Is pay not as bad as people make it seem?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

daniele.fix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is pay not as bad as people make it seem?

Post by daniele.fix »

As you all know avcanada is full of bashing jazz for pay. Say you're a first year F/O:
Some people say its horrible, some are saying its better than encore, yet I'm still seeing people posting about making like 50K without overtime. It seems all over the place to me.

What are you guys actually going home with for money? Trying to compare this to an encore post I made. Feel free to PM!
---------- ADS -----------

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Is pay not as bad as people make it seem?

Post by iflyroads »

daniele.fix wrote: .... I'm still seeing people posting about making like 50K without overtime.

There is no way that's possible. With overtime for sure I can see them make the 50k, but without OT I doubt they come near it. If I'm wrong, i will gladly print this thread off and eat it.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

Are they including their per diems? Per diems will be around the 1000-1200 per month.

Flyer

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

First year for me... 47K Gross working 1-2 well negotiated WDO's per month.
Per diems looking like 1300-1500 per month, I spend half of that. That is an extra 8k ish of in my pocket money.

Salary for the first year isn't as bad as they say, but it's pretty crappy when you work 16-18 days per month.
** And yes, I'm in my twenties living in my parent's basement.

Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pt6-42 »

FL-280 wrote:First year for me... 47K Gross working 1-2 well negotiated WDO's per month.
Per diems looking like 1300-1500 per month, I spend half of that. That is an extra 8k ish of in my pocket money.

Salary for the first year isn't as bad as they say, but it's pretty crappy when you work 16-18 days per month.
** And yes, I'm in my twenties living in my parent's basement.
So your saying with out over time its $1100 plus $700 perdiums every 2 weeks?

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

That's not how we get paid. You get a pay advance on the 25th then a pay on the 10th to complete your last month. Depends what you do with your time bank etc....

Plus my statement included 1 - 2 overtimes per month. I have no idea how you read no overtime.

Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

Phew... we dodged another "you shouldn't count per diems as part of your income vs yeah you should!" Argument. :rolleyes:

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Mid 40's for first year with Per Diems and Salary. If you pay into the ESP its a little lower but make more money when they pay out the 60% annually. Again a little less if you have a spouse on your health benefits (costs a decent chunk to have them on your plan as well). But over all its mid 40's first year and goes up slightly slightly for the next 4 years. Best to just upgrade ASAP.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

You are looking at approximately 1000 a month depending on provincial taxes. As a block holder, your perdiem should be over 1000 a month. It will be less if you are taking advantage of the ESOP.

There is plenty of overtime available for those who want it. Even if you just fly your block, it is likely you end up doing OT.

The pay is no where near what it should be, but looking long term, Jazz is certainly not a bad place to be. Most bases are seeing captain upgrades around 1.5 years seniority.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Without being an overtime whore.. my T4 as a first year FO was 43k. There was an additional 16.5k in tax free per diems.

Easily on track to be touching 90k year one as a Capt. making just a touch less in per diems as I bid reserve to get days off that I want.

While this is not perfect or even great, it's not as terrible as some people have tried to showcase it as.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Year 1 pay.

January to the end of June I have grossed $24,500. This based on a mid 80's blocking window and approx 2-3 WDOs a month (usually a quick turn @ total credit of 6.75).

That is not including per diems, which for the same date range is $7800.

So you can do the math..

I have on average 15-16 days off a month depending on how much OT I want to work.

Last edited by Black_Tusk on Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pt6-42
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Pt6-42 »

Black_Tusk wrote:Year 1 pay.

January to the end of July I have grossed $24,500. This based on a mid 80's blocking window and approx 2-3 WDOs a month (usually a quick turn @ total credit of 6.75).

So you can do the math..

I have on average 15-16 days off a month depending on how much OT I want to work.
So your getting $2700 after tax per month? Confirm?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Pt6-42 wrote:

January to the end of July I have grossed $24,500. This based on a mid 80's blocking window and approx 2-3 WDOs a month (usually a quick turn @ total credit of 6.75).

So you can do the math..

Give or take $100-$200. Some months I work more some I work less but I take home around that, yes. Plus per diems. And I know it's not considered income, but I do not spend even close to my per diems per month especially having the lounge card. So a lot of that money makes it's way into my fridge at home... So take that consideration too you want. I do ok, and no I don't live in my parents basement and have a fairly expensive rent payment. I don't feel that I'm paycheck to paycheck.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Any of your per diem money you do not spend during the month is money you earned as long as you do not give it back to the company......

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Flaps2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flaps2 »

Black_Tusk wrote:
Pt6-42 wrote:

So you can do the math..

Give or take $100-$200. Some months I work more some I work less but I take home around that, yes. Plus per diems. And I know it's not considered income, but I do not spend even close to my per diems per month especially having the lounge card. So a lot of that money makes it's way into my fridge at home... So take that consideration too you want. I do ok, and no I don't live in my parents basement and have a fairly expensive rent payment. I don't feel that I'm paycheck to paycheck.
You must be getting some overtime. Right? I have few sources saying it's closer to 2100 month plus $800 perdium.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Flaps2 wrote:
Black_Tusk wrote:
Pt6-42 wrote:
You must be getting some overtime. Right? I have few sources saying it's closer to 2100 month plus $800 perdium.
I'm not going to post screenshots of my payslips so you can believe me or not. WDO = overtime... and like I said in the previous posts I do 2-3 a month, however this month I did none.

I worked 15 days in July and had 16 days off. Next month I have 17 scheduled days off, all my weekends off and blocked at 84 hours.

A month were I do overtime I usually end up between 100-110 credit hours, and 14ish days off.

You can make as little or as much as you want, I think the highest month I had was 122 credits. This was when I was based in YUL and had nothing else to do so I did a lot of O/T.

edit; I also made a mistake in the numbers before. The $24,500 is actually only from January to the end of June.

Last edited by Black_Tusk on Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:04 am, edited 7 times in total.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Keep in mind your mileage may vary slightly based on what type you fly and what base you're at. I fly the RJ out west which has the highest credit pairings in the system and some of the best overnights for per diems. A -8 guy in say, YUL or YYZ may make less.
Cat Driver wrote:Any of your per diem money you do not spend during the month is money you earned as long as you do not give it back to the company......
Agreed.

AA123455
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AA123455 »

I usually work 100 credits/month +- about 10 hours. I havn't worked less than 90 credits in almost a year. I usually work 20 or 22 days a month. 18 scheduled days with 2 or 4 WDO days.

AA123455
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AA123455 »

I usually work 100 credits/month +- about 10 hours. I havn't worked less than 90 credits in almost a year. I usually work 20 or 22 days a month. 18 scheduled days with 2 or 4 WDO days.

Harley2014
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Harley2014 »

$1010 every two weeks take home on a block with no overtime paying higher taxes in Quebec. 1000-1200 a month in per diems. If you are commuting you will spend the majority of if unless you live in a cheap crash pad

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”