Convert TC ATPL to FAA ATPL

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Convert TC ATPL to FAA ATPL

Post by digits_ »

Hi all,

I thought that to convert TC ATPL to FAA ATPL, you needed one of those fancy US multi crew courses with expensive sim etc.

I now found this information:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... n-1806.htm
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/med ... 1-135A.pdf

This apparently shows that just a medical, knowledge test and a bunch of paperwork is required. Is this correct? If so, did the regulations change? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,
digits
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Convert TC ATPL to FAA ATPL

Post by rigpiggy »

You will be a foreign student, so finger print was required for me. Did the gleim test, liaised with faa, tc had to confirm my certs, did the gleim course, wrote the exam, everything to the fsdo.... 3 weeks later in the mail

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rigpiggy wrote:You will be a foreign student, so finger print was required for me. Did the gleim test, liaised with faa, tc had to confirm my certs, did the gleim course, wrote the exam, everything to the fsdo.... 3 weeks later in the mail
When did you do this? Which FSDO did you use?

cdnpilot77
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by cdnpilot77 »

Look at 6. E) in your FAA document. At the moment, There's no way around doing the CTP course, if you want an FAA ATP, stop trying to re-invent the wheel

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

cdnpilot77 wrote:if you want an FAA ATP, stop trying to re-invent the wheel
I'm not. I heard stories of people who converted their ATPL recently to an FAA one without said course, so I wanted to check if their was any truth to that. Thank you for pointing out where the course requirement is outlined.

toinfinityandbeyond
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by toinfinityandbeyond »

Can any of the posters above elaborate on what the outcome was of their research? Was there any truth to doing it without the course? @rigpiggy said he did a course and exam with Gleim but did not mention the FSDO that he dealt with...only mentioned he liased with the FAA? What were the details with his story? He also posted this post 2014 when there was a rule change to the new requirements of a FSTD outlined in AC61-135A. My closest FSDO in the states (I am Canadian) said that this course must be taken to write the exam. My research with an American course provider says that it is just crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s and that I don’t get an ounce of good from the course for my money - which is substantial USD’s. So...will any of the posters above care to set the record straight? A) Is the CTP course truly mandatory? B) What was the final outcome of @digits_ research into converting the license? It seems ludicrous that I would have to do a course at all, given my flight experience so far - not to say that an old Lion can’t learn new tricks! But seriously, when the course provider says it’s a bureaucratic hurdle, and nothing more, you gotta wonder if there isn’t an easier way? Incidentally...I was at SnF and asked the Gleim booth all the questions and they answered that the course was mandatory - so - if there are people out there who say that it was done without time in a FSTD (flight simulation training device) post rule change, can they explain how? Thanks...

Whiskey25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Whiskey25 »

I converted to FAA last August. There is no way around the CTP course; ANY pilot who wants an FAA ATP must take the course, including all US citizens. When I did the course, there were a number of new hire pilots for US Regional airlines who were completing the CTP prior to commencing training. When you finish the CTP course you are given a course completion certificate and completion number; In order to write the exam, you need this number.Thankfully it's only 60 questions for the conversion (TC - FAA only... no other countries)

After I wrote the exam I went to the FAA FSDO in Dallas where I took the course. The FSDO rep will review all the paperwork and forms and if everything is correct they will issue a Temporary ATP and send your application to Oklahoma for final approval, who will then mail the actual certificate to you (I believe the FSDO is the only one who can review your application since it's TC to FAA - I've heard that DPE can issue a Temp ATP, but only for US Citizens). Depending on the type of aircraft you are flying, you will require FAA sim training prior to actually using your licence. In my case, I had type ratings on my TC licence which transferred to my new FAA licence, but I needed to complete a re-current sim prior to flying the aircraft using my FAA privileges.

All my type ratings transferred over and are on my FAA ATP. In my situation, I was transferring to another aircraft for which my TC rating had lapsed (3 years since last flight). Under the FAA rules, all I required was a re-current sim whereas in Canada I needed to complete the full Initial course again.

If you read FAA Advisory Circular 61-135A, para 11, it states that prior to exercising the privileges of the FAA ATP you must meet the requirements of 61.56, 61.57 or 61.58. The 61.58 is a normal recurrent sim session under FAA which I completed to regain my currency. If I wanted to reactivate my 737 rating I would need to do a recurrent on that as well. My understanding is that under FAA (unlike TC) the ratings never expire and all you need to do is get current again. I’m operating under FAA Part 91, which is very liberal with rules to maintain currency. I’m sure it’s more stringent for airline ops.

Also, It can take a while to get a FSDO appointment and you will have to submit a request to visit if you aren't a US citizen. I was doing all this in Dallas and had to plan everything in advance so I scheduled my appointment for day after writing the exam.

