TSC- Pilots hating on Pilots

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

TSC- Pilots hating on Pilots

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

You've probably paid your dues working the ramp, or did the instructor route for years. Then you went up north and got some real experience living away from your family. Finally you got that coveted regional gig, better pay, and reliable machine. All your friends & family say how proud they are of you. And you feel proud yourself. For you should be.

Except after a month being on the line, you find out that a recent graduate with a cadet pathway program is in the exact spot you're in. This is where you f**k yourself over and get mad. You go on hating at the little guy.

Someone else's success doesn't diminish your own. If you believe life is a competition. Which by the way is a loosers mentality. If you feel that you've got something to prove then you're not truly successful. The only person you should be comparing yourself to is you the day prior.

The same goes with a fellow college with a better schedule, days off etc.

Aviation today is once again on the upswing. So many opportunities for all of us. Pick your area that makes you the most happy. While at the same time appreciate others choices and efforts to come up as well.
---------- ADS -----------

Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: TSC- Pilots hating on Pilots

Post by Mach1 »

Good points. However, you did miss out on the other side of that career climb. The cadet needs to realise that they are not where they are because they made better choices, not because they are a better pilot, not because they are smarter... they are where they are because they were born in the right year. That's it. Sometimes it's even down to what province you were born in... opportunity is not evenly distributed across our great nation. So, while the pilot who went north and put in his/her dues should not hate the pilot who walked into the job, the pilot who walks into the job has to be humble and recognise just how lucky they are and how good they have had it in comparison. Show some respect for those that came before and the sacrifices made because the job opportunities of today just didn't exist even a few years ago.

The short version, if you are attracting a lot of anger, it could be due to the attitude being put out.

On the larger scale, I would like to see us all working together for a better life for all of us. No dodging and avoiding a guy because he works for the enemy airline. Let the management worry about that crap... we all fly planes. Get rid of the hat watcher mentality.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Mach1 wrote:Good points. However, you did miss out on the other side of that career climb. The cadet needs to realise that they are not where they are because they made better choices, not because they are a better pilot, not because they are smarter... they are where they are because they were born in the right year. That's it. Sometimes it's even down to what province you were born in... opportunity is not evenly distributed across our great nation. So, while the pilot who went north and put in his/her dues should not hate the pilot who walked into the job, the pilot who walks into the job has to be humble and recognise just how lucky they are and how good they have had it in comparison. Show some respect for those that came before and the sacrifices made because the job opportunities of today just didn't exist even a few years ago.

The short version, if you are attracting a lot of anger, it could be due to the attitude being put out.

On the larger scale, I would like to see us all working together for a better life for all of us. No dodging and avoiding a guy because he works for the enemy airline. Let the management worry about that crap... we all fly planes. Get rid of the hat watcher mentality.

Mach1 thanks for adding what I left off. I have to agree with appreciating where you are as a benefit of sacrifices made by others before you.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

So you think this is limited to TSC? AC is hiring my friend, you can march your degree on over there and enjoy the nice captains.

Like Mach1 said, maybe you attract it.

I've seen more pink socks, loose ties and wrinkly shirts at TSC in the last 2 years than. First impressions...

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

TFTMB heavy wrote:So you think this is limited to TSC? AC is hiring my friend, you can march your degree on over there and enjoy the nice captains.

I've seen more pink socks, loose ties and wrinkly shirts at TSC in the last 2 years than. First impressions...
TSC- The Social Chameleon....I believe you're referring to another TSC acronym. Cheers

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Having babysat my share of aviation cadets in various parts of the world, I think you can save your earnest pleas to not hate. If anything the overriding emotion most elicit is pity.

It's one thing to have missed out on a set of experiences. But to take it the next level and not even be aware that you may have missed out on a great deal, well...that deserves only condolences.

But hey, you can't miss what you never had, I suppose. :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

TheSocialChameleon wrote:
TFTMB heavy wrote:So you think this is limited to TSC? AC is hiring my friend, you can march your degree on over there and enjoy the nice captains.

TSC- The Social Chameleon....I believe you're referring to another TSC acronym. Cheers
My apologies.

This still stands though: Like Mach1 said, maybe you attract it.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Diadem »

Maybe the attitude that attracts so much animosity is the same one that leads you to starting all your posts with "TSC", as if we're supposed to know what that means and who you are. It's like you're trying to turn yourself into a brand or a celebrity.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Diadem wrote:Maybe the attitude that attracts so much animosity is the same one that leads you to starting all your posts with "TSC", as if we're supposed to know what that means and who you are. It's like you're trying to turn yourself into a brand or a celebrity.
w00t! FWIW: WTH is up with that. GTFO.

