Pilot in Waiting.

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Pilot in Waiting.

Post by leftoftrack »

Every operator that uses them commercially.
---------- ADS -----------

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Cat Driver wrote:Maybe it would be an opportunity to get to learn to fly an airplane better?

Sure, if you mean learning how to fly overweight, and push weather, while ignoring maintenance requirements or MEL's. Then yes, Buffalo is a great place to "learn".

At least grooming seat backs will be the least of your concerns, so a jump to WJ or Encore will seem like heaven instead of "beneath our profession". :mrgreen:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Well I can't really relate to what working for Joe is like because I never worked for him.

However it is interesting getting the facts outlined from someone who knows what it was like, thanks for sharing Donald.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Pictured: one of these pilots after hire.

AH6-Overwatch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AH6-Overwatch »

"I would have loved to fly a DC3 along with Twin Otter, Beaver and some kind of King Air. If I would have gotten into aviation younger than I did I would have stayed flying in remote Canada a lot longer." :roll:

Northern Ontario is not remote Canada bud. And flying on gravel strips doesn't make you a bush pilot. Just saying.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

AH6-Overwatch wrote:"I would have loved to fly a DC3 along with Twin Otter, Beaver and some kind of King Air. If I would have gotten into aviation younger than I did I would have stayed flying in remote Canada a lot longer." :roll:

Northern Ontario is not remote Canada bud. And flying on gravel strips doesn't make you a bush pilot. Just saying.
:roll:

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

AH6-Overwatch wrote:"I would have loved to fly a DC3 along with Twin Otter, Beaver and some kind of King Air. If I would have gotten into aviation younger than I did I would have stayed flying in remote Canada a lot longer." :roll:

Where did I say bush pilot? And yeah, Northern Ontario is pretty remote.

Why didn't you quote me properly, or was it just a jab hoping I wouldn't see?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Well, remote is probably a description that will vary from person to person based on how far they have been from Toronto, but for sure Northern Ontario does have some places that can be described as deplorable such as Attawapiskat.

So flying in that area is a real experience that will give you a new outlook on just how your Government really works.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Cat Driver wrote:Well, remote is probably a description that will vary from person to person based on how far they have been from Toronto, but for sure Northern Ontario does have some places that can be described as deplorable such as Attawapiskat.

So flying in that area is a real experience that will give you a new outlook on just how your Government really works.
Isn't that the truth. While I haven't been to Attawapiskat, I've been to numerous other reserves as far as Fort Severn and it's quite shocking the conditions our government allows Canadians to live in. Now that can start the whole debate as to weather they should even be up there in the first place, and how money should be spent but that still doesn't mean it's OK for a 5 year old to be sleeping on a dirt floor of a one bedroom shack with 12 other people in nothing but shorts, and roam the streets alone during the day.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

It has been like that since I flew up there in the late fifties and it will not change in our lifetimes because those conditions support a massive government bureaucracy that costs us Billions a year to support the maggots that feed inside the bureaucracy.

The best way to get changes is to give every bureaucrat in the Department of Indian Affairs and all the Chiefs a choice.

Move to the reserve of your choice and stay there until the conditions are like the rest of Canada or you are out of work.

That would start the process.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Cat Driver wrote:Well, remote is probably a description that will vary from person to person based on how far they have been from Toronto, but for sure Northern Ontario does have some places that can be described as deplorable such as Attawapiskat.

Amen brother!

Das ist mir wurst...
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Canada is what South Africa used to be.

Cheftony
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cheftony »

Any idea of how long people are waiting in Yellowknife these days ? With the current market I hope nobody's waiting 1 1/2 - 2 years anymore...

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Cheftony wrote:Any idea of how long people are waiting in Yellowknife these days ? With the current market I hope nobody's waiting 1 1/2 - 2 years anymore...
Sadly I know people who went up there and are still on the ramp 1.5 yrs later..

Rightseatdriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Rightseatdriver »

Another ad for this pilot in waiting crap. Especially with this day and age, I truly hope that people aren't actually still wasting away their lives doing this. Also what's with So many requirements just to be a rampie for 2 years

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

As a former owner of several aviation companies I would like to point out the owner of a company only owes a pilot for what that pilot can produce not what they think they can produce.

If you can make money for the company you will not have to worry to much about a job.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Cat Driver wrote:

If you can make money for the company you will not have to worry to much about a job.
Such a simple principle.

And so hard to understand. :roll:

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

If they are not taught values and responsibility when they are young you get a society of people who are entitled and are taught that they are owed anything they want.

The concept of work for pay is beyond their comprehension.

I am sure happy I do not have to run a business in today's world of the entitled.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Cat Driver wrote:If they are not taught values and responsibility when they are young you get a society of people who are entitled and are taught that they are owed anything they want.

I am sure happy I do not have to run a business in today's world of the entitled.
:prayer:

I have a question I'd love an answer to:

How many who've progressed to their CPL, in the last 5 years or so, have done it without any help from the bank of Mom and Dad?

Those (very few I'd imagine) who answer in the affirmative.....kudos.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Cat Driver wrote:If they are not taught values and responsibility when they are young you get a society of people who are entitled and are taught that they are owed anything they want.

What? This makes absolutely no sense. They're entitled, and think they deserve everything, but they work for free? If they're entitled then they should be expecting to get paid lots to fly big fancy airplanes, and not sell themselves short by accepting a ramp job. Haven't you been harping on for years about how pilots shouldn't accept anything but flying jobs, and anyone who works the ramp is wasting their license? Now that's actually possible, with fresh CPLs going straight into cockpits, and that makes them lazy? This loathing of anyone younger than you is really getting tiresome.

Return to “Employment Forum”