AVCANADA

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:07 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Hi,

I was not able to find the answer, even using the search feature. Could someone confirm that I understood the instruments renewal requirement please?

1) After the initial rating or any IPC, you are good for a full 12 months without any other requirements.
2) After 12 months, you need to comply with the 6 approach, 6 hours in the last 6 months.
3) If your rating expired for more than 24 months, your only option is a new flight test in an actual plane, but the INRAT is valid forever.

Am I right? Am I missing anything?

Thank you so much

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:31 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Location: Part of the "me, me, me" crowd, and loving every second of it.
3 is not correct. You can do an IPC, at any time, which is not that different to a new flight test.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:37 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thank you for the clear answer!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:39 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

No problem.

I hope it's the right answer.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:15 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

My understanding is the IPC may be done in an approved simulator, or the Redbird until January 1, 2018. It doesn't have to be in an actual airplane. Please if I am wrong let me know as I am prepping now to get my IFR current/valid and have been planning on the Redbird scenario. If I have to do it in an actual aircraft my cost go up significantly.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:16 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Where did you got that thing about January 1st?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:49 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post subject: Redbird Sim, IPCs and RNAV Approaches

scroll down this index.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:18 am 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Addicted4life wrote:
Please if I am wrong let me know

You are not wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:31 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thank you Aviatard.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:34 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

I thought I might have missed something in all my research getting ready for my IPC. A lot has changed since I last did my INRAT and subsequent rides. So far I have nothing bad too say about pilotraining.ca and their online ground schools. For an old dog they are proving to be a great refresher. I may not have to write the INRAT again but I felt I had better study and train like I do. Same for the IPC.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:47 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

charles2690 wrote:
Hi,

I was not able to find the answer, even using the search feature. Could someone confirm that I understood the instruments renewal requirement please?

1) After the initial rating or any IPC, you are good for a full 12 months without any other requirements.
2) After 12 months, you need to comply with the 6 approach, 6 hours in the last 6 months.
3) If your rating expired for more than 24 months, your only option is a new flight test in an actual plane, but the INRAT is valid forever.

Am I right? Am I missing anything?

Thank you so much

From what I remember doing the INRAT:

Your instrument rating is valid for 24 months - to renew, you could either do a flight evaluation (almost like a flight test) or sim evaluation (full motion sim like redbird). However, to keep your rating current, you need 6 hours with 6 approaches to minimums in the preceding 6 months. So if you haven't flown IFR in the last 6 months at all or only done 0-5.9 hrs of it, you need to head back in the sim or aircraft with an instructor to get your currency back. I don't remember reading that you're good for the first 12 months without doing anything. The 6-6-6 rule applies after initial flight test up until next renewal, and then you do it all over again.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:31 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Not quite.

To meet the recency requirement to exercise the privileges of you IR, you must have done an instrument flight test or instrument proficiency test (or similar) in the last 12 months, or the last 24 months AND meet the 6-6-6 rule.

Instrument ratings no longer expire, so the rule above is good, regardless of when you last flew on intruments or passed your last or initial test ride or currency check. You never have to write the INRAT again.