New rfp for all alberta medevac

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tailgunner
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: New rfp for all alberta medevac

#151 Post by tailgunner » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Don't assume that each 'point' is of the same value. The fact that Canwest has a sizeable First Nations component may have outweighed the fact that they are lacking any of the basic infrastructure.
Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

sfostersa
Rank 0
Rank 0

#152 Post by sfostersa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:50 pm

I agree that each componant is not neccessarily scored the same. Judging by all the talk in the media about land ya gotta think a facilty must be scored as one of the higher criteria. So again the point being that despite Canwest scoring low in this area for some reason Integra and Northern Air must have scored lower in other areas. We keep hearing what Canwest doesnt have. So what is it that the other two are missing?

Flypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

#153 Post by Flypilot » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:05 am

I have also heard the downtime numbers for each operator. The facts are Alberta Central and Canwest have a much better record and I'm sure that was factored into AHS decision when awarding the contract. Also one or both of the operators that lost did not bid new aircraft like Canwest.

Apetit
Rank 0
Rank 0

#154 Post by Apetit » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am

akiess wrote:AHS didn't pull the contract, it ended.. They spent so much time trying to get their " preferred candidate" to meet the RFP requirements that they ran out of time. They can't extend past March 31st and so they have backed themselves into a corner with Canwest. God Help us all April 1st, cause there won't be an operational medevac facility in the hat on that day.

That being said, Integra has done, and will continue to do an outstanding job with MEDEVAC until that end. We have done this as BAR XH since the beginning of air ambulance in this province and If anyone at AHS had any sense, they wouldn't be in this mess.

Integra Air is growing in new and exciting ways and won't be going anywhere April 1st. I invite anyone to apply and see why I personally don't want to fly with anyone else.
Thanks for explaining it. But I wish you would have done it in a different manner. I'm a newb in aviation, only been flying since 2014, and not familiar with Alberta operators. But I find your post somewhat condensending and arrogant. Something I'm not wanting to associate myself with.

tailgunner
Rank 6
Rank 6

#155 Post by tailgunner » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:52 am

Apetit,
It looks like you need to be handled with kid gloves, so here goes...if you think the response you received was condescending and arrogant, you need to quickly grow thicker skin. You will not last one minute in the world of aviation if these responses upset you. Become a librarian, work for Amnesty International, or save the whales, but do yourself a favour and do not pursue a career in aviation if you are this sensitive. Save your time and money now.
Unbelievable.
Cheers.

Ps. I have refrained from using crew house language, and pilot hangar talk, as I not sure that you could handle it. Please do Integra a favour and cross them off your list.

Apetit
Rank 0
Rank 0

#156 Post by Apetit » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:24 pm

tailgunner wrote:Apetit,
It looks like you need to be handled with kid gloves, so here goes...if you think the response you received was condescending and arrogant, you need to quickly grow thicker skin. You will not last one minute in the world of aviation if these responses upset you. Become a librarian, work for Amnesty International, or save the whales, but do yourself a favour and do not pursue a career in aviation if you are this sensitive. Save your time and money now.
Unbelievable.
Cheers.

Ps. I have refrained from using crew house language, and pilot hangar talk, as I not sure that you could handle it. Please do Integra a favour and cross them off your list.
Was that your failed attempt in trying to own me. I take you work there too?

Noted I'll cross Integra off my little list! :prayer:

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

#157 Post by co-joe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:52 pm

sfostersa wrote:So here's a question if anyone can answer please do. Ahs awarded the contract based on a points system/evaluation. Basically the providers that scores the best get the contract. Surely Canwest would have lost points for not having a hangar at yxh and ype. So what did Integra and Northern Air score low on that despite Canwest not having land at either airport they still got the contract? The hangar at a base would have only been part of the evaluation. For ahs to move forward with Canwest the other providers had to be lacking in other areas. Any ideas what?
That's the question. I know for a fact that all the operators in question bid with the 250 and the 200. They had to. That was the RFP.

What it looks like is that Canwest already had the contract long before it was officially awarded, despite not having hangars at 2 possibly 3 bases. (If ACA doesnt sell them a hangar in YQU then Happy Gas will have to break contracts and evict the tenants from their already full hangar.) That's in addition to lying about having hangars in YXH, and YPE.

It looks like a backroom deal got Canwest the contract totally outside of the RFP process. Classic politics. Odds are campaign contributions and greased palms are the true reason.