LOL

J/K

L8R!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Mach1
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Mach1 »

TheSocialChameleon wrote: Mach1 thanks for adding what I left off. I have to agree with appreciating where you are as a benefit of sacrifices made by others before you.
I hope I didn't come off like I was ragging on you, because I wasn't. It's more of a general cautionary tale.

I'm going to knock this up a notch with my spice weasle. Bam!
TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Mach1 wrote:
TheSocialChameleon wrote: Mach1 thanks for adding what I left off. I have to agree with appreciating where you are as a benefit of sacrifices made by others before you.
I hope I didn't come off like I was ragging on you, because I wasn't. It's more of a general cautionary tale.
Not at all and I don't take anything personally. I receive it all as feedback. The constructive ones more! Cheers!

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

The kids getting in these days are going to be so shocked they'll piss their diapers when the music slows and that upgrade turns into 5+ years again; they'll sit at the bottom of seniority for years, confused as to why they're working every weekend. They may not have had to pay their dues up north, but they're going to pay them at the bottom! Flow on!

I guess I should write something here.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

TheSocialChameleon wrote:

:rolleyes:

Yeah i was wonder what TSC was standing for....

Wee bit weird.

Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

Mach1 wrote:Good points. However, you did miss out on the other side of that career climb. The cadet needs to realise that they are not where they are because they made better choices, not because they are a better pilot, not because they are smarter... they are where they are because they were born in the right year. That's it. Sometimes it's even down to what province you were born in... opportunity is not evenly distributed across our great nation. So, while the pilot who went north and put in his/her dues should not hate the pilot who walked into the job, the pilot who walks into the job has to be humble and recognise just how lucky they are and how good they have had it in comparison. Show some respect for those that came before and the sacrifices made because the job opportunities of today just didn't exist even a few years ago.

A guy coming up any cadet route that has made it has just as much right to be proud as any other route. He didn't make "better choices," he (or she) made the right choices for them at the right time. Good on them.

I didn't "come up" either of those routes but respect them both. It isn't about being more humble and saying "OMG I am so lucky and honoured to be here" its just simply having mutual respect for your other pilots. How one gets somewhere is only important to them. Respect how they do their job now. Other than for making conversation in the cockpit I could careless where my FO came from, I care how they do their job now. I have flown with some good pilots from a variety of different background and experience levels. Having a couple thousand hours up north doesn't necessarily make you any better of a pilot. Doesn't necessarily make you worse either, and you aren't any more entitled to the job than the guy out of college cadet route.

I came the military route. We put 250 hour wonders in a Hornet with tons of responsibility, and they do the job quite well, they earned the spot by demonstrating skill as pilot and good learning curve in their previous flying. Experience isn't the be all and end all, there are tons of other factors too.

Lets just respect each other, and nothing wrong with being a little proud of what you accomplished no matter your path on getting there.

DrSpaceman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DrSpaceman »

TSC has a different meaning on an aviation forum.

just putting it out there.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

I came the military route. We put 250 hour wonders in a Hornet with tons of responsibility,
That is because they have two things in common.

Aptitude.

Excellent training.

Which is a complete galaxy away from civilian training, the military trains to produce excellent pilots.

Civilian training trains to make money for the school.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

There is no "right" or "wrong" way, there is right or wrong attitudes.
Speaking of, coming to work with a positive attitude and a mindset you're there to learn something goes a long way, regardless of what seat your in, or how many hours you have logged.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Skyhunter wrote:
I came the military route. We put 250 hour wonders in a Hornet with tons of responsibility, and they do the job quite well, they earned the spot by demonstrating skill as pilot and good learning curve in their previous flying. Experience isn't the be all and end all, there are tons of other factors too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell ... net#Losses
Canada has lost at least twenty CF-18s in accidents, incurring at least eleven pilot deaths, as of November 28, 2016
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... 2.A0Canada

And also about ten C-130s.... among other types......

Last edited by Gilles Hudicourt on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
littlebird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by littlebird »

A couple times we've had F-18 pilots try to join our airline and they don't make it through the training. They are very good at the very specific tasks they are trained to execute in the military.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”