Aircraft charter companies hire guys in their 50s

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Aircraft charter companies hire guys in their 50s

Post by marakii »

Don't know if flying for charter companies is for up and coming young pilots before hitting the big metal or older types ?

Have King air/light jet charter operators hired guys in their 50's no matter high or low time?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Aircraft charter companies hire guys in their 50s

Post by Black_Tusk »

Apply and find out?

FYI, you can't discriminate (legally) on age in Canada. Sell yourself, sell your experience. Don't give your age when you apply, be vague about years you graduated college etc. And if you get an interview, now is your time to shine and tell them why you're the best person for the job.

If you put the year you graduated HS/Uni on an application it gives an indication to your age and you may be binned even though it's technically not legal.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Yes, I was in a position of hiring at my last job and we hired numerous people in their 40's and 50's.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

flyinhigh wrote:Yes, I was in a position of hiring at my last job and we hired numerous people in their 40's and 50's.
Was it a charter company?

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

You've asked this similar question before. Just apply to the jobs you want, and stop using age as an excuse for not getting it.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

marakii wrote:
flyinhigh wrote:Yes, I was in a position of hiring at my last job and we hired numerous people in their 40's and 50's.
Was it a charter company?
Yup, there are lots out there that will do this.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Age definitely is a factor in deciding who to hire, for instance if I were deciding between two pilots with basically the same experience level in flying and one was 20 years old and the other was sixty years old I would lean towards the 60 year old pilot for the maturity factor.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Cat Driver wrote:Age definitely is a factor in deciding who to hire, for instance if I were deciding between two pilots with basically the same experience level in flying and one was 20 years old and the other was sixty years old I would lean towards the 60 year old pilot for the maturity factor.
Exactly.

5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Cat Driver wrote:Age definitely is a factor in deciding who to hire, for instance if I were deciding between two pilots with basically the same experience level in flying and one was 20 years old and the other was sixty years old I would lean towards the 60 year old pilot for the maturity factor.
Are you sure Cat? A 20 year old would have at best 1,000 or so hours and nothing beyond a light piston twin for maybe a couple 100 and basically none in actual IMC. Hiring them you would be getting someone who wants to work hard and is working to establish a career. A 60 year old with the same experience is going to be looking for something that allows flexibility and likely is not going to be willing to put up with anything that is not to their liking. The statement "Who needs this shit?" comes to mind. Also, since they would be seen as an entry level pilot, their maturity can often result in friction due to a sense that they know better than the "young punks" that would often be their managers/chief pilots.

As the experience level grows, the older pilot gains a lot of value as a younger pilot with the same level of experience has to be older and the age margin narrows. I would say that a pilot over 50 with basic, piston only, limited twin/IMC experience has very little in the way of employment opportunities.

That's not to say a person shouldn't try, but maintain reasonable expectations and accept that the odds are very much against them.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain

Return to “Employment Forum”