Circuit Altitude at CNY3

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

shivam282
Rank 1
Rank 1

Circuit Altitude at CNY3

Post by shivam282 »

Hello,

Could anybody let me know what the circuit altitude at CYN3(Collingwood Regional Airport) is, please? My CFS isn't with me(or anywhere near me since I am far away from home and will be for a while), and I couldn't find anything online so I would appreciate it if someone could let me know.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

dirtdr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Circuit Altitude at CNY3

Post by dirtdr »

1730ft

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It's not a certified airport, so it can be any altitude you want. The ground elevation is listed as 730MSL.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

You are flying cross country without a CFS (paper or electronic)???

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

and has a way to internet but cant find it ??

Tinker
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tinker »

Photofly,,,,,,, I have never heard that the circuit altitude is anything you want because it is not a certified airport.
Can you expound upon that or paste the link for that information.
I have never heard of that before and It's a poor day when you don't learn something.

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

Where did he say he was flying cross country?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Tinker wrote:Photofly,,,,,,, I have never heard that the circuit altitude is anything you want because it is not a certified airport.
Can you expound upon that or paste the link for that information.
I have never heard of that before and It's a poor day when you don't learn something.
Sure.

Firstly, there's absolutely no blanket regulation about the height of a circuit, anywhere in Canada. It's common for light piston aircraft to fly circuits at 1000 AGL, but it's not a requirement. Clearly the actual height you fly your circuit depends on, amongst other factors, the aircraft type and the weather on the day.

CAR 602.96(3)(d) says "The pilot-in-command of an aircraft operating at or in the vicinity of an aerodrome shall ... where the aerodrome is an airport, comply with any airport operating restrictions specified by the Minister in the Canada Flight Supplement;"

If you look in the CFS for a particular airport and under the Procedures section, there is a RESTRICTION on circuit altitude then there's an argument that you have to follow it.

CAR 602.105(d) says No person shall operate an aircraft at or in the vicinity of an aerodrome except in accordance with the applicable noise abatement procedures and noise control requirements specified by the Minister in the Canada Air Pilot or Canada Flight Supplement, including the procedures and requirements relating to ... (j) the minimum altitude for the operation of aircraft in the vicinity of the aerodrome.

if you read the CFS entry for (eg) CYHM it says
Pursuant to CAR602.105 the following procedures are in effect. 1. Circuit altitude 2500ASL for turbo-prop and turbo-jet acft".
As another example, look at CYXU: the CFS says
Rgt hand circuits Rwys 33 & 09 (CAR 602.96). Circuit hgt 1900 ASL all rwys.
So where the aerodrome is certified (and hence an airport) and a restriction on circuit altitude is listed, or where a 602.105 procedure is listed specifying a circuit altitude, then that would take precedence over your discretion to fly a circuit at an altitude that you as PIC deemed suitable.

Otherwise, fill your boots, in a sensible manner. Collingwood's CFS entry doesn't have a 602.105 noise abatement procedure, and it's not certified, so there's no requirement to follow any other restriction in the CFS. And there are none, anyway.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

When I was doing tail wheel training at Nanaimo I used to go out early in the morning and fly thirty second circuits alternating left and right hand circuits for the wheel landing training....100 feet downwind was the usual height.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

Look... it's the unintelligent mathematician. Shivam, you need to learn math to correctly learn circuit altitude... now I await some clown to disapprove my tongue-in-cheek rhetoric

dashx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by dashx »

http://www.collingwood.ca/regional_airport

Popped up right away..with telephone numbers.....

Return to “General Comments”