Billy the Goat
Rank 0
Rank 0

#158 Post by Billy the Goat » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:08 pm

co-joe wrote: It looks like a backroom deal got Canwest the contract totally outside of the RFP process. Classic politics. Odds are campaign contributions and greased palms are the true reason.
Odds are that AHS wanted nothing more to do with the current management group at Integra Air.

Rotorwash
Rank 0
Rank 0

#159 Post by Rotorwash » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:07 pm

Billy the ghost is it?....your pointless trolls and stabs at Integra are amusing at best ...i am sure that with your sterling character and vast knowledge and personal insight into Integra you were either fired as incompetent or quit because you didn't get your own way...or your just a total idiot.....
you must be senior management being as you know so very much about the amount of downtime on aircraft and of course you must also consult with every other operator that are involved to allow you to make an intelligent, well informed comparison regarding downtime...or you work at AHS and are breaching confidentiality by saying this....or your just full of crap ......I'm gonna go with the last one :lol:

As far as the who and why regarding the AHS contract no one knows why or how perhaps the NDP policy of Centralization or someone was bought off or maybe Canwest just put in an excellent bid speculate as you will I don't think anyone at either Integra or Northern can say.
Someone somewhere has an agenda and doesn't care who is hurts to achieve it.

At the end of March if Canwest doesn't have a base in peace river or medicine hat then what? It will go to the next candidate that can meet it or the service will be moved out of these communities and that would be a shame.

as i said before if you want to compete then do it fairly build a base and win by providing the best service at a good price.....I ask anyone...how did they get selected without a base? now AHS is using Northern and Integra to push thru their agenda no matter what the cost or damage.

sfostersa
Rank 0
Rank 0

#160 Post by sfostersa » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:50 pm

So here's a thought. If the communities do indeed stall the process of permitting Canwest to build a hangar, both Canwest and ahs can say well we tried, and now have a justifiable reason to move the base to a different airport. It seems not having a hangar isn't going to stall this. If that's the case wouldn't it make sense for the communities to get on board and work out a land deal rather than lose their medevac service all together. Ahs says that they won't move the base, but if they are committed to Canwest and can't work something out by April, they then have grounds to do so. At the end of the day not every town in Alberta is a medevac hub yet if there is an airport near by, service is available. If a hub moves the people of that town my lose that benefit but if a town of similar size picks it up than the number of Albertans benefitting with quick response service remains the same. When it's crunch time the government addresses the province as a whole not any one town.

Billy the Goat
Rank 0
Rank 0

#161 Post by Billy the Goat » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Rotorwash, the thing that people like you can't seem to comprehend is that your immediate resort to sarcasm and petty insults in an attempt to delegitimize others speaks volumes about your own character. Your speculation regarding my employment history is irrelevant, and is a feeble attempt to distract from the underlying issue. The fact is that the negative reputation that Integra has developed since its ownership change is well known throughout the 703/704 world. No amount of propaganda that you or any of your subordinates spew on here can whitewash over that.

Lvnedo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#162 Post by Lvnedo » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:12 am

tailgunner
Rank 6
Rank 6

#163 Post by tailgunner » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 am

It would be a political nightmare for the NDP if a city the size of Medicine Hat were to lose their airport based MEDEVAC. They will pull out all of the strings to ensure that it does not come to that. This contract award reeks of political interference from the outset, and now , after the awards, can one easily see the agenda.
This will be interesting to watch.

Billy the Goat
Rank 0
Rank 0

#164 Post by Billy the Goat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:40 pm

tailgunner wrote:This contract award reeks of political interference from the outset, and now , after the awards, can one easily see the agenda.
What is your perception of the agenda? To award it to the candidate best suited to providing the service for the next 10 years, or something more sinister?

All this talk of political interference, greased palms, and back room deals reminds me of the purported Trump-Russia connection. At the end of the day, in both this case and in that one, the other candidate lost for reasons that don't take a conspiracy theorist to explain.

tailgunner
Rank 6
Rank 6

#165 Post by tailgunner » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Let's see,
The winning bidder cannot provide, and has NO way of meeting the requirements for infrastructure at two locations. One would think that would be a huge liability in the awarding of the contract to that bidder. They were also awarded YQU without owning/ leasing infrastructure. The existing YQU operator, having infrastructure in place lost YQU, but was awarded YMM. Does this make any sense yet? The company that has benefited the most has been Canwest, even though they cannot meet some of the basic requirements . Canwest, as I understand it, has a large percentage of First Nations ownership, whilst the other tendering companies do not. One cannot be completely naïve to the fact that, maybe the NDP government via AHS , is intent on awarding government contracts to enterprises that are owned completely by, or have a substantial First Nations component. This is a political agenda being played out.
Cheers.

