Mitsubishi MU-2 operators in Canada?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

kilomike_19
Rank 1
Rank 1

Mitsubishi MU-2 operators in Canada?

Post by kilomike_19 »

Did someone still operating this beauty here?
---------- ADS -----------

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Mitsubishi MU-2 operators in Canada?

Post by jpilot77 »

Thunder Airlines does.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

Skynorth operate two. They're based out of CYWG.

kilomike_19
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kilomike_19 »

Is a type rating required?

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

In Canada, Yes.

contactapproved
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by contactapproved »

Great machine despite the bad rep they seem to get. Fly the numbers, stay current, and treat it with respect, it'll get you places quick and safe. Fast, loud, and low riding... It really is the sports car of turboprops.. Glad I'm one of the few to have the type rating on my license. Definitely a piece of my career I know I'll miss. If you get to fly one just remember these three letters...NTS! If it don't get tested, get out!

Last edited by contactapproved on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

There was even an ad looking for pilots, just last week...

Thunder Airlines - Seeking FOs for our MU-2 fleet

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bobm »

Type rating is required as it falls into the "High performance" category. It IS a great aircraft to fly. My favorite but I am probably biased.

I am up doing some flying this summer to help out (and visit the Grandkids) but heading back to the boat in a few weeks.

Yes, pilots are needed. (especially those with some MPIC)

Bob M.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

I'll put in a plug for Thunder. I haven't been there for 15 years, but probably one of the best 703 outfits out there. Good maintenance, schedule. Pay is apparently very good now.

ThunderCP
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ThunderCP »

bobm wrote:Yes, pilots are needed. (especially those with some MPIC)
Bede wrote:Pay is apparently very good now.
Can confirm both. We strive to be the best 703 to build experience with for those who are interested in committing for at least a couple years, as well as being a good shop to retire from for those who are looking for stable work that gets them home to our YQT, YTS and YSB bases almost every night. Resumes are always being accepted at hr@thunderair.com and seasonal/rotational positions are available commensurate with experience.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

I know you use to post your pay scales Bob. Will you do it for us if it has changed.

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bobm »

Sorry, but since I retired I only sit in the pilot seat when I am in town. Kinda nice to just fly though....

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I'll agree that Thunder is probably about the best 703 out there. Good pay, good equipment, and good people. Flying environment is actually pretty good and the stress level is low. It's a 703, so some things are impossible to have, like knowing your flights a week prior, but working within the on-demand charter constraints they do a good job of attempting to maintain normality and they respect their pilots as long as their pilots respect them.
Rotational schedules, benefits, etc. several bases, all cities. (Technically...
:) ) Many people rotate in from Toronto and Ottawa on passes with Porter and Jazz.

It's as good as you can get, many people have made it a lifetime gig so that tells you something.

Highly recommended.

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bobm »

[quote=It's as good as you can get, many people have made it a lifetime gig so that tells you something.[/quote]

Actually, Thunder lost 2 Captains to Encore this spring. One was direct hired to Captain and the other was being fast tracked. Both decided to return to Thunder.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

bobm wrote: Actually, Thunder lost 2 Captains to Encore this spring. One was direct hired to Captain and the other was being fast tracked. Both decided to return to Thunder.
No kidding. If I had to do things over again I wouldn't leave THU for a regional. AC or WJ maybe, but not Encore. Having said that, I left THU when the pay was half of what it is now. WJ is a good gig, but there's nothing like being in your own bed at night.

amclean
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by amclean »

leftoftrack wrote:I know you use to post your pay scales Bob. Will you do it for us if it has changed.
As per today's memo, the following wages take effect 1 Oct 17.

Tier One First Officers (<1500 TT, <500 MPIC, and no ATPL) will receive a base rate of $35,000.00 per annum, plus a mileage rate that varies with years of service:
Year # 1 $0.02 per mile
Year # 2 $0.04 per mile
Year # 3 $0.06 per mile

Tier Two First Officers (1500 TT, 500 MPIC and ATPLs written, or 500 on type with ATPLs written) will receive a base rate of $40,000.00 per annum, plus a mileage rate that varies with years of service:
Year # 1 $0.02 per mile
Year # 2 $0.04 per mile
Year # 3 $0.06 per mile

Junior Captains will receive a base rate and mileage rate that varies with years of service as Captain:
Year # 1 $55,000.00 per annum base, plus $0.10 per mile
Year # 2 $55,825.00 per annum base, plus $0.11 per mile
Year # 3 $56,662.38 per annum base, plus $0.12 per mile

Senior Captains will receive a straight salary that varies with years of service as Captain:
Year # 4 $75,000.00
Year # 5 $76,125.00
Year # 6 $77,266.88
Year # 7 $78,425.88
Year # 8 $79,602.27
Year # 9 $80,796.30
Year # 10 $82,008.24

Additions:
The following additions are added to the base salary, and paid out as part of the regular biweekly pay:
Air Ambulance pilots: all pilots employed as part of the air ambulance operation receive the following addition to their base rate:
First Officers $2,500.00 per annum
Captains $5,000.00 per annum

MNR Captains: all captains approved to operate as captain on MNR/Ornge flights receive the following addition to their base rate:
Captains $5,000.00 per annum (note that this is in addition to the Air Ambulance premium above, if applicable)

Retention Bonus:
Subject to certain conditions, a Captain “retention bonus” is paid in addition to the normal salary. 24 months after being promoted to Captain you will receive a retention bonus of $10,000.00, and on each subsequent anniversary date of being promoted to Captain you will receive a retention bonus of $5,000.00. The conditions are as follows:
This bonus is only paid out on the anniversary date of being continuously employed as a full-time Captain.
This bonus is only paid out to Captains in good standing with a positive annual review.
This bonus is NOT amortized. If you leave the company prior to your anniversary date, NO money is payable! It is a RETENTION bonus!
Note that the retention bonus is paid out as a “bonus”, and is taxed accordingly.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

What can one expect for average miles?

amclean
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by amclean »

goingnowherefast wrote:What can one expect for average miles?
It varies between bases and types. Most likely somewhere between 100,000 and 150,000.

Instructor_Mike
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Instructor_Mike »

I've been working at Thunder for a few years now. I've been happy here overall though my experience might be a little different since I'm on the King Air and not the MU-2.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

amclean wrote:
leftoftrack wrote:I know you use to post your pay scales Bob. Will you do it for us if it has changed.
As per today's memo, the following wages take effect 1 Oct 17.
Retention Bonus:
Subject to certain conditions, a Captain “retention bonus” is paid in addition to the normal salary. 24 months after being promoted to Captain you will receive a retention bonus of $10,000.00, and on each subsequent anniversary date of being promoted to Captain you will receive a retention bonus of $5,000.00. The conditions are as follows:
This bonus is only paid out on the anniversary date of being continuously employed as a full-time Captain.
This bonus is only paid out to Captains in good standing with a positive annual review.
This bonus is NOT amortized. If you leave the company prior to your anniversary date, NO money is payable! It is a RETENTION bonus!
Note that the retention bonus is paid out as a “bonus”, and is taxed accordingly.
I always liked the idea of a retention bonus over a training bond. It should in affect accomplish the same thing but with reverse logic. A bond takes the attitude of "the beatings will continue until the morale improves" whereas retention bonuses provide a little motivation to stay a little longer.

Kudos to this company for taking the high road here.

Return to “General Comments”