Porter YQT Base

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Porter YQT Base

Post by goingnowherefast »

Are they planning expansion further west? Seems a bit odd to put a new pilot base at the far reaches of their route network. Could be exciting times.
However, how many of their pilots already commute from Tbay?
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Porter YQT Base

Post by digits_ »

Would they go for northern ontario, or stay in the more southern regions? In that case Winnipeg would be a logical choice for a new destination.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I assumed it was for the YQT-YFH-YLH now that Nakina seems to have disappeared. How much gravel does a Q400 need at max weight?

floats4fun
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by floats4fun »

My first thought was, there are many pilots to be had in YQT. This might help with retention.

Rudy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rudy »

lownslow wrote:I assumed it was for the YQT-YFH-YLH now that Nakina seems to have disappeared. How much gravel does a Q400 need at max weight?
Nakina disappeared? :shock:

The Porter YQT base seems like a genius idea to secure some pilots. There's lots of them in Northern Ontario that have no desire to move to Toronto. Hopefully some other airlines do the same thing and open bases with lower cost of living if they aren't going to raise salaries.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I think it's a great idea. Lots of pilots commute out of YQT. All other airlines force all their pilots to move to or commute to Canadas most expensive 4 cities. Unless you can live with mom and dad living in the big cities is out of reach for most.

Let’s Go Brandon
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Must be looking at routes west of YQT...anyone know if this is a port type base and how many pilots are they wanting to base there?

ActionAxson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ActionAxson »

dhc# wrote:Must be looking at routes west of YQT...anyone know if this is a port type base and how many pilots are they wanting to base there?
Nothing official but this article: https://www.skiesmag.com/press-releases ... content=V1 mentions 40 FA/Pilots. So ~20 each?

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

From what I've heard, Porter was looking to have a total of 20 pilots (10 CA, 10 FO).

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu

Return to “Employment Forum”