Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: foreign pilots in 'merika

Post by complexintentions »

Diadem wrote:
altiplano wrote:You save more than the cost of insurance in taxes.
http://www.investopedia.com/financial-e ... icans.aspx
That's not true at all. Depending on which province/state you live in and which tax bracket you fall into, you may pay less tax in Canada than the US, while also receiving universal health care. Unfortunately I can't remember the exact article, but I read an analysis which showed that an average Canadian earning $90000/year will pay less tax overall than Americans living in all but a couple of states; when you factor in sales, consumption, and other taxes, in addition to income taxes, Americans tend to pay more and get less.
I don't find the article credible at all. One quote:
U.S. federal income tax brackets range from 10% to 35% for individuals. On the Canadian side, the range is 15% to 29%. In the U.S., the lowest tax bracket bumps to 15% at $8,500 and to 25% at $34,501. The bottom Canadian bracket stays at 15% until $41,544. This is the bulk of the reason that lower-income Canadians are often better off than Americans in an identical tax situation. On the other hand, the IRS taxes the richest Americans at 35% whereas the top federal tax rate in Canada is 29%.
Canada has a progressive tax system, which means there is no single tax rate. Setting aside that the 29% federal Canadian rate mentioned was raised to 33%, it completely omits the fact that the highest marginal rate in Canada now ranges from 48% (Alberta, Yukon) to 54% (Nova Scotia). There is nothing remotely comparable to this in the US.

And if we're going to include to include universal healthcare as a major cost savings for Canadians versus Americans, then we also have to look at what for most people is their single biggest monthly cost: housing. That ends the "Americans tend to pay more and get less" argument pretty right quick.

About the only remotely valuable piece from the article was this:
Comparing income taxes in the United States and Canada requires an analysis of the benefits received for those taxes and any other out-of-pocket costs outside of taxes. Each taxpayer's individual situation will determine whether they would be financially better off in one country over the other.
Exactly.

Sure, I would rather be poor in Canada. But if one's goal is something other than poverty, I'd take the US any day. If you want just enough, with any shortfall taken from others willing to work harder or take more risks or get more education than you, choose Canada.
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

it also only mentions federal tax rates... in Canada the provinces all rape you for taxes heavily on top of the federal rates. The U.S. has states with no state income tax.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

complexintentions wrote: Sure, I would rather be poor in Canada. But if one's goal is something other than poverty, I'd take the US any day. If you want just enough, with any shortfall taken from others willing to work harder or take more risks or get more education than you, choose Canada.
I wouldn't be so sure. When you start throwing in health care premiums, insurance, schools (if you have kids) etc, the costs of living starts to look fairly similar. At least, that is the conclusion I've always come to when looking into the prospect of working south of the border.

The thing that always got me was the idea of paying thousands of dollars a year for health insurance and still running the risk of having to pay thousands (or h undreds of thousands)out of pocket for a condition that the HMO, through tricky legalize, claims they do not cover. Despite the improvements to health care under the Obama administration (which mostly dont affect people in this income bracket we're talking about), the regulation of HMOs is still frankly pretty poor and would worry me if I lived there.

PROC_HDG

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Timely article in the Globe about this: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion ... e35777320/

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

Something else to take into account is that despite all the talk of the great pilot shortage, there is no evidence that it is actually affecting the hiring practices of the US majors yet. American, Delta and Untied are still hiring high time pilots with multiple university degrees, checking and chief pilot experience, military etc. If you take a look at This Thread you can get an idea of what it takes to be competitive.

Truth is, if they ever do open up the borders to foreigners, the vast majority of those jobs are going to come from the regionals, who are hurting the most for qualified guys.

PROC_HDG

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

In my old age and reading/hearing many debates on Canada vs US health care, one thing I can say for certain. None of it is free, we are taxed heavily here but Americans pay(at times quite heavy) out of pocket.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

However if you need medical care in the USA you get it when you need it.

In Canada you have to wait so long by the time you get it it could be to late.

I have been over two years now trying to get a couple of simple eye problems taken care of.

If I knew two years ago what I know now I would have gone across the border and paid cash and had it done properly and when it should have been done.

Canada's health care is a disgrace to any modern society.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

I used our Medical system in a few Provinces outside of my home spot on a couple of occasions, one issue was quite serious that required a trek to a hospital emergency. I was seen to as quickly as possible and my NS Medicare card was valid no issues. Speaking for myself only of course, system worked great for me and I was quite satisfied.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

there is a big difference between an emergency and needing non emergency treatment.

Also it is inconceivable that any medical system is designed around a eight am to five pm hours of service five days a week.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dumbbell daddy »

False.

US Majors hiring foreigners = not gonna happen anytime soon.

I actually emailed the respective HR departments of United, Delta, American and Southwest. Who the hell wouldn't want to be based somewhere down south? Southwest and American actually replied back to me. They said their hiring needs are met with plenty of qualified degree, candidates coming from the military and the regionals.

