Harv's Air CYAV??

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ready2move
Rank 1
Rank 1

Harv's Air CYAV??

Post by ready2move »

So rumor has it good old harv has bought the old WFC hanger. Dose anybody know what his plan is, how much is he moving over there? I would asume he would not give up his Stienbach pad entirely. Anyone in the know, A curious ex-instructor would like to know?
---------- ADS -----------

like2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by like2fly »

ready2move,

Check your PM.

TTail
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TTail »

Share the info. I'm curious to know if the Penner's are going to branch out to St. Andrews.

mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

I really doubt it. Harv's is a very successful operation. They own there own strip, hangers, and aircraft. From a business perspective, purchasing a very expensive hanger with a large rental factor seems illogical.
Why would he want to change his successful model?...He likely doesn't.
There is also no sign of this on there very extensive and up to date website.

peterparka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by peterparka »

Harv's has a huge staff and many resources, I think it is a good move to get a well established school back at St. Andrews. Even if it is just a small satellite to balance out so Winnipeg Aviation doesent get to relaxed being the only one on the field. Competition is Good!

=ADVERTISE HERE=
mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

The latest rumour is the sale is with the lawyers now, and is some type of purchase of the flying club building and a satellite school arrangement. The Red River college program will supposively run out of there. I guess my previous post was just wrong. But I still think it's a very risky proposition.

Hotel Tango
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Hotel Tango »

thecaptain
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by thecaptain »

No rumour... it's true.

Harv's Air is certainly up and running in YAV and started off with another batch of cadets. International students are starting to roll in now and the staff that is maintained at the YAV are booked solid. As for the plans... this IS rumor... another 172, Warrior, and 152... possibly another twin if the demand is there. The warrior will most likely happen because the one they have now is racking up the hours. The current fleet gets moved back and forth via ferry flights by dispatchers or instructors for maint, plus they have a local guy they use too when the planes are absolutely needed with no delay. So what do they have at the school NOW?? 3 152s, 2 172s, the navajo, and the citabria. That will expand as new aircraft are purchased from my understanding...

The dorms are full now too and they do own all the hanger space plus the school, outright.

This isn't slowing things down at the South location either... both schools are very busy. I know it's busy enough in KK7 that an MF is being seriously considered, but there are other reasons for that... big yellow loud one... :D

Tholl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tholl »

Hars, Harvs, Harvs, ....
I currently fly at CYAV with wpg aviation and am just finishing up some PIC for my CPL... Actually, I was up today with a few other aircraft from harvs, And from what I have seen from them beginning to fly there...the training they are recieving is insufficient. There was what seemed to be an instructor, doing site-seeing tours leaving CYAV ahead of me today, wanting to go over the city with 3 other passengers, and he got turned down by ATC because he didnt file a class D intent, and the clients got to see nothing. Their radio calls, and basic procedures are not up to par IMHO. Now, dont get me wrong, Harv is a great guy, with a great groundschool avalible I personally have taken it, and it was A+! I do know a few good pilots that flew out of there, But I believe they should get used to flying in a controlled airspace area before they send students up solo. I have already heard horror stories from the instructors at WPG aviation about close calls in the Practice Area. They really aren't busy at all anymore, everytime I have been there we have had 4:1 ratio of planes flying...The dorm is almost empty. But as I said, Im not out to bash this flight school, just to inform. HAppy flyin'
-Tholl

gowest
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gowest »

Hi tholl!
that story with the instructor with no class D advisory was probably a rookie class 4 like you will find in any flightshool (and any flight instructor been there once!) but it doesn't affect at all the quality of the school.
The winnipeg aviation instructors will find all kind of reason to blame
Harvs planes...
Oh well, I'll give you 12 more months before winnipeg flying club is out of business and Harv will buy it!!!

and if you want to save some money on your CPL, walk across the apron any time for better rates!

cheers

Bastien

Almost_there
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Almost_there »

ahem...not to ruin the positive tone of the thread or nothing but i was hoping i could get in touch with any current students at Harv's..just wanted some honest opinions about the school and the area. Any help would be much appereciated.

thecaptain
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by thecaptain »

Hmm Tholl...

Hope you pay more attention in the plane than you seem to elsewhere.

First of all that "plane" that "didn't file a class D intent" did, the issue was xpndr related if you bothered to listen and he was cleared into wpg. The clients did get to see exactly what they wanted. Your so called "close calls??" I certainly admire your go-team spirit but WAV isn't perfect and being one of those instructors I can assure you not all of the calls from that school are perfect or very descriptive at times themselves. In fact I've heard a few calls that could use a lesson or two in actual distance from a known place... such as calling north of Libau when you're actually 3 miles east of it... Interesting how you say "I have already heard stories," try forming your own opinion. You're going to need to think for yourself as a pilot, so start now. :) Anyway, I won't touch that one anymore but let it be known that I'm not declaring we are perfect. Yes we have made our errors as every school has before. Before I go on anymore I have to say it's people with your "tone" that make it difficult to get along in the aviation community. We're all trying to do the same thing to the same standard and welcome people into the aviation community with positivity. This may be a competition for managers and such but being a student as you are, you should leave the complaining to those who actually have a clue. It should be noted here now, that Harvs Air is one of Canadas top rated and recognized schools and has a 30+ year reputation of nothing but excellent training. We're known for our higher standards of training and if you're in total disbelief about that feel free to inquire about our training record. The proof is in the pudding. I'm sure WAV is excellent too!

