PML between Express Carriers

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

PML between Express Carriers

Post by GATRKGA »

I had a Jazz J/S on one of my flights, and the lady was telling me that if you work for one CPA carrier, and go to another, you can no longer go to Air Canada on the PML. Is this true?

All i could find was this

"Any pilot employed at a CPA carrier on the date this arrangement comes into force and who resigns
from that CPA Carrier and subsequently is rehired by one of the CPA Carriers will not be permitted to
participate in this arrangement, unless the rehiring CPA Carrier agrees to the pilot participating."

Has anyone actually had experience with this and whether the new CPA company would have any issues on allowing you to enter the PML? It would seem to me that it would be in the best interest of any CPA to let their pilot's go on the PML ...
---------- ADS -----------

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: PML between Express Carriers

Post by CanadianEh »

What you quoted is what it is. It is NOT true that by leaving one Express carrier for another you lose the ability to participate in the PML. Perhaps if you were in the process (ie: had an interview) you'll have to restart at the new carrier. But I personally know of people who have left an Express carrier for another are now at Air Canada through the PML.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

The rehiring CPA carrier has to agree to the pilot going on the PML.

It's a carrot and a stick. Here is a flow through in one hand. Don't bounce around and cost me money with another.

There is no guarantee that at some point CPA carries might choose that a rehired will not participate in the PML.

This however would likely create retention issues for that CPA carrier.

It is a risk that should be considered. Choose wisely.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Another move would be to go to Encore. Equally crappy regional pay but AC is hiring from them. I've flown with tons of Jazz newbies who have been PFO'd recently. If you get turned down at least you can go to their mainline without jumping through all the interviews/cog test/psych test/medical hoops.

I wouldn't recommend jumping between express PML carriers. If you don't get blacklisted by AC at the very best it would take you a very long time to get hired at AC.

Let’s Go Brandon
Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

Encore would seem to be the preferred regional for career progression. Guaranteed to go to Westjet or a chance at AC as OTS or other carriers like Sunwing, Transat.. Those at the Express, just have a chance and a random one at that, to go to AC or OTS at the others. Working conditions at all regionals are somewhat similar, edge slightly to Jazz.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

Air.Field wrote:Encore would seem to be the preferred regional for career progression. Guaranteed to go to Westjet

The ALPA unionization at WJ and the birth of the ULCC at WJ throws a wrench into this guarantee, no?

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by plhought »

GATRKGA wrote:
Air.Field wrote:Encore would seem to be the preferred regional for career progression. Guaranteed to go to Westjet

The ALPA unionization at WJ and the birth of the ULCC at WJ throws a wrench into this guarantee, no?
Shhhhhhh. Don't say anything. Everything is great. Everything is status-quo for next 4 years because JetBlue and Saretesky is such a leader.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

GATRKGA wrote:

WJ will need a source of pilots. It makes sense to keep the current guaranteed flow, it would be a determinant if they didn't.

How seniority will play out that a different story. If ALPA appears at Encore, then seniority I'm sure will be some integration based on DoH, that's up to them to negotiate.

Never the less, the flow will remain, and it seems AC has a penchant for taking Westjet group pilots.

Add to that, with the expansion and ULCC, there'll be plenty of movement and opportunities there as it would be at AC.

The express carriers face some routes being repatriated back to AC, what that means or how it plays out for express carriers is unknown at this time, but it is a play by AC to address the shortage at the express level.

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

Air.Field wrote:
GATRKGA wrote:
Air.Field wrote:
The express carriers face some routes being repatriated back to AC, what that means or how it plays out for express carriers is unknown at this time, but it is a play by AC to address the shortage at the express level.
The repatriation of routes is more to do with landing slots in YYZ. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out since Rouge was never meant for domestic routes.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

Routes are being axed at express and sent back to mainline? Since when?

Express equally has to work for the carrot and stick to function.

If the conscience is that you go to Encore get to ac mainline, that will be the end of express.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

There was rumour circulated that some of the regional route structure could be repatriated to mainline. Simply a bargaining tool AC must be pushing to aid in their plan to shove more ROUGE expansion down the throats of the ACPA membership.

So far, nothing has happened or been planned.

