What do you think of the new uniforms?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: What do you think of the new uniforms?

Post by rudder »

I thought that it was 'wear tested'...... were all of the testers 24 years old with 30" waist?

Pretty tough fit for everybody else.
---------- ADS -----------

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

I love the beard rule. It came out while I was on a couple days off. I was the first one I know to have one. Could only keep it for 3 weeks and then had to shave it, was so itchy! I am ex Air Force.... 21 years... was nice to finally be able to grow a beard!!! I will have it back come winter for sure, maybe just a goatee.

As far as the uniform. Can't say I liked the old or the new. This is the first job I have had that I had to wear a tie to go flying. Personally I think it is ridiculous. I very nice golf shirt, embroidered wings, and some classy khakis! Wore a flight suit to work for 25 years (Air Force, then up north) and that was more than professional enough. This whole double breasted suit thing needs to go away, should have with the 50's. I wear the uniform cause have to for the pay cheque, but think it is crazy that this day and age people think you need a tie to look professional enough to fly an airplane.

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

Go back to the Air force then

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

I was never in the airforce and I totally agree with him. Do you have somewhere I can go?

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ZBBYLW »

I also agree. Its one thing if the suits were tailored and fit great on everyone. But in my opinion a poor fitting jacket looks more tacky than no tunic.

Many US carriers have a leather bomber style. I wish we had gone that route. I am okay with the shirt and tie but i dont really ever wear the tunic.

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Alcoholism wrote:Go back to the Air force then

No they pay so will wear it. Don't have to like it, and if ever get the chance to push for a big change you can bet I will. You think wearing a tie makes you a better more professional pilot, I can bullshit. It looks like we are trying to be train conductors from the 1900's. It is 70 years or tradition unencumbered by progress. I bet that tire sure helped the guys in SFO.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Skyhunter wrote:
Alcoholism wrote:Go back to the Air force then

No they pay so will wear it. Don't have to like it, and if ever get the chance to push for a big change you can bet I will. You think wearing a tie makes you a better more professional pilot, I can bullshit. It looks like we are trying to be train conductors from the 1900's. It is 70 years or tradition unencumbered by progress. I bet that tire sure helped the guys in SFO.

If anyone is curious as to why we wear what we wear, read this wiki. They mimicked ship naval crew when air travel first became more mainstream. That is the only reason why.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airline_pilot_uniforms
Because Pan Am operated flying boats, the company decided to step away from the WWI military pilot look and dress their line pilots in an outfit closely resembling naval officer uniforms; the flight crews were just as much sea skippers as air pilots, and seeing a formally attired seafaring professional in the pilot seat allowed nervous passengers to feel more confident about the trip. Therefore, pilots were issued black trousers, black double-breasted blazers, with sleeve braid loops on the lower sleeves denoting crew member rank, and white officer-style combination caps with either gold or silver insignia depicting either airline name or logo. Pan Am's success in the 1930s, and quick development in the 1950s, led to the establishment of one of the largest and most well-known world-class airlines. Many other operators, wishing to emulate Pan Am's success, adopted the slick look of the PanAm pilot for their own crews.

Eighty years later, practically every airline in the world issues uniforms similar to naval-style Pan Am designs, regardless of the fact that the B314 or any other flying boats are no longer used in the mainstream commercial airline industry.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

What's up with the fake back pockets on the pants??

MortyBubba
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MortyBubba »

I spoke with UniSync and they said that the fake back pocket was part of the design.

I have had to return the pants as the waist was too small and the 4 shirts because the next was too tight. I couldn't even button up the collar.

I mentioned to them that everything did fit nicely at the uniform fitting (which now seems like a waste of my time) but now I have to return stuff.

Like the others above. Time to buy my own pants.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Call the uniform rep and complain! The pants I got are garbage and the tie even though it's a 'tall' is half inch shorter than my previous one. I'll second the fact that the fitting was a waste of time.

No back pocket.... what genius allowed that to happen

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I hope people are actually sending feedback to the email address that was listed on the info sheet. We shouldn't have to go buy pants on our own just to be comfortable. I would think that if enough complaints are recieved, they would make some changes.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

skypirate88 wrote:I hope people are actually sending feedback to the email address that was listed on the info sheet. We shouldn't have to go buy pants on our own just to be comfortable. I would think that if enough complaints are recieved, they would make some changes.
My pants are garbage... I gave up. I bought some from A Cut Above and they fit perfect. I don't know how it was so hard to make a pair of well fitting pants...

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

I find the new pants much more comfortable than the previous pairs. I went out and bought my own pants last time because I didn't like the clown pants look when we switched suppliers. I'm curious, what doesn't fit well? Are people really upset there is no back pocket? Do you fly all day sitting on your wallet?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

atphat wrote:I find the new pants much more comfortable than the previous pairs. I went out and bought my own pants last time because I didn't like the clown pants look when we switched suppliers. I'm curious, what doesn't fit well? Are people really upset there is no back pocket? Do you fly all day sitting on your wallet?
The upper leg is way to tight. Short, long.. doesn't matter. I already went up to a 34 inch waist (I am a 32) in order to get my upper leg to fit. I can't go up to a 36 since then it will need a ridiculous amount of alterations including the waist and lower leg.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Khakis and a golf shirt? Buddy go work at Best Buy. I'm surprised for the suit hate. I like the tradition and take a lot of pride in the uniform. You guys want to wear golf shirts and probably carry a backpack around because it's comfortable. SMDH

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Looks like the pants were designed by the Hutterites. No back pocket because the back pocket is where the devil grabs you to pull you into hell.

livinlife
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by livinlife »

I find it fits really nicely, although I am not a big lover of the fake back pockets. I'm 5'8" slim build......I can see it being a bit awkward for the "big boned" guys. :lol:

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Dockjock wrote:Khakis and a golf shirt? Buddy go work at Best Buy. I'm surprised for the suit hate. I like the tradition and take a lot of pride in the uniform. You guys want to wear golf shirts and probably carry a backpack around because it's comfortable. SMDH
What's wrong with being comfortable at work? I already don't wear the company supplied shirts because they suck. If I'm in it all day, I want to be comfortable and look professional. The supplied uniform items do not do that without extreme modifications. I'm not talking khakis and a golf shit.. don't know where you got that from.

Enough about the "history and pride of the uniform." It's a job... and people want to be comfortable while at work. Times are changing.. I can count on one hand the amount of under 40's that I see wear the tunic on a regular basis. Heck even the older guys leave it at home. If they would have done a true modernization of the uniform like they said they were, we'd have a bomber jacket as an option, a two button single breasted jacket and the hat would be gone.

We don't fly boats for Pan Am anymore.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

livinlife wrote:I find it fits really nicely, although I am not a big lover of the fake back pockets. I'm 5'8" slim build......I can see it being a bit awkward for the "big boned" guys. :lol:
It seems like the uni was made for someone of your build. Which is great for you, just sucks for some of us... :(

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Dockjock wrote:Khakis and a golf shirt? Buddy go work at Best Buy. I'm surprised for the suit hate. I like the tradition and take a lot of pride in the uniform. You guys want to wear golf shirts and probably carry a backpack around because it's comfortable. SMDH

"Buddy" you need to get a life. It is just flying a bus around the sky. Some responsibility to do it right and be safe but there is nothing in this job requiring a suit. I have been flying for 33 years. Never needed a suit and tie to make me "professional" enough to do the job. It looks terrible, uncomfortable as shit. I would like to be comfy at work. I can be way more professional that way. I have to wear it to cause the company says so. Don't have to like it.

Buddy you wanna wear a suit go work at a law firm.

Return to “Air Canada”