New Pilot owns plane looking for suggestions.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: New Pilot owns plane looking for suggestions.

Post by Kejidog »

double post. Deleted this one.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Kejidog on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Beefitarian wrote:I don't know if you like airplanes but I recommend flying to an airport called Dulles. They have a neat museum there.

Airplanes? Nah, i despise em! :lol:

I think that would be sweet. I plan on heading to rockliffe to the Aviation Museum this year.

armchair
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by armchair »

Kejidog wrote:I plan on heading to rockliffe to the Aviation Museum this year.
Nova Scotia to Rockliffe is a nice trip and the aviation museum is OK, but crossing over Maine is somewhat of a challenge. It will take you over serious elevation changes, few landing spots or refueling stops, and unpredictable weather depending on time of the year. Planning will be key. I dislike that hop over Maine myself. If you have time I would detour either North through Quebec or South through the US.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Armchair.

Thanks i was thinking of crossing Maine near Houlton after gassing up at CYFC Crossing straight to the Sherbrooke area and then down to Bromont later this winter to get some snowboarding in with friends. Maybe I should pick another route. Is flying over US without landing a big process? I am trying to get some tips as I go. I have so much to learn. The COPA site has some info but it seems like a hassle.

I flew to CYFC yesterday and got hosed for 100 ll. does anyone know if the MFC school sells 100ll like they do in CYQM?

The nice thing is though is my hours are coming up; 91.5 so far. I hope to break 100 before the end of the month.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Pilotdar

You mention a few good tips i am wondering what you carry for a survival kit. I have a 25 pound duffle bag with a ton of my camping/survival equipment. I carry an axe and a trail blazer saw water filter 2 tarps a plastic groundsheet long undies mits, over mitts gloves sox a jacket matches lighters signal mirror and a bunch of stuff i am forgetting. Anything else i forgot?

You also mention the arctic. I am really interested in a trip to labrador and northern quebec. Would an old 172 be able to do it? Probably just myself and maybe another person.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Underdeveloped, like Winnipeg?

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Kejidog wrote:Pilotdar

You mention a few good tips i am wondering what you carry for a survival kit. I have a 25 pound duffle bag with a ton of my camping/survival equipment. I carry an axe and a trail blazer saw water filter 2 tarps a plastic groundsheet long undies mits, over mitts gloves sox a jacket matches lighters signal mirror and a bunch of stuff i am forgetting. Anything else i forgot?

You also mention the arctic. I am really interested in a trip to labrador and northern quebec. Would an old 172 be able to do it? Probably just myself and maybe another person.

I built my own survival kit from lists on the Internet.
Food, water, fire starter, shelter materials, medical kit, all important groups. Mine in a small backpack for quick access in case of emergency. Bought a lot at mtn equip co op.

Also for remote areas flying -- a spot device is an excellent idea. And tell someone your itinerary besides Nav Canada. Always think have an out, have a backup plan.
Be mega conservative with fuel, too, especially the more remote you're thinking.

Gain incremental experience in each area of aviation. Gradually, cautiously.

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

Kejidog wrote:Armchair.

Thanks i was thinking of crossing Maine near Houlton after gassing up at CYFC Crossing straight to the Sherbrooke area and then down to Bromont later this winter to get some snowboarding in with friends. Maybe I should pick another route. Is flying over US without landing a big process? I am trying to get some tips as I go. I have so much to learn. The COPA site has some info but it seems like a hassle.

I flew to CYFC yesterday and got hosed for 100 ll. does anyone know if the MFC school sells 100ll like they do in CYQM?

The nice thing is though is my hours are coming up; 91.5 so far. I hope to break 100 before the end of the month.
Kejidog,

I have done round trip Southern Ontario-New Brunswick a dozen or more times. I'm not sure what Armchair is referring to regarding crossing over Maine. Aside from possible difficult emergency landing spots (similar to many parts of Canada), the distance from Fredericton-Sherbrooke is well within the limits of your C-172. As for the terrain, the MOCA (minimum obstacle clearance altitude-an IFR altitude that allows for adequate clearance above terrain/obstacles) on that route is 6,000' ASL also well within the limits of your C-172 you can do this VFR even lower.

Landing in the US is a pain in the rear but crossing over without landing is not complicated (flight plan, discreet transponder code, taking to ATC...). You have an airplane so you can go direct. Take advantage of it :)

But yes, that route (like many in Canada) suggests a good survival kit. I would add a PLB (personal locator beacon ) or SPOT (GPS tracker) to your list.

Glenn

nbinont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nbinont »

Kejidog wrote: Thanks i was thinking of crossing Maine near Houlton after gassing up at CYFC
That's a sane route, however you want to fly high, as there's really no places to land in an emergency. Not even roads. First time I did the Quebec city to Houlton VOR route was a sunny day with clouds around 6000ft ASL (VFR). No problems with obstacle clearance, but I went out of ATC radio range for about half an hour (due to the low altitude), and ended up needing to practice some Dead Reckoning for a while when I couldn't pick up any VORs. (I suddenly developed a distinct desire for an IFR GPS box...) Next time I went IFR with a GPS box and much closer to 10000ft!
Kejidog wrote: Is flying over US without landing a big process? ... The COPA site has some info but it seems like a hassle.
No. Be a a flight plan, Have a squawk code, and be taking to ATC and you're fine. The EAPIS bureaucracy starts if you want to land in the US, the COPA docs explain that process well.

Pavese
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pavese »

Kejidog wrote:Armchair.

Did the Rockliffe trip during the summer a few years ago, it's a good trip. To do the museum right you need a full day & get the extra for the "storage" building tour.

