The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 972

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Mr. North »

Anyone want to take a wild guess as to when they'll open the hiring portal again?
---------- ADS -----------

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Considering they are only just starting to video interview applicants from spring 2016 now I would think it will be a while until they are looking for more applicants. What will really matter is how many they hire from the PML carriers. If those companies beg for mercy then perhaps they will seek more OTS applicants as soon as late this year.

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

I (hopefully) will be contacted for a video interview soon - I received the initial positive e-mail in April 2016. Since then, I've been advised that essentially I "haven't been forgotten about" and to look forward to a resumption in the hiring process in the fall. I know a portion of the OTS applicants from that group since been interviewed and perhaps hired but I'm sure there are many in my position. Good luck to all.

flyhighneverdie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyhighneverdie »

What is the usual average time to be hired after passing a medical?

Jetstream930
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jetstream930 »

flyhighneverdie wrote:What is the usual average time to be hired after passing a medical?
I'm interested to know as well.

Malx24
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Malx24 »

Anyone who has recently done the interview and online aptitude exams have any insight they would like to share?

THLC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by THLC »

TC recently published its new Fatigue Management Regulations for comment and review. Does anyone one have any thoughts or predictions on how the changes may affect the hiring needs/practices at AC and the other big guys?

http://www.canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1 ... g2-eng.php

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

THLC wrote:TC recently published its new Fatigue Management Regulations for comment and review. Does anyone one have any thoughts or predictions on how the changes may affect the hiring needs/practices at AC and the other big guys?

AC's work rules already meet and in many cases exceed the requirements of the new rules, with one or two exceptions at Rouge. It will probably have a bigger effect at WJ/Transat but obviously the new rules fall well short of what was expected/hoped for.

PROC_HDG

lawndart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lawndart »

PROC_HDG wrote:
THLC wrote:TC recently published its new Fatigue Management Regulations for comment and review. Does anyone one have any thoughts or predictions on how the changes may affect the hiring needs/practices at AC and the other big guys?

AC's work rules already meet and in many cases exceed the requirements of the new rules, with one or two exceptions at Rouge. It will probably have a bigger effect at WJ/Transat but obviously the new rules fall well short of what was expected/hoped for.

PROC_HDG
A 13 hour duty day cap (home base start and stop) is a tighter limit than the current contract, as is the limit on reserve/duty time in a day. Some early departures out of Europe will also require an augment that do not require it now.

flyhighneverdie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyhighneverdie »

Malx24 wrote:Anyone who has recently done the interview and online aptitude exams have any insight they would like to share?
I would say read carefully the emails and instructions and there are plenty of cues on what is coming up and what to prepare for.

TrashHawler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TrashHawler »

Did the interview in Feb, medical in early March with no apparent issues. Recently got the PFO email. Any idea why?

From talking to other pilots at AC once a candidate is sent for the medical that is usually a good sign that an offer is forthcoming provided no issues with the medial.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

that is a kick in the back side....sorry to hear that

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

I know a couple other OTS that had medicals done and some mths later got the PFO. Must be the new HR trend.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

If it was due to a health issue with the medial you would think they would contact you. If not they aren't very good doctors.

Let’s Go Brandon
CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

thats alot of time you invested into both....to get PFO'd is concerning for other OTS's looking to apply if that is what is happening.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

I could be mistaken but I believe that they do the medical and reference checks at the same time immediately before an offer. This was to get the most current info and not burn you to your current employer and leave you there for months.

TrashHawler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TrashHawler »

Sharklasers wrote:I could be mistaken but I believe that they do the medical and reference checks at the same time immediately before an offer. This was to get the most current info and not burn you to your current employer and leave you there for months.
They contacted my reference 1 week prior to asking me for a medical. I'm at a loss at the PFO.

I'm a healthier guy than most. I still have the Dr's number. Part of me wants to call to see if there was anything wrong with the blood work. He had said at the time that he would call me if there were any issues and never did. But this was also in March and its now almost August.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Any chance at all for :weedman: ? Maybe something came out in the bloodwork?
I've never heard of someone getting a medical and a PFO afterwards (that doesn't mean much though).
AC invests a lot of time and money by the time a candidate gets to the medical and as many have said you would think that if a medical issue was "PFOable" they would let you know why.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

atphat wrote:Any chance at all for :weedman: ? Maybe something came out in the bloodwork?
I've never heard of someone getting a medical and a PFO afterwards (that doesn't mean much though).
AC invests a lot of time and money by the time a candidate gets to the medical and as many have said you would think that if a medical issue was "PFOable" they would let you know why.
You do the drug test first thing right in front of the nurse, she stirs your urine with the test strip while you sit together at a desk making small talk. I think he would know if he hit for drugs.

TrashHawler
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TrashHawler »

atphat wrote:Any chance at all for :weedman: ? Maybe something came out in the bloodwork?
Definitely no banned substances. I get tested randomly.

I should prolly give the Dr a call. Maybe I'm on borrowed time :S

Return to “Air Canada”