Jazz Hatters

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Jazz Hatters

Post by atphat »

Serious question to the numerous Jazz folk who refuse to wear the hat. What other aspects of your job are you willfully non compliant just because you don't like it? FFOD checks? Stable approach criteria? How far does it extend?
---------- ADS -----------

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Jazz Hatters

Post by goingnowherefast »

I feel the maintenance needs extra work to do. So at least once a day I try and over-speed the gear or flaps. 8)

Someone's dislike of a hat is a bit of a stretch when attempting to compare it to stable approaches. It's not a safety thing, it's barely even a professional appearance thing. WJ pilots still look professional, and they never wear hats. Do you feel Jazz should have their pilots wearing boxers or briefs?

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

I am a boxers guy myself, but I don't judge the brief wearers.

Personally, I've been wearing the hat less now because of the cheap velvet sweatband these new hats have. My hat is only a 30 knot hat, but the velvet still irritates my forehead.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

It's probably my greatest fear in applying for an airline job. I look terrible in ANY hat except a touque.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

How is this a serious question when you assume that just because someone doesn't where the hat, (I don't like them, but I dislike the ballcap in the cockpit more), must mean they break every other sop there is. Lookout guys, his tie is 2 shades darker than the SOPs. Recipe for disaster! Have you contacted TC yet to start fixing this safety issue?

I guess I should write something here.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

My new hat is uncomfortable. The same size new hat is smaller than the old one so it fits too tight and leaves a red band on my forehead. Picking up a new one when time allows. Bring the old one along for the ride to make it look like I care. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

PS. Stupid comment from the original poster to assume we disobey SOPs because we don't wear an ill fitting Chinese made hat!

Let’s Go Brandon
iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

OP once again reaffirms this industry takes all types of people.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Ah, yes........that critical link between sartorial correctness and flight safety. Often misunderstood, but still important.
Hats off to the OP for reminding us all. :goodman:

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Inverted2 wrote:PS. Stupid comment from the original poster to assume we disobey SOPs because we don't wear an ill fitting Chinese made hat!
Really? Touched a nerve I see. The uniform policy is pretty straightforward. No real room for interpretation. "Thou shall blah blah blah". Is it such a stretch to assume that if a "professional" pilot cannot follow something as easy as wear a hat, it may creep into other aspects of their job? Of course using stable approach criteria is hyperbole, but I assume by the time you get to Jazz you're a pro. Pros follow rules regardless of opinion. And when I see someone breaking such an easy rule I certainly don't think there goes a pro. In my opinion of course. Which you don't care about, because you can't even be arsed to wear a hat.

Blueontop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Blueontop »

Haters gonna hate..

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

atphat wrote:
Inverted2 wrote:PS. Stupid comment from the original poster to assume we disobey SOPs because we don't wear an ill fitting Chinese made hat!
Really? Touched a nerve I see. The uniform policy is pretty straightforward. No real room for interpretation. "Thou shall blah blah blah". Is it such a stretch to assume that if a "professional" pilot cannot follow something as easy as wear a hat, it may creep into other aspects of their job? Of course using stable approach criteria is hyperbole, but I assume by the time you get to Jazz you're a pro. Pros follow rules regardless of opinion. And when I see someone breaking such an easy rule I certainly don't think there goes a pro. In my opinion of course. Which you don't care about, because you can't even be arsed to wear a hat.
No nerves touched here. I simply pointed out there are some issues with the fitting of the new hats whereas you inferred we operate our aircraft against the SOPs in a reckless manner which is untrue. Sounds like someone has hat envy. :wink:

Let’s Go Brandon
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Until they give me a new one with new velvet, it's staying in my hand. I got a nasty rash last week when it was 30* outside and since then it's no longer being worn. The company and unisync are aware of the issue, and until ALPA presses them to fix the problem it will likely keep dragging on. Just like the pants.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

you dont wear your pants either?

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

leftoftrack wrote:you dont wear your pants either?
Not the company supplied ones.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

I saw bright orange socks the other day.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Fair enough. Just a joke. Not surprised.

GreenBastrd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GreenBastrd »

Seen a couple Jazz guys with beards too the other day, are you guys are allowed to sport trimmed beards now?

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

GreenBastrd wrote:Seen a couple Jazz guys with beards too the other day, are you guys are allowed to sport trimmed beards now?

Yes, mainline and GGN as well. Not sure about SKY.

Jet Stream
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Jet Stream »

Hatters gonna hat.

Return to “General Comments”