College/ University or flight school

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

CanadianAviatrix
Rank 0
Rank 0

College/ University or flight school

Post by CanadianAviatrix »

I am originally from Quebec and recently moved to Sault Ste. Marie. I was accepted to Sault College last year (Fall 2016). I had applied for government funding from the Quebec government, and long story short, was denied because it was an out of province flight program. I completed the first semester at the college, but had to take a year off since I do not have the money to pay for school to be eligible for OSAP. Managed to get a good paying job making $53,000/ year. I really miss flying and working this job will allow me to clear all my personal debt before the end of the year. I can only attend Sault College as of January 2018, and I'm hoping OSAP comes through. I had completed my PPL in Montreal before coming,( had taken a loan through Desjardins and am still paying it back). My question is, would it be smarter for me to stay and complete Sault College or work another year at this company, save as much as possible, and do it privately?? I am currently 26 and have no degree or diploma - completed some cegep just never graduated
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by CanadianAviatrix on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: College/ University or flight school

Post by MarkyMark90 »

It depends of your education level. How old are you? Do you have any degrees in another field?

My dream is to fly... Over the rainbow, so high!!
CanadianAviatrix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Did some cegep but did not finish and I'm 26 ATM

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Of course, the airlines are asking more and more a bachelor degree (aviation or anything else). This might be a bit harder for you to get a job at a major airline if you don't have one.

Harder doesn't mean impossible. Everything has to do with your logbook and your interview. If you have the numbers and you're able to make a strong impression on your interview, you have a shot!

How long do you still have to do at Sault College to get your degree?

Feel free to PM me, I'm from Montreal too and I'm just about to graduate from my CPL.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Keep in mind that university/college is just one or more points. So is jet time, speaking French, EFIS, etc.

Ordinary_peter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ordinary_peter »

How Many points is needed for job?

MarkyMark90
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MarkyMark90 »

Points???

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Ordinary_peter wrote:How Many points is needed for job?
Last time I checked, you needed 8 points.. but it might be down to 7 now with the pilot shortage.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

You wont have any problem finding work with any regional without a degree. At this point in time though, the majors still want it. Will that change in the future? Who knows.. there have been points in time where AC did not require a degree.

Future_Sunwing_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Future_Sunwing_pilot »

The aviation program at Sault College is covered by OSAP in terms of tuition wise, flying wise is substituted, so if your eligible depending on your income and other factors you shouldn't worry, apply while ahead to make sure OSAP can process your information.

Last edited by Future_Sunwing_pilot on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Floatr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Floatr »

Flying "wise" is "substituted" with what at Sault College...training as an AME...???

CanadianAviatrix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks to everyone that took the time to reply! I think I'm going to stick it out with school and continue with this route for now.

mike123
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mike123 »

Some of my former students now work for Jazz, Westjet, Air Canada - none of them has a degree.

Future_Sunwing_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Future_Sunwing_pilot »

Floatr wrote:Flying "wise" is "substituted" with what at Sault College...training as an AME...???
You dont pay for the flight training as you would with a flight school, somehow they get it from tax-payers or something like that, so u only pay for tuition covering the courses at the school.

Return to “Flight Training”