AVCANADA

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:22 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Yycjetdriver wrote:
While I agree with it being a concern and something that should be monitored (perhaps an encore stile matrix) the Jazz training certainly does make up for some of the "magical" total time in the logbook.

Sunwing also uses a matrix. Credit for time on type at SW counts towards the total experience level required to bid for upgrade (which can be waived at company discretion). Time accrued on type at the carrier has great value.

Regardless, no pilot at SW, Jazz, AC or anywhere else gets cut loose until successful left seat PPC AND line indoc/line check. AC also adds a LOFT style command sim after line check complete. Evaluation of decision making, situational awareness, delegation of duties, resource management, and SOP knowledge and compliance are all a function of the line check.

Ultimately, it is the Flight Standards group at each carrier that make the final decision about qualification for newly upgraded Captains.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:53 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Jazz now does PIC assessments before the ride to assess suitability. Though, personally, I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of command course, given the quick upgrades.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:39 am 
Rank 11
Rank 11

There is a command course. Albeit I found it to be quite brief. An 8 hour day only. It could easily be expanded.

The 'captains assessment' is not only for the company to assess decision making, it is also a great learning experience for those that may be new to the PIC responsibilities and builds on your skill set. In preparation for it, I spent considerable time reviewing areas of the com, foipm and other memos that I had previously skimmed through and picked up a lot. I found it incredibly valuable. That coming from someone who spent most of his career as the PIC.

My opinion was always that a matrix or chosen numbers were not a proper measure of suitability for the left seat. A requirement for an Atpl and the ensuing individual assessments would be enough to weed out those that are incapable of making safe and effective command decisions in a 705 environment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:59 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

That is not a command course, but a review of the COM for those who may not have been at the company very long. A command course is entirely different.

I am not in favor of a matrix at all. I have flown with guys with 15000 hrs that have sent chills down my spine, and some lower time F/O's that are super sharp. The PIC assessment is taken rather seriously, and so is line indoc of new Captains.

I find it strange that our industry has always rated ability based on hours. It is one of the few professions that rewards people so disproportionately on experience vs. skill. The two are not equal to each other.

The training at Jazz is top notch. There are people who will unlikely ever be captains at Jazz. We are not train to standard; and even though there are a tone of resources available, should they be exhausted and a candidate decides to continue with training, against the recommendations of the training department, jeopardy is attached.