Confederation - Prior PPL License

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Avgal787
Rank 0
Rank 0

Confederation - Prior PPL License

Post by Avgal787 »

Hey guys, I am new to this forum however, I always find it extremely helpful. So, thank you to everyone who contributes to it :)

I was wondering if anyone who had a prior PPL and then went on to do the Aviation- Flight Management program at Confederation college assist me? The college advised me it would be hard to fast track in this program. However, how was your experience? I understand from the schools website you start flying right away. So, for students with PPL, did you get started with the CPL component or did you have to wait? It seems Semester 1 and 2 will be focused on PPL. I have a degree so, I am hoping I get exempted from at least few of the courses!

I would sincerely appreciate if anyone can assist me with this.

(I have tried reading the other forums and see if anyone has already answered this question, but I could not find it. I have also tried to PM certain individuals in this forum however, I think because I am new and have not 'contributed' anything yet, that option is not available for me. Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Thank you in advance.
---------- ADS -----------

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Confederation - Prior PPL License

Post by JasonE »

If you have much time under your belt there is no need to attend Confed. You'll waste time and money being "trained" by 300hr CPL wonders that will likely be less experienced than you. Go find a good flight school and complete the CPL and ratings you need.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

A friend of mine went to Confederation with his PPL already done. IIRC, he had to "re-do" the PPL training. I'll see if I can get him to post a better reply here as I'm sure he lurks the forums here.

He has only nice things to say about the programme there. Lots of ex-industry pilots teaching there from what he said.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Last edited by Sharklasers on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

A number of years ago the only difference between having a PPL or not was how much flying time you were allocated in the first year. If you had your license you only had 25 hours (or somewhere around that, I think) allocated to you the first year to ensure you were actually at the standard and to prepare you to pass the college PPL flight test - which was also the TC PPL flight test, if required. No exemption if you already had a PPL, I think it was a pass/fail exam for some credits.

At the end of first year everyone still in the program is supposed to be at the same point in their training, which I suppose makes the summer and second year easier to schedule. CPL training is done with senior instructors who were typically busy when first years are scheduled to fly, so no skipping ahead to CPL training.

I am 99% certain that when I was there you could not get exemptions for any aviation class, ergo you can reduce your workload by getting exemptions from the general courses, but you cannot complete the program early.

No benefit to getting a diploma since you have a degree.

I concur with Sharklasers. Get your CPL quickly (but not at the expense of it being decent training), then get into the work force. Whenever the music stops you will be that much farther ahead.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

You have a PPL and a degree, get a loan and blast through your commercial/multi/IFR at Cornwall and land a flying job a month before next year's grads hit the market. It's very doable if you dedicate yourself.

Avgal787
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Avgal787 »

Thank you SO much everyone for your input!!! I really appreciate it. I will try again for a loan and see if I can get one. Saving up with a job was taking too long so, I was considering other options.

Also, @TailwheelPilot, you are right. I will only get exempted from general courses. I will have to do the aviation courses again.

Once again thank you to everyone who helped me out! Reading all your posts have made me re consider my decision. I will continue trying other options for a loan and take it from there! :)

Return to “Flight Training”