Wasaya caravan missing

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

sprucemonkey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Wasaya caravan missing

Post by sprucemonkey »

YES. HIDING. EXACTLY.

Is there a METRO 4 in the YRL dump for all to see?

Is there a wasaya 208 sitting in the JV7 dump? I'll go look next week.

Got room on that sked? Of course they do.
---------- ADS -----------

badmash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by badmash »

sprucemonkey wrote:YES. HIDING. EXACTLY.

Is there a METRO 4 in the YRL dump for all to see?

Is there a wasaya 208 sitting in the JV7 dump? I'll go look next week.

Got room on that sked? Of course they do.
Didnt find anything at Red Lake but quite possible.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

There's also a Beech 18 sitting on an island about a mile from the Lynn Lake float base. Burnt pretty well when it crashed. What remains is either 1000lbs or the bolts are seized, everything else was looted.

There's a PA-31 (Cheyenne?) run up on a beach about 7 miles from Big Trout. Again, just left to rot.

C-46 laying on the coast near the airport in Churchill, heavily looted and has some mild graffiti. Turned into a bit of a tourist attraction

My point being, once the authorities are done with it and the insurance is settled, said insurance company does pretty much whatever they want with the wreck. Places like Red Lake with road access make it easy to recycle the air frame. The ones in Sioux Lookout were apparently used as training devices for firefighters.

Gorgons
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Gorgons »

Insurance turns the wreck over to the company at some point, company spent the time and money to drag the wreck off Tarp Hill, why couldn't they take a few more steps and do something a little more dignified than toss it in the local dump? Nice memories for anybody that knew the pilot, actually maybe its a message to all that follow. As you wait your turn to fly a caravan you get a little fore shadowing of what the company thinks of its employees every time you get picked to do the base dump run, unimportant and disposable.

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

Pretty standard for northern crashes but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth. In YXL when you taxi up the one taxiway close to the maintenance facility you can see I believe that Lockhart Air airplane that crashed in YAC. Still no accident report out yet on this one...

Kzanol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kzanol »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
sprucemonkey wrote:A very respectful resting place for an aviator. The scrap yard in YQT would have given you a few bucks for that scrap metal. One less employee may have not received a pay cut. :prayer:

Pretty much sums up the 300/1 ops spec.
Illya

Glad you know what happened Illya, I forgot you were an investigator. Maybe just stick to your King Air job.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

So what happened to that airplane Kzanol?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Kzanol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kzanol »

Nothing to do with 300/1

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

So what did happen?

It sure looks like it was a serious wreck.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

Kzanol wrote:Nothing to do with 300/1
You have no idea what happened

Kzanol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kzanol »

You can read it when the final draft is released.

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

Kzanol wrote:You can read it when the final draft is released.
No one really knows what happened but my fallen buddy so don't act like you know everything pal

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

So Kzanol, from what I understand you are bad mouthing Illya and stating it had nothing to do with 300 and 1.

You seem to know what happened to that airplane but you will not say what happened?

By the way I know Illya personally and he is one of the most experienced high skills pilots I know.

It is your attitude that I find annoying.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Rupert_Pupkin wrote:Pretty standard for northern crashes but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth. In YXL when you taxi up the one taxiway close to the maintenance facility you can see I believe that Lockhart Air airplane that crashed in YAC. Still no accident report out yet on this one...
I thought there was one for that crash. The said it was caused by wrong altimeter which didn't really make any sense.

Kzanol
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kzanol »

Nick was my close friend for over 10 years. I'm not allowed to tell you what happened until the final report comes out, however, my intent is to tell Illya not to talk about shit he doesn't know about.

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

Jean-Pierre wrote:
Rupert_Pupkin wrote:Pretty standard for northern crashes but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth. In YXL when you taxi up the one taxiway close to the maintenance facility you can see I believe that Lockhart Air airplane that crashed in YAC. Still no accident report out yet on this one...
I thought there was one for that crash. The said it was caused by wrong altimeter which didn't really make any sense.
Yeah there was one for the cat lake one I meant this one (tarp hill)

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Kzanol wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:
sprucemonkey wrote:A very respectful resting place for an aviator. The scrap yard in YQT would have given you a few bucks for that scrap metal. One less employee may have not received a pay cut. :prayer:

Pretty much sums up the 300/1 ops spec.
Illya

Glad you know what happened Illya, I forgot you were an investigator. Maybe just stick to your King Air job.
Considering that I was in the same area, headed to a destination less than 30 mile from his destination, you're bloody right I know exactly what happened! You should spend more time asking what Wasaya was thinking, launching a Caravan into known icing (winter ops just below freezing in cloud IS known icing, unless you're brain dead).....caravans (like 127) ARE NOT EQUIPED FOR FLIGHT IN ICE!! How do I know this? Two FSI Caravan courses, 1500-2000 hours on type, and over 25K TT. This operation leaves the rest of us shaking our heads.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Kzanol wrote:Nothing to do with 300/1
You're probably right. If he actually HAD 300/1, he might have had a chance.
I find nothing as detrimental to this industry than someone who will DEFEND a moronic, iladvised stupid decision. Especially one resulting in an accident that could have been so easily prevented by just saying NO!
Cat Driver asked you a reasonable question. What did happen?
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

Anyone know when this report is coming out? How long does it take to do an accident report? 2 years?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Anyone know when this report is coming out?
When they get every word correct and approved by their lawyers so no one can really understand what they mean.
How long does it take to do an accident report? 2 years?

They have no reason to get the report finished because when it is finished no one can really disagree with the findings because no one can remember the accident.

Your Government hard at work doing very little.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”