Lake St. John accident

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Lake St. John accident

Post by North Shore »

My best wishes to DAR for a full, and speedy, recovery!
---------- ADS -----------

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Best wishes pilotDar.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

Lets have you well Jim. all the best. You sure add a sober, professional voice around this forum.

Sulako
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Sulako »

Sending you good karma, Jim! I hope your recovery is speedy. Know that we are thinking about you :)

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Any news? Hospital in Toronto? Please PM. thanks

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

News article from 2 days ago: http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/plane-wreckage ... -1.3506237

"“He is in intensive care. He's had several operations, but he is in recovery mode"

We're all rooting for you Jim. Look forward to hearing from you again!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Sulako wrote:Sending you good karma, Jim! I hope your recovery is speedy. Know that we are thinking about you :)
+1 for sure.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

Cador is out.
Narrative: TSB Report#A17O0149: a privately operated Lake LA-4-200 amphibious aircraft, was practising touch and go water landings on Lake St John near Orillia, ON (CNJ4) with a pilot and an instructor on board. During one of the manoeuvers, the aircraft collided with the surface of the water. Both pilots were seriously injured and taken to the hospital. The aircraft was substantially damaged and sank to the bottom of the lake.

Get better Jim, we're all looking forward to hearing from you.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I can't say I enjoy reading about any accident but it is a bit worse when people get hurt.

Pilotdar, I sincerely hope you fully recover.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
WastedFlyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by WastedFlyer »

YYZSaabGuy wrote:Sorry to hear PilotDAR was involved - I caught the original story last night and was hoping to hear the opposite.

He's an extremely credible member of this forum who consistently gives back with educated, experienced, and humble contributions to those threads with which he gets involved. Here's hoping his recovery is swift and trouble-free, and that he's back with us very soon!
Just learning about this now... :shock: YYZSaabGuy, I couldn not agree more... I'm a newbie in the forum and PilotDAR has definitely stood out for his useful, friendly and wise advise... I look forward to read more of his posts in the forum after he has fully recovered...

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

We are very fortunate that PilotDAR did something that not all floatplane/amphib pilots do. According to one of the articles I read, the pilots were wearing lifevests.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

pelmet wrote:We are very fortunate that PilotDAR did something that not all floatplane/amphib pilots do. According to one of the articles I read, the pilots were wearing lifevests.
Yes, that was mentioned in the link I posted (same one as Cat). I couldn't ever see Jim flying an amphib without them:
PilotDAR wrote: I can happily report that every person who we were called to rescue, who unexpectedly entered the water, and was wearing a life jacket when they did, was rescued with no further injury. Unhappily, nearly all of the people who went in without wearing a life jacket did not survive.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

Yup, as a new pilot and new to amphibious planes Jim and I talked for hours before I bought my Lake. This weekend while flying up to the cottage everyone who got in the plane for a ride, including me, had a life vest on and a full briefing on what can happen.

To me that is that value of this forum. To allow all of us to learn from each other's experience's and improve.

Thanks Jim!

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

its about time we had a Jim update.
pm even.
Cheers

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

I met Jim a little over a month ago when he came out east for some work. He had done some DAR work for us several months ago and we were hoping to fly together when he came east. He seemed like a really nice guy and very knowledgeable, and reading through the comments, it seems he is highly regarded among his peers, too. I hope he has a speedy recovery and is back in the air before too long.

Best wishes, and prayers for your recovery, Jim!

Debbie

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I've never met Jim, but from everything I've seen on this forum he is a wealth of knowledge and a respected opinion within the community. Jim, take your time, the road to recovery can be a long and frustrating one.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Hello everyone, thanks for your words of support. Today is my first day in a wheel chair, and some time on my computer to reply to kind words.

I've had many surgeries, and a whole bunch of metal screwed into both legs. No weight bearing on feet or left shoulder for several months, and in the hospital for the duration. The other pilot with me was less badly injured, though has also had surgery, and is recovering.

I cannot state details about the accident, though its weird what your mind suppresses in any case. Later, I hope to gather thoughts for everyone, based upon my experience.....

Thanks for your support - Jim

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Happy to hear you are on the mend!

Keep the dirty side down.
crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

Its goooood to see you back Jim! Yesterday, I had a little biking accident and it reminded me of just how fragile life can be and life changing circumstances can happen in fractions of seconds ( I cannot pinpoint why it happened ) HUMBLING for me! I hope you recover speedily !

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”