Pros and Cons of working at Sky Regional

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Pros and Cons of working at Sky Regional

Post by Cat Driver »

Sheesh..............the arrogance.........
Don't you know that only the very best of the species rise to the rarefied heights of success and make it to operating a big jet internationally?

Fortunately the pay is not as large as some of their egos or flying would just be so expensive the airlines would cease to exist. :prayer:

When they reach that high plateau of success do they still pull those gay looking little luggage and chart wheelie things through the terminals?

Or do they now have someone else do it?
---------- ADS -----------

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

confusedalot wrote:It's an exchange of information. It is not a pissing contest.

Happy you are a big jet international pilot with bags of money. Wish I was the same. Used to be in your shoes until the place went bankrupt.

So think about that, it may very well happen to you. Hope it does not.

Sheesh..............the arrogance..........cool name, the jet jockey thing.
Yes it is an exchange of information and I did not want to sound arrogant in my comments and I apologize if you felt I was arrogant towards you.

Used to work for the feeders and used to fly for a small airline that became a major feeder for a major Canadian airline so I do know both sides of the story too.

One of my points was I can't believe some pilot count per diems as part of their salary. Two, yes I definitely think flying perhaps 800 hours plus a year flying a regional jet for $94K a year is a low salary.

I hope no one that works in aviation (whether corporate or airline) loses their jobs but I jumped back in the corporate world 26 years ago to join this flight department because of their track record. They have had aircrafts for a long time (prior to my arrival) and hopefully after I retire. They are a major Canadian company with businesses in all parts of the world and they make lots of money and that's how they can afford 3 GEX and 4 604s across our country.

Of course no one can predict the future but I think Air Canada as more chances of going bankrupt than our company.

Broker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Broker »

You are very fortunate Jet Jockey but having had 3 great jobs vanish over my 35 year corporate career and having to fill gaps with substandard jobs, in retrospect, I would take the job at AC.

Corporate is still subject to the whims of upper management, new management personnel, economies of the associated business and office politics.

Good it has worked for you but you are a rarity. I hope nothing happens within your organization because your next micro career may be very, very disappointing by comparison. Luck of the draw. I would take a seniority number given a second chance.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Broker wrote:You are very fortunate Jet Jockey but having had 3 great jobs vanish over my 35 year corporate career and having to fill gaps with substandard jobs, in retrospect, I would take the job at AC.

Corporate is still subject to the whims of upper management, new management personnel, economies of the associated business and office politics.

Good it has worked for you but you are a rarity. I hope nothing happens within your organization because your next micro career may be very, very disappointing by comparison. Luck of the draw. I would take a seniority number given a second chance.
I agree with you on all points... getting hired at AC especially at 21 years of age and making it your career there is probably the safe bet because of the overall package.

Yes I do feel lucky to have this job and really hope I can retire when I am ready to do so.

DGuy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DGuy »

Is there an upper age-limit of hiring experienced pilots at Skyregional? Oldest pilot hired at Skyregional?

MedicineBuddha
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MedicineBuddha »

It looks to me that Jazz is undercutting Sky Regional and NOT the other way around ...
Aside from the obvious varying degrees of probable flexibility at a larger operation why work at Jazz??

Seems like sour grapes on Jazz's end..

Jazz start wage 34.50/hr vs upwards of 40/ HR. Also from what I hear OT kicks in at jazz after 85 hours. Also, no two tiered pay schedule at one company..

MedicineBuddha
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MedicineBuddha »

It looks to me that Jazz is undercutting Sky Regional and NOT the other way around ...
Aside from the obvious varying degrees of probable flexibility at a larger operation why work at Jazz??

Jazz start wage 34.50/hr vs upwards of 40/ HR. Also from what I hear OT kicks in at jazz after 85 hours. Also, no two tiered pay schedule at one company..

Broker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Broker »

DGuy wrote:Is there an upper age-limit of hiring experienced pilots at Skyregional? Oldest pilot hired at Skyregional?
Retired mainline guys.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Not limited to retired mainline of course. Circumstance (company closure) brought me there at 53 a while back, not there anymore.

A few other non mainline high profile types there, or were there, as well.

Flame away if you must.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
JetSetter87
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JetSetter87 »

Greetings fellow aviators,

Does any know if they have a PICUS program on the Embraer.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

MedicineBuddha wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:18 pm It looks to me that Jazz is undercutting Sky Regional and NOT the other way around ...

Interesting, you post on another thread about the conditions at Jazz from an insiders perspective, so if you are at Jazz what is the answer to the question above, why work at Jazz?
Are you a new born, Jazz might be undercutting SR now but when we had 135 aircraft and were doing the work SR is doing now, we did pay better!
I wish Jazz had a better way to weed out applicants, clearly you were deceitful during your interview. You would have interviewed around the same time you made this post to be on line and posting about it 3 months later saying how you average 7 legs a day etc.
BTW, you and pilots like you who complain about the conditions but accept them, then go on forums and talk about how if you get a PFO from AC you’ll be applying elsewhere, assuming Encore is on that list, given what I can gather from you Swoop too, are why the undercutting is continuing.

Grey_Wolf
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Grey_Wolf »

Out of curiosity, is the Terms of Employment (TOE) dated March 2017 the most recent?

"A good traveller has no fixed plan and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu
CaptainBraydenOrr
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CaptainBraydenOrr »

I would like to know what is the minimum FO age requirement of sky regional and what are the requirements to applying?

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

CaptainBraydenOrr wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:16 pm I would like to know what is the minimum FO age requirement of sky regional and what are the requirements to applying?
age requirement ? whatever the legal age to work is. If you can work at McDonalds you should be able to work at Sky.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

doiwannabeapilot wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 am
CaptainBraydenOrr wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:16 pm I would like to know what is the minimum FO age requirement of sky regional and what are the requirements to applying?
age requirement ? whatever the legal age to work is. If you can work at McDonalds you should be able to work at Sky.
If I’m not mistaken you need to be 21 to hold an IATRA

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

fish4life wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 am
doiwannabeapilot wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 am
If I’m not mistaken you need to be 21 to hold an IATRA
Nope. I wrote and used the privileges of an IATRA when I was 20. It’s 21 for the ATPL I believe.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Here's the deal gals and guys.

Stating the painful obvious.......

Skyregional asserts that pilots are cheap, and should be paid low money. They do not, and will not, understand that you can pay money AND make bucks like Southwest, a supposedly low cost operator.

It's all about senior management ego. They think they are smarter than Southwest.

Not sure about that, but hey, this is canada and backward village thinking is the norm around here.

Having said that, they won't put a 1500 hour driver in the left seat quite yet.

Bottom line? They can still find out of work drivers to fill seats. Explaining the low pay.

Pretty sad situation here in this place.

So much for canadians being fair and just.

Hey, get your time and move on. For whatever reason that escapes me, these guys actually want it that way.

I was there. Didn't hate the place, certainly not terrible, the greed factor was clearly obvious though.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?

Return to “General Comments”