Rumor about %30 pay increase

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Rumor about %30 pay increase

Post by infiniteregulus »

All these staffing issues won't matter when the oil/energy crisis hits in a few decades hahaha :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

We got another 30years before that starts to take hold.. I'll be long retired by then :rolleyes:

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Rowdy wrote:I am looking to become more involved. I actively am pursuing a couple of areas now :wink:
Same. Maybe I'll see you there. :D

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

I'll see everyone at the focus group!

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

One thing that I need to point out:

Just as a point of reference, some of the "old timers" at Jazz keep telling us how it took them 10 years to move to the left seat and how "good" we have it now, that if you're competent, you could see the left seat in under 2 years. Well, I don't disagree with that, but remember, 10-15 years ago, a house in Toronto was not $1,000,000, gas wasn't $1.30 a litre and a head of lettuce was not $5.71...

Current salaries, do not reflect the astronomical jump in the cost of living, especially in major cities. I'm not even going to talk about daycare, car insurance, etc. If you live in YYZ (or around the area) you're scraping for the basic necessities.

Das ist mir wurst...
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

As an old timer, I don't disagree that the cost of living has gone up much more than wages. Hans, I'll ask you this, if Jazz had no jobs, would you have applied at SR, GGN one Encore? Wages will go up when they have to, ie; when pilots no longer accept the wages on offer.
10-15 years ago you needed 5000 hours before WJ even looked at your resume, airlines were going out of business and pilots with 4000-5000 hours were flying Senecas and Navajos to earn a living, some it even took 12 or so years to get on with Jazz. I've never seen the kind of movement we're experiencing, to the point of hiring pilots with less than 1000 hours, companies offering 100g for medevac Captain and just about every company you can think of in a constant state of hiring, plenty of choices out there.
I don't live in one of those expensive cities, everything you do is a choice, you chose to come to Jazz and you choose to live in Toronto or surrounding area, Rowdy loves it when I say this, you can choose to go fly a King Air for much more than Jazz pays or you can choose to live somewhere much less expensive and commute.
I don't actually mean this as disrespect, my point has always been, if pilots vote with their feet the pay will go up but it takes more than one to make a change and unfortunately pilots keep applying.
FYI, Encore direct entry Captain pays less than Jazz 1st year Captain pay, I believe SR is more or less exactly the same 75.00, GGN well I don't even know but for sure it's less, so what is it you want, you want Jazz to pay more than their competitors?
I read your other post about the classic, I feel your pain, I flew the Dash also and it was low credit high leg days with the same three overnights, I bid off it as soon as I could and it has never been in my standing bid again, left or right seat. Some are ok with it but life on the RJ is much more civilized, that being said because now you don't accrue years of service for left seat pay, you might want to consider bidding for it until you can hold Q or RJ, it does get better. Also, personally I feel Western bases have a better atmosphere and overall moral, I'm always unhappy when I'm sent out East on a pairing. Maybe consider a base change.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

So hows the 30% raise negotiations looking for Jazz?

It will be interesting to see the trickle down if you guys get this. Encore is basically Jazz less 10%, and SR has to keep up with the wages if they want to attract anyone should jazz be the highest paid regional....

RhumbLine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RhumbLine »

Heard from a credible source that the company did in fact approach the union about the raise but they wanted to make it a hiring bonus instead of a raise for new hires. So keep the low wage and add the bonus on top.

Anyone here get invited to the focus group?

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

RhumbLine wrote:Heard from a credible source that the company did in fact approach the union about the raise but they wanted to make it a hiring bonus instead of a raise for new hires. So keep the low wage and add the bonus on top.

Yeah, I will be there

RhumbLine
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RhumbLine »

Rupert_Pupkin wrote:
RhumbLine wrote:Heard from a credible source that the company did in fact approach the union about the raise but they wanted to make it a hiring bonus instead of a raise for new hires. So keep the low wage and add the bonus on top.

Yeah, I will be there

Good luck! I have a feeling it will be a lot of sidestepping of the obvious "Yeah we know everyone wants to get rid of the B Scale" but...

Keep us posted of your findings!

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

So really the exact same response that US regionals are doing for attracting and attempting to retain pilots...the more things change.... :rolleyes:

Wonder if they attempt to match/beat Porter's ideas for retention ?

LtDan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LtDan »

I'll be there as well. Fire a PM if there is anything you would like mentioned.. I think the one scale idea has been beaten to death on here lol but I'm a lifer and all for making things better for us, so if you guys have any ideas just send away! Its nice to see that the communications channels with management are open.. now only time will tell if that translates to action and positive longer term change for all of us.

Cheers,
Dan

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

FYI - as the Jazz pilots are represented by ALPA, it is illegal for the company to survey, interview, or solicit opinion from any Jazz pilots on any issues covered under the collective agreement.

It would appear that some attendees are not aware of the terms of reference of the focus group. You may therefore be disappointed with the actual content of the discussions.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

All they are going to do is ask which social media platform is best for trying to attract future pilots. Don't expect it to get too "contractual". But do enjoy a paid day out there and have a few :drinkers: afterwards.

Let’s Go Brandon
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Hiring is the company's problem, not the union's. If the company is having a problem recognizing that B-scale is an impediment to recruitment then there is a disconnect with reality in a job market overflowing with choices for pilots.

However, if the B scale demographic would like to have their sentiments known as far as WAWCON at Jazz is concerned, then the appropriate venue would be the JAZZ ALPA MEC.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

Inverted2 wrote:All they are going to do is ask which social media platform is best for trying to attract future pilots. Don't expect it to get too "contractual". But do enjoy a paid day out there and have a few :drinkers: afterwards.
One would think they would just email out a survey as a cost effective means?

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

rudder wrote:FYI - as the Jazz pilots are represented by ALPA, it is illegal for the company to survey, interview, or solicit opinion from any Jazz pilots on any issues covered under the collective agreement.

It would appear that some attendees are not aware of the terms of reference of the focus group. You may therefore be disappointed with the actual content of the discussions.
Hey,

I am going and I realize that discussing the contract isn't an option. But I'm going into it with full intentions of telling them how encore has now become the path to Air Canada and a more suitable regional option in terms of long term career progression if going and flying the big metal is what you want.

RP

Tap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tap »

Why do you say Encore is preferred over Jazz these days to get to AC?

Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

Rupert_Pupkin wrote:
rudder wrote:FYI - as the Jazz pilots are represented by ALPA, it is illegal for the company to survey, interview, or solicit opinion from any Jazz pilots on any issues covered under the collective agreement.

Hey,

I am going and I realize that discussing the contract isn't an option. But I'm going into it with full intentions of telling them how encore has now become the path to Air Canada and a more suitable regional option in terms of long term career progression if going and flying the big metal is what you want.

RP
+1.

I have a feeling (or a hope), that the PML will pick up throughout the fall and winter, as the summer was because AC historically doesn't have groundschools, as well as giving the express carriers an opportunity to catch up in their own hiring. Add that to that fact that Jazz is planning on hiring 400 pilots next year, you have to think the flood gates will give. But again, this is my optimistic thinking. It's that darn tootin carrot I tells ya.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Rupert_Pupkin wrote:
Hey,

RP
That is fair game. Getting hired at AC has nothing to do with the Jazz pilot collective agreement. And Jazz will tell you the same.

Ultimately, it will be up to AC to determine whether PMLv2.0 is a legitimate recruiting tool for the AC Express carriers or just a bait and switch tactic.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”