Prepared? Lifejackets.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Spafloats2.0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Prepared? Lifejackets.

Post by Spafloats2.0 »

Technically, if an airline style jacket is removed from the sealed pouch it is good for one use and it needs to be inspected and a fresh maintenance release tag issued.

Have a look at the Switlik All Pax vest. It is fits children over 35 pounds and adults as well. TSO'd. Constant wear.

And the price is not unreasonable.
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Prepared? Lifejackets?

Post by AirFrame »

pdw wrote:What to do when a passenger (smaller land aircraft venturing out over water) requests to wear a lifejacket when shown it is in a neat package under the seat. Is that up to the pilot ?
It's up to the pilot to wonder why he only has disposable life jackets to offer his passengers, yes.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Spafloats2.0 wrote:Technically, if an airline style jacket is removed from the sealed pouch it is good for one use and it needs to be inspected and a fresh maintenance release tag issued.
I call pants-on-fire BS. Where is that established??

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Anyone want a pair of the basic yellow ones? I'll be upgrading after wearing it for a few water flights this week. Uncomfortable crap!

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
groncher
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by groncher »

Spafloats2.0 wrote:
Technically, if an airline style jacket is removed from the sealed pouch it is good for one use and it needs to be inspected and a fresh maintenance release tag issued.

Pretty sure it's true, you can find the info in the CMM for the vest. One of the in-service inspection requirements for some vests is to ensure the pouch is not damaged. If it is it must be overhauled. If i can find a link i'll post it.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

During my airline days, I remember being the guy with the nitrogen line, inflating many hundreds of lifejackets on the hangar floor for the annual inspection. I recall that their return to their sealed bag was their certification.

Yes, the simple yellow ones are uncomfortable, though so is that drowning feeling. At the very least, wear one, and carry a certified one, I can hardly imagine anyone making a finding against you for that. I provide (and require their wearing) a proper comfortable inflatable for each passenger I carry, which I recertify annually. I carry a couple of bagged ones as spares.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

groncher wrote:Spafloats2.0 wrote:

Pretty sure it's true, you can find the info in the CMM for the vest. One of the in-service inspection requirements for some vests is to ensure the pouch is not damaged. If it is it must be overhauled. If i can find a link i'll post it.
I agree - opening the package of the airline style jacket means it requires a new inspection before being used again (per the guys that cert our jackets). Why do you think Switlik calls theirs "constant wear", photofly? If you want to wear the jacket, buy the constant wear jacket, the other ones are for stowing under your seat in the event of an emergency. The downside is that some of the constant wear vests are not only expensive to buy, but have a 1 yr inspection interval; the packaged ones (or at least the ones that I have) have a 5 yr inspection interval. I know some people with Switliks, but since I'm flying a twin that is not float equipped (i.e. I'm not doing water landings where things can go wrong in a heartbeat), I figure that the others are adequate. The ones I have are made by EAM.

And to whomever asked about what if the pax want to wear the jackets, if you don't want to buy the constant wear jackets, tell them they can wear the packaged ones, but they will be responsible for paying the re-cert fee. If I was float flying, after PilotDARs story think I would be wanting to get the constant wear ones, though.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

JasonE wrote:Anyone want a pair of the basic yellow ones? I'll be upgrading after wearing it for a few water flights this week. Uncomfortable crap!
Absolutely - I'll collect them off you.

Even if they're not in sealed pouches!

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Spafloats2.0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spafloats2.0 »

Regarding inspection requirements, it is located in the manual for the vest.

The airline style vests are single use vests. Removing them from the sealed pouch indicates use. That is why they are sealed pouches, not a resealable one.

Single use vests are not durable enough for repeated use. They don't have the protective cover that constant wear vests have.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Spafloats2.0 wrote:The airline style vests are single use vests. Removing them from the sealed pouch indicates use. That is why they are sealed pouches, not a resealable one.

Single use vests are not durable enough for repeated use. They don't have the protective cover that constant wear vests have.

When looking at something like 'on the hudson' .. those airline vests just become souvenirs. A different application than flying lower over longer stretches of water (or as in PilotDAR's case) where no time or strength even to put it on when the good one rips.

The small backup pouch with the cheap spare, comes across as a real smart plan. Unlike on those high flying commercial routes, having something extra for those daily applications in closer proximity to large open water is coming through loud and clear in this thread.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Spafloats2.0 wrote:Regarding inspection requirements, it is located in the manual for the vest.
They come with a manual, now!? Who knew?
The airline style vests are single use vests. Removing them from the sealed pouch indicates use.
Removing them from the pouch indicates to me that they've been removed from the pouch. The one I carry in my flight bag is not in its pouch. Come to think of it, it has actually been used, when I jumped into Georgian bay wearing it to see how well it works. Afterwards I deflated it and rolled it up.

Does that mean I can't fly out of gliding distance of land with it? Either way, I consider it tested rather than used, I'm confident it's airtight, and I'm not inclined to replace it.

Spafloats2.0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spafloats2.0 »

Who said anything about replacing it? Just get it inspected and get a fresh maintenance release. It doesn't cost very much.

Just remember that not having the correct jackets with current release tags will likely be an interesting subject in a discovery hearing and later in court if you are the pilot of a plane where somebody dies.

Having the correct and inspected gear on board, combined with a complete safety briefing, will paint you as a safety conscious pilot and not a reckless cowboy in a court.

I like to take away any advantage from the lawyers who may be questioning me.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Spafloats2.0 wrote:Who said anything about replacing it?
That's the implication of calling it "disposable", which someone did.

Who does the inspection? Do they charge less than the cost of replacement? i'm sure no AME of my acquaintance would have a clue. Or if any AME can do it where does one get new pouches into which a now-inspected life jacket can be sealed?

To be honest, in lawyer terms, I'm streets ahead of everyone else I know (except PilotDAR): I actually have life preservers on board.

Spafloats2.0
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Spafloats2.0 »

Airline type vests are recertified by an AMO that usually does lifevests and life rafts. I use Capital Survival in Ottawa.

An airline style vest costs about $15.00 for recertification and a new sealed pouch.

They also do recertification of constant wear vests.

I own Switlik and EAM Bravo jackets.

HHI
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by HHI »

My single engine on wheels is based at an airport bordered by a large body of water in the Vancouver area.

I used to carry the airline style yellow life jackets stored in large ziplock bags.

Long before I took Bry's dunker course I tried putting on one of those yellow airline style lifejackets.

In my kitchen.

In the dark.

Proved that there was no way I could put one on while seated in the left seat while dealing with an engine failure.

My airplane has 4 seats and there are 4 EAM Bravo's which live permanently in my airplane and are worn by all onboard anytime the flight is planned over or near a body of water.

They are recertified by Survivitec as per the EAM maintenance schedule.

They are comfortable enough that I have had to remind an occasional passenger to remove them and leave them in the airplane after the flight.

I hope the PFD's never get wet by anything other than rain - but they are worn just in case.

Henry

AR705
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AR705 »

I have a couple of the switlik vests. Not cheap but they are nice. Have the all pax, which is a great fit for adults or my young son. Hard to find manual inflation vests for youth. I have the "x-back basic" for myself, which has two pockets. One pocket has my SPOT messenger (and often cellphone in zip lock) and the other pocked has stuffed into it a SOL emergency blanket, spare pair of glasses (I wear contacts and they're not good after opening eyes underwater), matches, knife, lighter, and a couple cubes of esbit solid fuel for fire starting. I figure if flipped, it might be tough to get survival kit from plane, so absolute basics are in my pocket, worn at all times...

Return to “General Comments”