Shoot me a PM and I will gladly share the emails.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Cat Driver wrote:there is a big difference between an emergency and needing non emergency treatment.

Also it is inconceivable that any medical system is designed around a eight am to five pm hours of service five days a week.
Yes, I am aware of that as have family members in the Health Field. Emergency medical services to all CDN citizens no matter what Province is on par with any First World Industrial nation bar none. Elective procedures is another matter no doubt about it and depending on the procedure involved, locations and Hospital staff delays and cancellations are par for the course. Lucky for me I never was subject to that but I have heard of positive and negative experiences. Again I am just speaking for myself and my own experiences. That's all I can speak for.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

The best by far medical service I ever received was in Saudi Arabia, but of course that is not a country.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Saudi isn't a country? :rolleyes:

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Old fella wrote:I used our Medical system in a few Provinces outside of my home spot on a couple of occasions, one issue was quite serious that required a trek to a hospital emergency. I was seen to as quickly as possible and my NS Medicare card was valid no issues. Speaking for myself only of course, system worked great for me and I was quite satisfied.

I also had some significant medical issues dealt with quickly and efficiently. In two provinces, with no hassle.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Cat Driver wrote:However if you need medical care in the USA you get it when you need it...I would have gone across the border and paid cash and had it done properly and when it should have been done.
That's exactly the problem with the American system: it's great for those with money, and terrible for anyone without. I'd much rather live in a country where I could go get the same level of treatment regardless of my ability to pay than one in which the poor are ignored while the wealthy are moved to the front of the line; I'm well-off now, but if I lost my job I might not be able to pay for medical care. My kids will never have to worry about whether they can go to the hospital, or if doing so will put them into debt, even as broke students. When I'm retired and my savings are dwindling, I won't be forced to stay home and rot until I die.
Canada's health care is a disgrace to any modern society.
Why, because we treat everyone fairly? The attitude of "I got mine, jack, so you can go screw" really creates a wonderful society. Move to Saudi Arabia if you're not happy with Canada.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Saudi isn't a country? :rolleyes:
Saudi Arabia (/ˌsɔːdiː əˈreɪbiə/ (About this sound listen), /ˌsaʊ-/ (About this sound listen)), officially the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA),[c] is an Arab sovereign state in Western Asia constituting the bulk of the Arabian Peninsula.

Saudi Arabia is considered a " Kingdom " by their citizens.

Saudi Arabia is a very difficult place to get a visa to go here.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Move to Saudi Arabia if you're not happy with Canada.
No I have no desire to move to Saudi Arabia, however the three times I stayed there was interesting to say the least.

Public headings are not my idea of entertainment.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Diadem wrote: That's exactly the problem with the American system: it's great for those with money, and terrible for anyone without. I'd much rather live in a country where I could go get the same level of treatment regardless of my ability to pay than one in which the poor are ignored while the wealthy are moved to the front of the line; I'm well-off now, but if I lost my job I might not be able to pay for medical care. My kids will never have to worry about whether they can go to the hospital, or if doing so will put them into debt, even as broke students. When I'm retired and my savings are dwindling, I won't be forced to stay home and rot until I die.
If you honestly believe the wealthy in Canada receive the same level of treatment as the poor you are woefully deceived. As far as you, your kids (or their kids) not having to "worry about whether they can go to the hospital", well, we'll see, as the system slowly (or perhaps not so slowly) collapses under the weight of an aging population (the vast proportion of healthcare is consumed in the last few years of life). This awesome system may not be around in it's present form by the time you're retired, it's simply not sustainable - no matter how good in principle. Incidentally I fully agree that everyone should have access to basic healthcare. But when there are more retirees and "broke students" than there are people contributing financially to the system, it ain't gonna work. Sorry. Math trumps philosophy, every time.

The latest desperate government attempts to redistribute money from professionals like doctors by changing tax laws won't exactly help, either! lol Stand by for even more shortages of services.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The difference in standard of living/cost of living in the US vs Canada for those earning over $100k/yr is substantial. Taxation is the largest differentiator. Recall that there are many forms and levels of taxation.

If you work fo an employer with a good health care plan arrangement and decent pension provisions (i.e. anymajor US airline) then you will be living a comfortable lifestyle as a new-hire at $100k and will be well ahead of the curve as income increases ($250k+ as a NB CA).

However, from an overall societal perspective, Canada does a better job of wealth redistribution in order to prevent abject poverty and the associated negative consequences on the overall population.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Well Rudder, I will take issue with your last paragraph. Canada is not the beacon that shines its light on rest of humanity. We have blemishes and I will start at the Residencial School debacle amongst others. Our moral superiority is a tad disingenuous even when mixed with our many positive attributes and I personally don't get carried away amongst comparisons to the US of A.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”