Whiskey25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Whiskey25 »

As to your other question, there's not a lot of value to this course depending on your experience and background. I think it's intended to give a 1500hr pilot some knowledge and sim exposure for flying a jet (ie high altitude perf and stalls).

toinfinityandbeyond
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by toinfinityandbeyond »

Thank-You Whiskey25 for this information/clarification. It confirms everything I have uncovered so far.

Canfly14
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Canfly14 »

Hey Guys I am in the US doing my FAA ATP right now. Here are the steps for doing this.

Step 1 is validate your TC ATPL.

This is the link to the form you need to fill out. Email it to the email address at the bottom of the form and include photocopies of your Canadian License (I sent my picture page, sticker and medical page). This currently takes 45-90 days to be processed so do it right away. You do not need to complete the CTP to do this. Don’t be an idiot and wait on this like I did.
https://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/ ... tid/186251

Step 2 Is take an ATP-CTP course. It is required so don’t waste your time looking around (below is the document that outlines the requirements). I am in my course right now and it los literally full of foreign guys who fly airbus and boeing equipment. It is a joke and won’t prepare you for the test but you have to do it. I am at PanAm international in Miami it is $4k USD which is the cheapest I could find.

Step 3 Take the conversion written exam. There are two study guides for this. The first is the SheppardAir one and the second is Gleim. I called Sheppard Air and they said their course is not for the conversion exam and they have had feedback that it is not appropriate so they didn’t want to sell it to me. I know guys have successfully used it. I will probably go with the Gleim material which is specific to the Canadian conversion test. Of course you can also just study the regs and AIM. Below is a faa document that tells you exactly where the material will be pulled.
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/te ... 8082-1.pdf

Step 3 get a medical. You can do this whenever really but it is only good for a year at the first class level.

Step 4 Fill out and 8710 form and go to a FSDO ti process the paperwork. You can follow out the 8710 online now just google it.

I have not gotten this far yet but I assume you just get a paper temporary license which is good for 120 days until they mail your card.

Step 4 Get hires by a US carrier and laugh all the way to the Bank on one of your additional days off!

NBWings
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NBWings »

If i'm considering working in the USA, should my first step be to get an FAA ATPL before applying to any American companies? Or is it normal to go through an interview process, and then have your employment conditional upon getting an FAA ATPL? Do US companies pay for this conversion at all? Or is that unheard of? Any additional info would be great!

Whiskey25
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Whiskey25 »

When I did the CTP there were 2 new hires for a regional carrier. They were both hired without the ATP and their company paid for and sent them on the course prior to starting training. They were already US citizens, so the first thing you need to do, is ensure you are legally entitled to work in the States. I haven't heard of any US companies sponsoring foreign pilots... yet.

Aviator79
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aviator79 »

Canfly14 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:45 am Hey Guys I am in the US doing my FAA ATP right now. Here are the steps for doing this.

Step 1 is validate your TC ATPL.

This is the link to the form you need to fill out. Email it to the email address at the bottom of the form and include photocopies of your Canadian License (I sent my picture page, sticker and medical page). This currently takes 45-90 days to be processed so do it right away. You do not need to complete the CTP to do this. Don’t be an idiot and wait on this like I did.
https://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/ ... tid/186251

Step 2 Is take an ATP-CTP course. It is required so don’t waste your time looking around (below is the document that outlines the requirements). I am in my course right now and it los literally full of foreign guys who fly airbus and boeing equipment. It is a joke and won’t prepare you for the test but you have to do it. I am at PanAm international in Miami it is $4k USD which is the cheapest I could find.

Step 3 Take the conversion written exam. There are two study guides for this. The first is the SheppardAir one and the second is Gleim. I called Sheppard Air and they said their course is not for the conversion exam and they have had feedback that it is not appropriate so they didn’t want to sell it to me. I know guys have successfully used it. I will probably go with the Gleim material which is specific to the Canadian conversion test. Of course you can also just study the regs and AIM. Below is a faa document that tells you exactly where the material will be pulled.
https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/te ... 8082-1.pdf

Step 3 get a medical. You can do this whenever really but it is only good for a year at the first class level.

Step 4 Fill out and 8710 form and go to a FSDO ti process the paperwork. You can follow out the 8710 online now just google it.

I have not gotten this far yet but I assume you just get a paper temporary license which is good for 120 days until they mail your card.

Step 4 Get hires by a US carrier and laugh all the way to the Bank on one of your additional days off!
Thanks for sharing Canfly12

is there any separate exam at the end of the ATP-CTP course before taking the conversion written test, I mean to get the ATP-CTP completion certificate ?

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

Reading through the conversion information from the FAA. Is it true that we don't need to do a flight (skills) test to get the FAA ATP? Just the course and exam?

If I do an FAA approved full type rating course and FAA check ride on type before doing the CTP course, writing the exam, and getting the license issued, can I still get the type put on my FAA license without doing a further recurrent sim?

Return to “Flight Training”