IFR Rating in the US

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

ipauli
Rank 0
Rank 0

IFR Rating in the US

Post by ipauli »

Does anyone know what the procedures are to get IFR rating in the US for a Canadian commercial
License ?

Would I have to convert my license to FAA or just do the flying and do the flight test and written in Canada ?
---------- ADS -----------

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: IFR Rating in the US

Post by nbinont »

If you want to fly your C reg aircraft in the US, your Canadian CPL+IFR is all you need (plus EAPIS, CBP sticker, POE for customs, and all that jazz)

If you want to fly a N reg aircraft, you generally need a FAA Certificate (Licence). You get the FAA to verify your Canadian licence and rating with AFS760 (Form AC 8060-71).

Then, if you're after private privileges, you can get a certificate based on your Canadian licence and medical. If you want your instrument rating on it, you'll have to write the US IFR conversion test (not sure if there's a flight test component for the IFR rating conversion - don't think there is.).

Alternately, you could convert to a full FAA Private Certificate. Pretty much all the above plus a US Medical and then it doesn't depend on your Canadian licence.

For commercial, you must do a full conversion + medical + test + fllight test.
For ATPL, you must do more tests and a special course (that I know little about - search for it).

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

If you don't have a Canadian IFR rating yet, the cheapest way would be to go back to Canada and do it there. You'd still need to write the INRAT, and that's usually at a Canadian flight school or TC. Then you'd need a TC flight test examiner to do the flight test. And most of your IFR training must be by a TC flight instructor. The initial rating is relatively closely controlled. (Though if you had all the above in the states, you could certainly do it all there.)

The other approach would be a full conversion to a FAA CPL, then train for and get a FAA IR. Then convert the FAA IR to a TC IFR (which I believe still requires the INRAT and a TC flight test for the conversion). All you really save here is the requirement for doing your training with a TC flight instructor.

Cornwall Aviation has a good reputation for purposeful training (though I haven't been there): http://www.cornwallaviation.com/en/serv ... t-off.html

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Convert to FAA cpl
Once you complete training in US
Flight test not required on return
INRAT not required either
A simple 20 or 30 question exam
I did this and it was a lot more cost efficient

ipauli
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ipauli »

When I convert to FAA do I still keep my Canadian CPL or it becomes US license ?

If so than I'd have to convert back to Canadian CPL upon return ?

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

ipauli wrote:When I convert to FAA do I still keep my Canadian CPL or it becomes US license ?

If so than I'd have to convert back to Canadian CPL upon return ?

You keep your Canadian licenses. It's not like with Driver's Licenses- you are issued an additional US Pilot Certificate, which is a legal requirement to fly N-registered aircraft.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
ipauli
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ipauli »

Thanks for the info. So where do I start with the conversation process ? How long does it take ?

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to “Flight Training”