GIANT logbook mistakes!!!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: GIANT logbook mistakes!!!

Post by confusedalot »

Panama Jack wrote:Another area where significant discrepancies in logging exist between US FAR Part 61 and Canadian and pretty much all other regulations is the definition of "Pilot-in-Command" time. This is a huge area of discussion in the US, where three people could be sitting in a Cessna 172 and all 3 considered to be Pilot-in-Command for various purposes. Canada and other countries take a much more conservative (and simplified) stance on what "PIC" is.
Just stumbled on this thread so humor me....

I was a training guy on and off in my now retired career, and, in canada, had the authority to do line indoc sitting in the back seat with two new guys. It is not a joke and it is for real. transport canada approved, to my great astonishment.

Jet transport planes full of passengers to be clear.

I never bothered to even put this experience in my logbook since, for one, I am a lazy sort, and two, no longer needed flying hours.

How does this sort of flying time get registered in the big scheme of things? Hey, my log would be alot thicker if I chose to record it.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

confusedalot wrote:
Panama Jack wrote:Another area where significant discrepancies in logging exist between US FAR Part 61 and Canadian and pretty much all other regulations is the definition of "Pilot-in-Command" time. This is a huge area of discussion in the US, where three people could be sitting in a Cessna 172 and all 3 considered to be Pilot-in-Command for various purposes. Canada and other countries take a much more conservative (and simplified) stance on what "PIC" is.

I was a training guy on and off in my now retired career, and, in canada, had the authority to do line indoc sitting in the back seat with two new guys. It is not a joke and it is for real. transport canada approved, to my great astonishment.

I never bothered to even put this experience in my logbook since, for one, I am a lazy sort, and two, no longer needed flying hours.

How does this sort of flying time get registered in the big scheme of things? Hey, my log would be alot thicker if I chose to record it.

Cheers
Lemme tell ya!

As far as the FAA is concerned, a flight instructor providing flight instruction can log the time giving instructing as PIC;
As far as the FAA is concerned, a guy who is qualified to fly the aircraft who is receiving flight instruction is also eligible to log the time as PIC (ie. a guy who has a Private Pilot Certificate SEL, flying a Mooney and receiving training for his Instrument Rating or his Commercial);

Now let's say confusedalot is a good friend of either the instructor or the student and decides to come along for the ride. You are sitting in the back, fat dumb and happy (or maybe not so much) when the aircraft plows into an Elementary School. There is a big law suit and the injury lawyers are swimming for money. Juries have been convinced that you, given your great wealth of experience and gravitas and surely must have been somehow directing things from behind as would the Captain of a ship (I mean, you ARE the most experienced pilot on board the aircraft by a long shot)- YOU are the Pilot in Command! In other words, you can't log it as far is the FAA is concerned but you can pay for it as far as the courts are concerned.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Panama Jack wrote:
confusedalot wrote:

Cheers
Lemme tell ya!

As far as the FAA is concerned, a flight instructor providing flight instruction can log the time giving instructing as PIC;
As far as the FAA is concerned, a guy who is qualified to fly the aircraft who is receiving flight instruction is also eligible to log the time as PIC (ie. a guy who has a Private Pilot Certificate SEL, flying a Mooney and receiving training for his Instrument Rating or his Commercial);

Now let's say confusedalot is a good friend of either the instructor or the student and decides to come along for the ride. You are sitting in the back, fat dumb and happy (or maybe not so much) when the aircraft plows into an Elementary School. There is a big law suit and the injury lawyers are swimming for money. Juries have been convinced that you, given your great wealth of experience and gravitas and surely must have been somehow directing things from behind as would the Captain of a ship (I mean, you ARE the most experienced pilot on board the aircraft by a long shot)- YOU are the Pilot in Command! In other words, you can't log it as far is the FAA is concerned but you can pay for it as far as the courts are concerned.
He He He; anything goes in our litigious dog eat dog world.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

. Finley wrote:I would correct every mistake in the log with witeout!
No, don't do that. Don't even think about doing that.
Draw a line through the incorrect entry so that it is still readable, then make the correct entry.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Cat Driver wrote:I have not flown for some years.

If I do decide to get a medical and renew my license as I understand it I only need to keep a personal log for the time required for currency, not all my time.

Correct?
That's what I do. I'm told its wrong.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
square
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by square »

EPR wrote:No one, including Transport Canada will care.
This.

Return to “General Comments”