Air Transat Jumpseat riders

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air Transat Jumpseat riders

Post by av8ts »

ahramin wrote:Flyinhigh, I suspect the Jazz pilots are simply tired of all the flak they get anytime they are within spitting distance of an AC pilot. While the odd AC pilot is ungracious to Transat pilots, I suspect it's 10 times worse for the Jazz ones.
I don't understand this post. Jazz pilots don't fly reciprocal js on AC
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Then I have no clue what I'm talking about. Can an AC or Jazz pilot not fly jumpseat on AC?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Ok I see what you mean. However "reciprocal" jumpseaters sit in the back where as Jazz and AC pilots actually sit in each others js. When it comes to the js there are just as many a**holes at Jazz as AC. I have however seen a change for the better since the PML with more exJazz and AC pilots flying together

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I can only hope that will help. I still run into the odd AC guy who still complains about flying with Canadian pilots though so I'm not holding my breath :).

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

If you have a JS on your flight and your not happy about their lack of a visit you should take the opportunity to kindly remind them of the procedure. I always tell the agents that the JS has to stop by and see me when they tell me I will have one/them on board. When I have time I go up to the gate and greet them. It's called professional curtesy, sometimes JS are tired and and jet lagged or just not aware of the rules.

Some of you don't sound very approachable when I read your posts.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Devil's advocate here: why do captains find it so important to meet jumpseaters before the flight? It looks like it gives you the illusion that you have the power to turn people away, but yet, if you were to do so regularly (for no good reason), the jumpseat privileges of your company would probably be more at risk than the jumpseat priviliges of the non-greeting jumpseater, would it not?

Just a thought...

I personally have no issue with taking jumpseaters who don't come to the cockpit or introduce themselves. As long as the gate agents know and our load is ok, it's fine by me. Maybe I am not as power hungry as some :mrgreen:

You could even argue that informing the gate agents satisfies the requirement to inform the pic. Just like the PIC is responsible for all aspects of the flight but delegates loading, fuelling, filing flight plans etc, one could argue that the "meeting the jumpseaters" is delegated to the gate agents.

If the gate agent gives me a boarding pass and they tell me there is no need to talk to the captain, why would I do so?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

digits_ wrote:Devil's advocate here: why do captains find it so important to meet jumpseaters before the flight? It looks like it gives you the illusion that you have the power to turn people away, but yet, if you were to do so regularly (for no good reason), the jumpseat privileges of your company would probably be more at risk than the jumpseat priviliges of the non-greeting jumpseater, would it not?

Just a thought...

I personally have no issue with taking jumpseaters who don't come to the cockpit or introduce themselves. As long as the gate agents know and our load is ok, it's fine by me. Maybe I am not as power hungry as some :mrgreen:

You could even argue that informing the gate agents satisfies the requirement to inform the pic. Just like the PIC is responsible for all aspects of the flight but delegates loading, fuelling, filing flight plans etc, one could argue that the "meeting the jumpseaters" is delegated to the gate agents.

If the gate agent gives me a boarding pass and they tell me there is no need to talk to the captain, why would I do so?
Air Transat requires that a form be filled and signed and that the JS pax have his ID and pilots license. I don't expect the gate agent to do it if I have time and it's my pleasure to help out a fellow pilot and say hi to them in the process. At other airlines, the procedure is to introduce yourself to the crew. Non the less it is a simple courtesy to go in and say thanks for the ride.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Maybe the Jazzers are afraid the WS crew will put them to work folding seatbelts?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

co-joe wrote:Maybe the Jazzers are afraid the WS crew will put them to work folding seatbelts?
There are quite a few Jazz pilots that already do fold seat belts and help clean the cabin on quick turns so it wouldn't be anything new

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

av8ts wrote:
co-joe wrote:Maybe the Jazzers are afraid the WS crew will put them to work folding seatbelts?
There are quite a few Jazz pilots that already do fold seat belts and help clean the cabin on quick turns so it wouldn't be anything new
Are you talking about on their own flights?
Because I was told a long time ago, not to cross belts when leaving a WJ flight, I was happily folding a few seatbelts and was asked to stop. This is a liability issue, if I was stuck by a needle or anything sharp, I know extreme but anyhow I would not be covered under WCB, I'm not an employee and therefore not my job.
I have never been asked to do it, before or after that, if you ever are I would ask that person who will cover your lost income if something did happen.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Yes talking about on their own flights

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

av8ts wrote:Yes talking about on their own flights
I was joking that Westjet might make them work for their seat.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Can you go directly to the gate for a jumpseat or you have to go register at the check-in counter?

thanx

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Have to go to the check in counter. Go to the Option Plus line or grab any greeter and ask them which desk to register at for jumpseats. Gate agents cannot create jumpseat tickets.

1000tolevel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 1000tolevel »

I've been a TS commuter for over 13 years on AC & WS. Not once did I not pop into the cockpit to say "HI and thanks for the ride", usually while boarding but if unable, then on the way out.
What seems to be missing from this post though is that a JS should also introduce themselves to and thank the FD (or In Charge) as they board the plane. After all, he or she will be the one dealing with you.
And yeah, when on WS, I DO fold the seatbelts in the row I'm sitting in before leaving.. just a little token of appreciation.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”