IFR Alternate Question

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: IFR Alternate Question

Post by AuxBatOn »

Approach operations is defined in the TERPS manual as from FAF to MAP. Before that point and after, you are conducting Terminal Operations, which allows you to use a GPS in lieu of an NDB, VOR or DME. All you have to identify with traditional Navaids are the FAF, if there is one, the MAP and any fixes in between. On an ILS, there is no FAF and MAP is based on an altitude. Anything before the FAF or after the MAP can be identified using GPS.
---------- ADS -----------

Going for the deck at corner
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think we're arguing different points, then. There's no disagreement from me that you can use GPS in lieu, as you describe. But the OP has only GPS and VOR/ILS, and needs to satisfy 605.18 to be able to fly an approach and the missed, in the situation that his GPS become u/s. I don't think there are many airports even in southern Ontario he can do that with only the remaining VOR/ILS.

Last edited by photofly on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

I could also ask you, if you file to an airport serve by a VOR, with no GPS, and your VOR fails, how do you navigate to your destination?

FYI, 50 nm out is definately in enroute operations which also allows using GPS in lieu of VOR, DME and NDB..

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

AuxBatOn wrote:I could also ask you, if you file to an airport serve by a VOR, with no GPS, and your VOR fails, how do you navigate to your destination?
I don't need to go to my destination - 605.18 requires only that I can go somewhere. There are plenty of places I can still go with my remaining operational GPS.

But where can you go with only a VOR/ILS? Perhaps Cold Lake, AB for the one remaining PAR approach in Canada, but I don't think the OP has the range from London, ON.
FYI, 50 nm out is definately in enroute operations which also allows using GPS in lieu of VOR, DME and NDB..
Agreed. But not the point in question.

I hate to say it, but if you want to do legal GPS or ILS approaches IFR you really do also need one of an ADF, a DME (which will do for a very limited number of places) or a second GPS.

Last edited by photofly on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Plenty of airports with VORs. If you can make it to you alternate with your second means of navigation, you are good. Read here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 2-3388.htm

Talks about interpretation of 605.18.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

I am continually amazed that the implied subtext of so many of these arguments is that the GPS is just looking for an excuse to fail but the might ADF is the infallible tool that will always save you.

Personally I have never had an issue with the GPS not guiding me with incredible precision to the missed approach way point on the very infrequent times I have had to do a missed approach. In fact the only time I can recall ever having a real problem with getting to the missed approach place I needed to be, was flying in the pre GPS days ( SAD !)

A missed approach in the rocks required me to get to the NDB or there was a real chance of hitting the mountains, unfortunately the ADF spent about 50 % of the time pointing to the big CB about 25 miles away and not at the place I really, really, really needed to go to.

With respect to the OP's question the rules are clear, the 100 mile rule only applies to GPS approaches so there is no reg violation. However common sense indicates that you should never put yourselves in a position where a single failure, of any aircraft system, leaves you with no options.

The good, or bad news depending on your POV, is that if you find yourself up shyte creek without a paddle it almost certainly won't be because the GPS failed, it will be because you massively ignored or miss read the weather situation.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

AuxBatOn wrote:Plenty of airports with VORs. If you can make it to you alternate with your second means of navigation, you are good. Read here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 2-3388.htm

It does - thanks for the point out. It says you need to plan pretty carefully if you're flying around with minimum equipment. And I don't think it has to be your planned alternate - it simply has to be in range.

As mentioned, the OP would be good to fly IFR if he can use a VOR-only approach, if his GPS packs up. Thinking about it as far as I can tell the only one likely to be in range is Wiarton, 80 odd NM from London. Lindsay and Owen Sound are both VOR/DME. And, both the Wiarton and Simcoe VORs are slated for withdrawal not many years hence. Pearson greedily has two VORs on the field but not one VOR approach. How selfish.

So perhaps the OP can make it work for a flight from Toronto to London. In general, and in the not too distant future - it won't wash.
Big Pistons Forever wrote: I am continually amazed that the implied subtext of so many of these arguments is that the GPS is just looking for an excuse to fail but the might ADF is the infallible tool that will always save you.
Relax. Nobody here believes or implies that. It's just a discussion about what equipment satisfies the fairly arbitrary rules. Heck - if you don't like those rules, get them changed.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

photofly wrote:
AuxBatOn wrote:Plenty of airports with VORs. If you can make it to you alternate with your second means of navigation, you are good. Read here: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 2-3388.htm

It does - thanks for the point out. It says you need to plan pretty carefully if you're flying around with minimum equipment.

As mentioned, the OP would be good to fly IFR if he can use a VOR-only approach, if his GPS packs up. Thinking about it as far as I can tell the only one likely to be in range is Wiarton, 80 odd NM from London. Lindsay and Owen Sound are both VOR/DME. And, both the Wiarton and Simcoe VORs are slated for withdrawal not many years hence. Pearson greedily has two VORs on the field but not one VOR approach. How selfish.

So perhaps the OP can make it work for a flight from Toronto to London. In general, and in the not too distant future - it won't wash.
Big Pistons Forever wrote: I am continually amazed that the implied subtext of so many of these arguments is that the GPS is just looking for an excuse to fail but the might ADF is the infallible tool that will always save you.
Relax. Nobody here believes or implies that. It's just a discussion about what equipment satisfies the fairly arbitrary rules. Heck - if you don't like those rules, get them changed.
Up until very recently, we only had a VOR, a TACAN and an ILS installed in the Hornet. We finally integrated a RNAV-certified GPS (we had the GPS before, it just wasn't certified for IFR) in the F-18. In the other aircraft I fly, it is only TACAN, VOR and ILS. I somehow managed to survive all those years flying across the world (literally) without issues, even with very little redundancy (what TC considers minimum equipment), and planning is not out-of-ordinary involved.

There is also an airport (CYTB) close to YXU with a VOR approach. They still exist. I would argue that if you lose your GPS, you can navigate to the alternate and get vectors for the ILS approach. This, in my mind, would satisfy the requirements of 605.18, since it is aimed at mitigating single failures. GPS and radio failure is a dual failure. In that case, I would squawk 7600, fly to a VOR, give myself vectors and shoot the ILS.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

CYTB is VOR/DME, so it doesn't count, as he has no DME. Wiarton is the only VOR-only approach I can find.

You could probably argue that in airspace with radar coverage vectors to an ILS would count. The briefing from TC doesn't mention it though.

Last edited by photofly on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

The rest of my comments stands.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

OK :)

I'm happy you survived, not least because this place would be less interesting without your point of view.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

photofly wrote:OK :)

I'm happy you survived, not least because this place would be less interesting without your point of view.
I am not so full of myself to make sure people acknowledge my tails :)

I was referring to my interpretation of the legality with reference to 605.18, in this scenario, to, in the event of a GPS failure, plan to fly to YYZ VOR and get vectors for the ILS approach.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

They can also provide a Surveillance Radar Approach, which I think is kind of a PAR without the specialized equipment or controller training, if you don't have an ILS. But that might be a bit extreme.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

photofly wrote:They can also provide a Surveillance Radar Approach, which I think is kind of a PAR without the specialized equipment or controller training, if you don't have an ILS. But that might be a bit extreme.
It is certainly the case in the US and they are published, but I don't think they exist anymore in Canada. They are non-precision approach. The controller gives you headings and step down altitudes.

Return to “Flight Training”