Engine heaters.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Engine heaters.

Post by Doc »

Okay, a lot of answers to a simple question. With an even simpler answer!!

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

The Bahamas!!!!!!!
---------- ADS -----------

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

I'm with you Doc!!!

beaverbob
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by beaverbob »

HS-748 2A wrote:BeaverBob,

Did you build that thing yourself? Looks like a pretty good rig.

What did you use for a nozzle? BBQ ignitor, I'm guessing?

I bought it at an industrial supply company in Dawson Creek in about 1973. Something like a Napa or Northern Metallic store.
It has a temperature limit switch on it as well.The regulator is adjustable if you want more heat.
Bob

RobinsBright2
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RobinsBright2 »

Space heaters also come in handy if you have a room in your home or office that lacks heating ductwork, is poorly insulated or is otherwise difficult to heat.

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

Eight year bump, well done.

NunavutPA-12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NunavutPA-12 »

I'm sure the Tanis is a good system. Personally I prefer the Reiff because the cylinder heaters do not occupy the port for the cylinder head temperature probes.

It's a fallacy that heating the engine electrically will add moisture. It can't, and won't. In fact it will make the air under the cowling (and even inside the engine) drier, not wetter.

At -30C, my engine (Lycoming O-320) is toasty warm after 3 hours. I run it from a 1,000-watt Yamaha generator when out in the bush ...with a good insulated engine cover of course.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

One word of caution -- buddy heaters, car warmers and any unapproved heater would likely void or at the very least get you into a real pissing match with your insurance provider if your aircraft caught fire, especially in this day of anal retentive reality. I say go with an approved system even if it means saving the money by cutting down on flying a little to offset the cost and obviously invest in a good well insulated engine cover.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

I use this simple technique. Its just a 1500w heater with some ducting to blow hot air in from below.
Blankets over the top. Takes about 2 hours to get things very toasty in a cold hangar but i'd not use it outside or anywhere wet. Instant oil pressure .. love it.

Attachments
heater.jpg
heater.jpg (855.1 KiB) Viewed 762 times
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

valleyboy wrote:One word of caution -- buddy heaters, car warmers and any unapproved heater would likely void or at the very least get you into a real pissing match with your insurance provider if your aircraft caught fire, especially in this day of anal retentive reality. I say go with an approved system even if it means saving the money by cutting down on flying a little to offset the cost and obviously invest in a good well insulated engine cover.
Have you ever *actually* heard of an insurance company refusing a claim on that basis?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Have you ever *actually* heard of an insurance company refusing a claim on that basis?
Not a claim but a threat to cancel insurance coverage if the "car warmers" were not removed and not used and engines were only continuously heated for aircraft parking with an approved system. Needless to say the request from the insurance company was complied with.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca

Return to “General Comments”