Good License Conversion Advice please

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Wicked84
Rank 0
Rank 0

Good License Conversion Advice please

Post by Wicked84 »

Good Morning All.

I have recently returned from Canada, where I completed my Cat 1 Medical. (Now waiting for TC to issue it so I can continue)

I would like to ask some advice, as the best route to take. I hold a expired (soon to be renewed) South African CPL with a Multi engine, IF, Grade 2 instructors(600hrs), ATPL subjects completed, 2000TT. (just putting it out there for complete clarity on the subject and best advice).

I need to convert my license to TC. Now, most of the process I understand, medical, exams flight test etc.

What do not understand is what to do with the C208 PPC. I hold 1000+ hours on the C208, but I have not flown for almost two years (at all).
Can I do a PPC in Canada without a employer? Do I need to even do it? Is there a sim in Canada or do I have to do it on an aircraft? Where can I do it?

Before I go to Canada again to start/complete the conversion, I will be proficient in the C208 (SACAA) and have a fresh license when I get to Canada again. So I need to be Okayed to fly the C208 in Canada basically, but I will NOT have 50 hours on type in the last 12 months.

Also, do I need to rewrite the ATPL completely?

I will be very time limited with regards to the conversion so I cannot afford hick-ups to delay the process.

Thank you in advance for any input
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Wicked84 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Good License Conversion Advice please

Post by DrSpaceman »

Do you have the right to work in Canada?

Wicked84
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wicked84 »

Not yet, busy with the process. Will get there.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Contact Transport Canada directly for confirmation on what you need to so. Send your info to this email - plo-lpopnr@tc.gc.ca - and relate all your info and questions. It may take a bit of back and forth to get everything clear but you will wind up with documented info on what needs to be done.

No matter how well intentioned anyone's response on here will be it's quite possible it won't be exactly correct. Since it's TC that has to be satisfied, it's best to get the straight info from them.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Wicked84
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wicked84 »

How long do they normally take to reply?

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Usually you will get a reply within a couple of days but it may take up to a week or so. Depends on volume and staffing of course as summer and holidays can slow things up a bit.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
Wicked84
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wicked84 »

Thank you. Much Appreciated

Return to “Flight Training”