Going to stayed in Canada; Miriamichi/Rivere Du Loup/Trois Riveres/Rockliffe and return via Cornwall/Bromont(weather)/Saint Georges & back in Canada at St. Stephen.

The trip across northern Maine was straightforward, file a CDN flight plan and make sure you have the frequencies you'll pass through in Maine. Check for the latest rules, we didn't have to file eAPIS because we weren't landing. ATC in Quebec was fine for an English speaker but it was better to have a French speaker for the landing in TR. Right hand circuit plus local traffic.

Fuel at St. Stephen was reasonable. We were given crew cars at Mirimichi, Riveres du Loup & St. Stephen.

Like I said, good trip.

D 8)

JAllen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JAllen »

There is a strip on Brier Island that's about 2500' long. Located at 44.255370,-66.360324 . If I remember correctly there are some power lines on the approach to the south bound runway.

I think you used to call D.B. Kenney Fisheries to get permission to land. There is a fish and chips spot within walking distance.

Unfortunately all my info is 12 years old.

JAllen

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

You guys make me want to retire, scoop a 150 and relive my youth. The places I would visit! On MY time. Of course, our backgrounds are vastly different so I'd be "poking the bear" in ways I'd advise you against. Just get out there an enjoy yourself.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Illya. I am having a blast. Did 2.5 hours taking a friend up for his first flight in a GA aircraft. Flew over Halifax, and around Cape Split dodging clouds. I am enjoying every minute. We planned for the Cape Breton highlands but couldn't because of clouds. Oh well another day.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Kejidog wrote:Illya. I am having a blast. Did 2.5 hours taking a friend up for his first flight in a GA aircraft. Flew over Halifax, and around Cape Split dodging clouds. I am enjoying every minute. We planned for the Cape Breton highlands but couldn't because of clouds. Oh well another day.
Happy you're enjoying yourself. I won't be really jealous though till you tell tales of daring do, complete with tall tales involving exotic rum drinks on beaches!
Cheers
Illya

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
Beefitarian wrote:I don't know if you like airplanes but I recommend flying to an airport called Dulles. They have a neat museum there.
The good old days are gone. I was in Dulles two weeks ago. It is indeed an adventure, but no VFR. To security sensitive we were told.
Illya
Bummer, I am glad I flew into DC national when you could do that still. Guess a guy could figure out a near by airport and take a train in but that would not be as fun.

What about going further south to Kitty Hawk, that would be cool.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
Kejidog wrote:Illya. I am having a blast. Did 2.5 hours taking a friend up for his first flight in a GA aircraft. Flew over Halifax, and around Cape Split dodging clouds. I am enjoying every minute. We planned for the Cape Breton highlands but couldn't because of clouds. Oh well another day.
Happy you're enjoying yourself. I won't be really jealous though till you tell tales of daring do, complete with tall tales involving exotic rum drinks on beaches!
Cheers
Illya

Illya.

Would a tale of a flight to Big Bear California be a tall tale? No exotic drinks unless you wanna hear of the ice tea at Atlantic Aviation at PSP. I was in Palm Springs and took a local flight with the resident flight school. Flying over mountains was really interesting. paying $ 160 and 70 bucks US for an instructor to point out local land maks was a bit pricey. But i learned a lot bout US radio calls. And landing at a 6000 foot airport was eye opening. Taking off was even more enlightening. Thankful it was a cold afternoon. Nice FBO the even had a pool!! I missed a few tennis players in on the private jets for a local tournament

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

A bump to this post. I have had the experiece to fly to Quebec in July and Ontario just this week. I flew CYFC-CZHU over maine. Yes they do have some big hills! And like NB not much besides trees and lakes. My next trip was CYFC- CZBM. Both with clear skies but low clouds to shake me up over Maine. I got to see an F16 scream below me going the oppsite direction at 3000' so he must have been just on the deck!

return route was through CYID. Both times. Great airfield with wonderful friendly staff. It is amazing that I am able to just flight plan and go I managed to accumulate 18 hours of flying in 7 days this week. I am still learning and still trying to improve technique. Keeping a separate "stupidity log" is really helping me too. Also shouts to CYRO staff. Great folks and super helpful with a radio problem that I was having.

Thanks for all the constructive advice. I am not here often but when I do come I love to learn from people who have the benefit of experience and willingness to share.

B

PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

Not sure if anyone has said this as I did not read the hole thing but the best piece of advice I got when I was biting around building time was no more day flying. At some point you will need the night PIC and depending on how your path takes you it could be really important!! I know people that had to go rent planes so the could get there ATPL. So like an old timer told me "I don't want to see you here in the day anymore" do cool stuff in the day just make the trip home in the dark!

Waldo Peppar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Waldo Peppar »

Kejidog,
You asked a few posts back about fuel at Moncton at the school.
I have stopped there a few times and YES , they have 100LL there at a reasonable price. No landing fees.
Just pull up to the pump by the school...self serve...pull out the credit card. They have always been friendly and helpful.
Waldo
Ps I agree with nearly all of what Illya ( This time) You have wings..... spread them.....just be smart.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

PT6-114A wrote:Not sure if anyone has said this as I did not read the hole thing but the best piece of advice I got when I was biting around building time was no more day flying. At some point you will need the night PIC and depending on how your path takes you it could be really important!! I know people that had to go rent planes so the could get there ATPL. So like an old timer told me "I don't want to see you here in the day anymore" do cool stuff in the day just make the trip home in the dark!
ABSOLUTELY! Great advice. Not sure what the total PIC night requirement is for the ATPL (100?) but get that done early! Then, you can put sunglasses back on and never worry about it again!
Illya

Return to “General Comments”