Not busy anymore??? My my Tholl get up-to-date here. We're adding two more aircraft to our fleet in the next two weeks and another twin in about 5 weeks. We have a total of around 26 aircraft all operating to max capacity and a staff between the two schools in excess of 25 employees. Oh yes, you're talking about YAV... I forgot. All of our instructors are booked to capacity and the students are now rolling in. Many international and many also former WFC members. Go figure seeing as we haven't done one ounce of advertising. Doesn't sound busy to me at all. Speaking of international students, speak to them because they are the ones who really put schools under the looking glass... look into what it costs to get a license in England or Holland, or, well, pick a country why don't you? They certainly aren't interested in "poor" training..

Now with all that said, I'll add this. The thing that bothers me about your post is your statement about students going solo? You're a rookie. Sorry to say, but you are. You're certainly no instructor which is painfully obvious, so please, next time before you go giving your two cents on when a student should be sent solo, have the two cents to give because you don't right now.

Well I've said what I have to say now and I look forward to the response I can already tell is coming. I have an offer, well more like a challenge for you. As I'm sure you can gather by now I work for "Harv" and aspire to deliver his "not up to par" procedures... If you're so convinced our levels of training are as you make them out to be, come and form your own opinion instead of going with your instructors popular one.

Have a good day and happy Flying Tholl. :)

ski_bum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ski_bum »

Geepers Tholl,

Last I checked, you need to book an instructor or aircraft almost a week in advance at Harv's in YAV, as well as their dorms being full until some time in late October or early November.

You may think you are the king of controlled airspace and radio communications, but remember the days when you had 15 hours and were in the circuit or going to the practice area, what were your radio calls like? Or did you forget about those times? The bottom line is that it is a learning environment, students will make mistakes, and they will learn from them.

Regarding the close calls in the YAV Practice Area, it has been happening for years, that’s why they made the recent change to a published frequency for that area, which is what happens when you try to cram 5 or 6 aircraft into a small area to all do the same thing. The closes calls I have had in the PA have been with traffic transiting the zone with no calls. We must all remember that we are VFR and that’s what our eyes are for.

Almost_there -- remember what you hear on these forums is only some people’s opinions, call or email Harv's and I am sure they can put you in contact with some students.

Tholl -- there is a term out there in the industry know as a 200h wonder, I know you say you are not out to bash anyone, just to inform, and so am I. :wink:

I hope this clears something’s up for some people.

Ski Bum

mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

Looking forward to the St.Andrews fly-in breakfast on the 24th that Harv's at CYAV is sponsoring.
I hope your cooking is as good as your flight training. (if you contract Corillee it's cheating)
Any chance a prize at the fly-in is an hour of dual in the PITTS?

I didn't train there, but know many who have trained at Harv's and have been very happy with the level of training, policies, and aircraft.

Just as a note, a lot of the non-training traffic transiting the practice area are probably on 123.2.

Almost_there
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Almost_there »

hmm feel a bit daft now...should have thought of that before hehe thanks ski bum :)

wait...what did he say?
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by wait...what did he say? »

I did my PPL there, with Bastien. I did most of my CPL there with Steve, and let me tell you, that was the best training I think I will ever get. I learned more in the few weeks that I've spent there than I have learned anywhere else since, and I've been to a few places of learning as far as aviation goes. If I wanted to be an instructor, there's nowhere else I'd rather be. KK7 is busier on a given day than places like Regina, Saskatoon, and even Calgary(ok it was the middle of the night). Uncontrolled airspace has it's own set of skills, especially when you take into account 5-8 dual, 1 or 2 coming in or going out on X/C's and then theres the cropdusters... that place is bumping, I don't care what anyone says.

However, i do have a non-justified predjudice to Manitoba... Don't know why... maybe someday it'll change.

You're Dangerous
Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Tholl,

Im sure you meant no harm, but that was very uncalled for (and thats coming from someone that has never flown with either school's).

In your post you state that you are finishing off your time for your cpl, that signifies that you are still very inexperienced and still very much an amateur(As am I), so dont be so quick to judge how others handle their radio calls or that an aircraft has been denied for sych and such a reason because trust me, you will eventually be in the same position somewhere, someway, somehow.

Next time try not to make your post sound like your the know all be all

P.S this is not to offend you or bad mouth you, just a piece of advice to keep in mind later on in your career.

like2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by like2fly »

This might not necessarily relate to Harv's or any other flight school for that matter, but in reference to "radio calls", I certainly got my lesson on "proper" radio procedures in uncontrolled airspace in northwestern ontario!!! The long winded stuff that is usually taught in flight schools (and I'm not saying it is wrong to teach it that way) had to get removed from my head and replaced with short efficient and quite different "lingo" while flying in the bush!

Cheers

Return to “Flight Training”