Looks to me as simply managements negotiating tactics.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

It could also be routes that are maturing and require larger equipment to

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Rouge is a brand. The repatriation of CPA routes will be done under LOU74. Which is Rouges WAWCON. IF the AIP passes of course.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Not quite Atphat,
The RRA (Regional Replacement Aircraft) will be branded under Rouge (Lou 74), but flown under Art. 25. Mainline work rules with pay TBD.
Cheers

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Meanwhile, a US regional just signed an agreement with their pilots to allow pilots from other non affiliated far121 operations to carry in YOS for pay and pension!
XJT AND ASA MECS APPROVE AGREEMENT FOR INDUSTRY EXPERIENCE CREDIT
This week, the XJT and ASA MECs reached a tentative agreement with ExpressJet management on a new program that will allow current ExpressJet pilots and new-hire applicants with previous FAR Part 121 experience to count years of service with another carrier toward their total longevity at ExpressJet Airlines.
Program highlights include:
Pilots will be able to count up to 10 years of previous FAR Part 121 experience toward longevity for hourly pay on their equipment and seat.
Pilots will be able to count up to 10 years of previous FAR Part 121 experience toward longevity for benefits including 401(k) match, defined contribution, and vacation accrual.
Applicants must have separated from their prior employer in good standing.
Applicants must have a minimum of one year of prior FAR Part 121 experience to qualify for this program.
Current ExpressJet pilots who have previously separated in good standing from any FAR Part 121 carrier will receive the benefits of this agreement upon date of signing.
New-hire pilots will be placed at the bottom of the seniority list.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Rowdy wrote:There was rumour circulated that some of the regional route structure could be repatriated to mainline. Simply a bargaining tool AC must be pushing to aid in their plan to shove more ROUGE expansion down the throats of the ACPA membership.

Anyone else miss the cheerful, happy go-lucky pre-Jazz Rowdy?

rouge expansion has been negotiated, I'm not sure how much shoving was used? There is contractual language to bring regional routes back, voting closes mid-month.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

TheStig wrote:
Rowdy wrote:There was rumour circulated that some of the regional route structure could be repatriated to mainline. Simply a bargaining tool AC must be pushing to aid in their plan to shove more ROUGE expansion down the throats of the ACPA membership.

rouge expansion has been negotiated, I'm not sure how much shoving was used? There is contractual language to bring regional routes back, voting closes mid-month.
Stig, where do you stand on the issue, your vote aside, do you think it's a good thing that AC pilots are essentially voting to "bring regional routes back" at a reduced rate?
Wages to be determine but guaranteed to be lower than mainline rates, otherwise what's the point, the language even referenced a blended pairing, so if you have a four day pairing, of which 6 of the 12 legs are RRA flying, those 6 legs are at the reduced rate.
This is the part that baffles me, historically AC has started some new routes with Express and once it becomes viable to put a mainline aircraft on the route, they repatriated that flying, now they will do the same thing at a reduced rate. So, you sell your soul to the devil, what are you getting for it?
Also, apparently there's this shortage of pilots occurring and it is very likely AC would need to up gauge some routes as Express finds it harder to fill seats, again you are giving them a reduced cost on a commercial need, I hope you're getting some major improvements for this.
As a Jazz pilot who is happy to stay put, I truly hope that you are getting some major improvements and this has nothing to do with, "sticking it to them" syndrome, which I thought we were getting past and hopefully still headed that way.
Your thoughts?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The AC TA will pass. Particularly after the Jalmer Johnson letter.

As for RRA - in 2019 AC will likely approach ACPA with a proposal to keep the 190's in service after the c-series arrive in exchange for lower pay rates. The ACPA MEC will take the company proposal to the pilots as a stand alone issue arguing that in exchange for a pay reduction there will be incremental CA positions available.

Whether it passes or fails will not matter to ACPA so they will likely take no preferred position on the matter and let the pilots make the decision. My guess is it will pass given the CA positions on the 190 will be going at 1 year or less of service.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

TheStig wrote:
I miss him too :rolleyes:

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

It's starting to smell like the end of expansion at express... is that how anyone else sees it?

Man oh man... express will be a tough sell if it both doesn't lead to mainline or offer quick upgrades as it historically has to date

Return to “Air Canada”