New TA?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

New TA?

Post by Mr. North »

Anyone wanna provide some new details on the new TA that was voted in today?
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: New TA?

Post by Fanblade »

Excellent DC pension traded for Rouge growth.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

Fanblade wrote:Excellent DC pension traded for Rouge growth.
Spoken like a true DBer.

livin'
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by livin' »

Short term gains. long term pain

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

FWIW - pension had to be fixed. Within the term of this TA (3 years) there will be 1500+ DC pilots. My guess is almost 100% of the current DC pilots voted 'yes'.

The question is whether ACPA extracted enough value for that improvement. Apparently 40% of the AC pilots think not, or did not care about that particular issue. Either way, it highlights a demographic divide within the group.

There is no doubt that bargaining under the terms of the current collective agreement with limited issue arbitration at the end is not ideal. Far from it. But the bottom line is that AC was not going to get Rouge fleet size relief without ACPA consent. And they got it.

Would be curious to see what the annualized value is projected to be for the company DC contributions. Most of the big numbers will not kick in for several years. Would also like to see estimates of AC pilot cost savings of Rouge incremental NB fleet deployment vs mainline fleet deployment.

When it comes to DC enhancements vs Rouge fleet growth it most certainly should not be a zero sum game.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Any improvements in new hire pay or anything else that would benefit them?

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Dry Guy wrote:Any improvements in new hire pay or anything else that would benefit them?
They can get slightly more expensive glasses.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

I am guessing that there is a lot of unannounced growth coming. AC operating 737's across the Atlantic means that some of the 319/320's may stay in service longer. Also more 787's may be added for international expansion and to permit Rouge NB fleet growth under the revised ratio.

AC knows exactly what is planned for the next 5 years...... or longer. And the TA is part of that. There is a Plan A. Plan B. Plan C. The ratification is probably going to allow AC to pursue Plan A.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

atphat wrote:
Dry Guy wrote:Any improvements in new hire pay or anything else that would benefit them?
They can get slightly more expensive glasses.
Don't forget about the massages

But in all seriousness, Rudder's sums it up nice

sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Apart from the DC plan, nothing material whatsoever.....

littlebird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by littlebird »

I'll probably just take my type rating and go overseas then. A lot of my friends are planning to do the same thing. I wonder if Air Canada will have to implement a bond if too many new hires start doing that. Wouldn't that be something.

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

sanjet wrote:

Apart from the DC plan, nothing material whatsoever.....
Even then ACPA pulled a slight of hand and misrepresented the difference. In the end most of the increase will just be paid by thebmembwrship in increases to their contribution rates.

The remainder of the contract is cost neutral, and borderline concessionary depending on how you view rouge expansion.

Although I did hear that the MEC chair had made reference that he would be retiring before any of the "fallout" from this amazing (cough) deal.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

aV1aTOr wrote:
Fanblade wrote:Excellent DC pension traded for Rouge growth.
Spoken like a true DBer.
?

My comment wasn't meant to be sarcastic or negative. So why the shot?

Yes I am a DBer. I voted yes to this agreement because as Rudder put it, it needed to get fixed.

Your welcome.

FWIW I get the response considering the vocal "what's in it for me crowd".

So cheers!

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Jimmy_Hoffa wrote:
Even then ACPA pulled a slight of hand and misrepresented the difference. In the end most of the increase will just be paid by thebmembwrship in increases to their contribution rates.
The company contributes a higher percentage than the employee.

It really is a very very good DC pension.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Who cares if anything else was gained? The correction to the DC pension while not nearly making up for losing the DB for post 2012 pilots was absolutely necessary, and worth it even if some of those pilots don't themselves realize it yet.

For the rest of us, by comparison we have nothing to complain about.

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

Rockie wrote:Who cares if anything else was gained? The correction to the DC pension while not nearly making up for losing the DB for post 2012 pilots was absolutely necessary, and worth it even if some of those pilots don't themselves realize it yet.

For the rest of us, by comparison we have nothing to complain about.
I didn't say it wasn't an improvement that wasn't needed. All I said is that the union misrepresented the numbers and the difference to the new MEPP is not going to be as great as what people are expecting or was shown on the slides. When juxtaposed against the real DC numbers (ie. 8% industry standard growth vs 5.5% ACPA growth, including overtime in rouge calculations if you want those numbers, no NAVAID/Overseas pay for widebody positions to short the ML side of the equation) plus guaranteed improvements to it through arbitration the difference is even smaller. If you really want to get financially savvy take the extra 1.5% you are now going to have to contribute and add that to your RRSP instead and we close the gap a little more. The value individuals place on portability and estate planing are varried, but it was pure magic how the NC managed to pull out a 5 year survivor benefit mid way through the road show. Ask your pension rep if any further increases can be negotiated with the MEPP... they can't. Your per year credit of 1.9% is it and the company is officially clear of any liabilities or responsibilities save making on time payments.

Part of the justification for this MEPP was because new hires were not taking the 10 mins to log into a website and show some interest in their pension. Where was the union on this front to help guide the new hires? Information is power and our representatives didn't exactly empower the membership to make an truly informed decision and was asked to sacrifice a lot in turn. The value just wasn't there nor did they have a mandate to take the direction they did. They forced the membership between a rock (AIP) and a hard place (Arbitration). The result was an embarrassing 53% membership support.

The rest of us do indeed have lots to complain about. If you are on any of the narrow bodies, which I know you are not, then go take a look at what was silo bargained as cost neutral scheduling changes to reassignment and pairing integrity. Good luck flying a published pairing. There is more but as our own MEC chair is quoted as saying, you and I are probably "Insulated from the fallout." All that is left to do is move on and start educating the membership for the rouge wide body expansion request that is sure to show up in 3 years and the whipsaw attempt between rouge at 80+ fins and the rest of the mainline.

-JH

P.S. If you truly don't care if anything else was gained, then imagine what we could have done if we all worked to CARS. Bet we could have gotten the new hires onto the over funded DB pension then ... Dare to dream. Maybe in 3 years...

livinlife
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by livinlife »

Yeah a great deal.... :roll:

You don't put a bunch of management wannabes on the ACPA negotiating team and expect to get a good deal.......AC is making the most money it has ever made, Pilot shortage is an actual thing, and we are still taking concessions for a shitty gain.....the new DC pension ain't worth shit. This place is gonna make West Jet's working conditions look awesome within 2 years.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Dare to dream indeed. If anybody harbours any delusion that the growing number of DC pilots will ever get our DB plan they need to go hide somewhere and reassess reality. Their plan needed fixing and this was the time to do some of it. Also don't forget that this was a reopener, not a contract negotiation. At the best of times a strike is the only leverage ACPA has (insert big hearty laugh here), and we don't even have that for how many more years?

AC didn't have to give us the time of day.

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

livinlife wrote:Yeah a great deal.... :roll:

You don't put a bunch of management wannabes on the ACPA negotiating team and expect to get a good deal.......AC is making the most money it has ever made, Pilot shortage is an actual thing, and we are still taking concessions for a shitty gain.....the new DC pension ain't worth shit. This place is gonna make West Jet's working conditions look awesome within 2 years.
You do realize the new pension isn't a DC pension right?

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

livinlife wrote:Yeah a great deal.... :roll:

Just so you know there are many of us that completely disagree with you!

Return to “Air Canada”