What is the deal with all the French on the radio?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Re: What is the deal with all the French on the radio?

Post by Old fella »

complexintentions wrote:
AirFrame wrote: Don't discount the value of making the effort. I've heard from many travellers that if you at least *try* to speak French in Quebec, you'll be met with much more support (and frequently a switch to English) because they (a) appreciate the effort, and (b) don't want to hear any more of the French language garbled. If you just start in English, and get frustrated when nobody will talk to you or answer you in English, they'll just be amused and carry on in French.
lol

"Garbled" is all relative, I suppose. My dear Parisian friend, a professional linguist/translator, is nearly physically ill whenever she hears français québécois uttered aloud. She refuses to acknowledge it as "French", describing it more as - to paraphrase - a regional dialect "excruciatingly painful and assaulting of the ear". (OK, it sounds less mean when said by a tiny blonde Frenchwoman with an impossibly elegant Tours accent).
Just something to remember if someone is amused by your attempts to employ your Mad High School French Skillz. :lol:
Same can be said for US of A English some have suggested
---------- ADS -----------

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Oh, absolutely! Just pointing out, that Québécois being amused by poorly-spoken French is highly ironic.

Kind of like Newfies making fun of how someone else speaks English. :mrgreen:

Hell, after living outside of Canada for more than a decade I've lost track of how many times I've been mocked for my "American" accent...

Couldn't care less.

Vive la difference. Just try not to run planes into each other in the meantime.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

timel wrote:
FADEC wrote:Canada is one of the few places where a language other than English is allowed; it is actually illegal in France.

There is no good reason to have French; it is totally political.

We are doing no favour to permit French; if someone wants to have a career in Aviation, they will have to have "Aviation English" permitting the use of French is holding back everyone and endangering everyone.

However; as it is political, it requires a political solution; something that will not happen.
Lol, French controllers speak French and English.
I flew my fair share north of 60. English French? Never been an issue. The problem isn't the language, the problem is racist assholes and norrow minded idiots who can't look beyond their villages or borders.
French and English are not races, they are languages. People of many different races speak them

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

complexintentions wrote:Oh, absolutely! Just pointing out, that Québécois being amused by poorly-spoken French is highly ironic.

Kind of like Newfies making fun of how someone else speaks English. :mrgreen:
Regional accents are very interesting. I had a bud from Newfoundland that explained the thick accent most outsider think of as newfanise was mostly the Irish folks.

In Scotland there is a distinct dialect in Glasgow and a further sub dialect for the Non Educated Delinquents. Neither would be understood by someone from Glasgow Montana.

ZaSz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ZaSz »

As a warning, in regions that are not Montréal or Québec City, there are quite a bunch that can't talk or understand English.
Usually we switch to English when someone else is talking it, but sometimes those that can't understand keep the French.
I sometimes have to step in and translate...

And, even if my English is "good enough", I can't understand Chinese's English.
When they talk on 126.7 I don't even make them repeat and hope they are not in my path.

Return to “General Comments”