FlyingJ
Rank 0
Rank 0

#166 Post by FlyingJ » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:16 am

Canwest has ZERO First Nation ownership. Little Red Air was owned by the Little Red River Cree Nation, then ownership passed to a different group when Nor-Alta came in, and Canwest is made up of that same group (plus or minus a silent partner). That being said, the decades long relationship with the First Nations in northern Alberta is probably not a bad thing.

Billy the Goat
Rank 0
Rank 0

#167 Post by Billy the Goat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:26 pm

The changes in the base combinations were part of the RFP, so anyone bidding on YQU and YMM would have been aware of that. Secondly, the owner of Happy Gas in YQU is also a stakeholder in Canwest. I'm therefore quite sure that hangar space there is a non issue.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

#168 Post by co-joe » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Billy the Goat wrote:The changes in the base combinations were part of the RFP, so anyone bidding on YQU and YMM would have been aware of that. Secondly, the owner of Happy Gas in YQU is also a stakeholder in Canwest. I'm therefore quite sure that hangar space there is a non issue.
Except that hangar is full to the teeth. A friend tried to overnight his C-150 there and they had no room. To base a machine at Happy Gas, the size of a 250, they'd have to evict several tenants basically torpedoing a profitable business. If ACA doesn't part with their hangar at YQU, then quite possibly Canwest will have contracts at 3 different bases that they can't fulfil. What a shit show.

Where else are you going to base machines when the hospitals sending the patients are YPE, YQU, and YXH? The medics have bases, and staff at those bases and that contract has been awarded. Are you going to make the Medicine hat medics drive to Lethbridge for every flight? Make the Peace River medics drive to Manning or Grande Prairie for every flight. Those are the bases because that's where the patient transfers are coming from and going to.

tailgunner
Rank 6
Rank 6

#169 Post by tailgunner » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:29 am

I stand corrected on the FN investment level in Canwest. Thanks for correcting me.This contract awards still defy logic, and reason on so many levels. as a tax payer of this Alberta, this would anger me to no end.

MrWings
Rank 8
Rank 8

#170 Post by MrWings » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:44 pm

co-joe wrote:
Except that hangar is full to the teeth. A friend tried to overnight his C-150 there and they had no room. To base a machine at Happy Gas, the size of a 250, they'd have to evict several tenants basically torpedoing a profitable business. If ACA doesn't part with their hangar at YQU, then quite possibly Canwest will have contracts at 3 different bases that they can't fulfil. What a shit show.
Heard Canwest is taking over ACA's hangar in YQU.

Lvnedo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#171 Post by Lvnedo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:43 am

MrWings wrote:
co-joe wrote:
Heard Canwest is taking over ACA's hangar in YQU.

Rumore mill also says CanWest is trying to aquire the hanger in Medicine Hat that Integra is currently operating out of.
Last edited by Lvnedo on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cobra64
Rank 3
Rank 3

#172 Post by Cobra64 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:21 pm

Lvnedo wrote:

Rumore mill also says CanWest is trying to or has acquired the hanger in Medicine Hat that Integra is currently operating out of.

Well I'd be suprised if they weren't at least trying.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

#173 Post by co-joe » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Yeah it looks like ACA is playing ball. They have too much to lose if they don't.

Rightseatdriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

#174 Post by Rightseatdriver » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:14 am

co-joe wrote:Yeah it looks like ACA is playing ball. They have too much to lose if they don't.
What do you mean by "ACA is playing ball?" They lost their GP base, but let's not forget that they've accuired the Fort Mac base from Canwest and managed to keep labiche as per the RFP contract bid. It's all part of the contract.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

#175 Post by co-joe » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:50 am

Rightseatdriver wrote:
co-joe wrote:Yeah it looks like ACA is playing ball. They have too much to lose if they don't.
What do you mean by "ACA is playing ball?" They lost their GP base, but let's not forget that they've accuired the Fort Mac base from Canwest and managed to keep labiche as per the RFP contract bid. It's all part of the contract.
That's exactly what I mean. They could have refused to sell Canwest their YQU hangar but they'd have jeopardized gaining the YMM contract so they played ball. If they'd done so, Canwest would have 3 bases with no hangars.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”