Upgrade times and pay.

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Upgrade times and pay.

Post by confusedalot »

That was your group, (I have lived through worse than that), I was referring to the new group that are making it in under the current circumstances. It's klondike time right now as far as I can see.
---------- ADS -----------

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

[quote="confusedalot"]That was your group, (I have lived through worse than that), I was referring to the new group that are making it in under the current circumstances. It's klondike time right now as far as I can see.[/quote]

Gotcha...

Some are coming in pretty young... but the are many that have been around.

Anyway... it's pretty good right now.

WB FO spots to new hires that used to be 10 years to get.

Or quick upgrades... lots of choice...

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

altiplano wrote:
confusedalot wrote:That was your group, (I have lived through worse than that), I was referring to the new group that are making it in under the current circumstances. It's klondike time right now as far as I can see.

Or quick upgrades... lots of choice...
+1 on the choices.

Those that don’t want to work much since flat pay for FO and RP is the same for 4 years. Bid the RP spot (you’ll cash out more with higher tax-free per diems) 3 Asia’s a month you’re done in 9-10 days. Becomes more of a part-time job.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

altiplano wrote: WB FO spots to new hires that used to be 10 years to get.
What WB FO spots are available to new hires? Do you mean at Rouge?

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Victory wrote:
Mainline 767 F/O and Rouge 767 is available to new hires.

787 F/O position is fairly junior as well, about 3-4 years. Not long ago it took 10-12 years to hold a 777 FO, it’s down to 5 years now.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Could you explain how your initial position is determined? Do you submit a list of positions ranked from what you want most to least? Then they try to give people what they want based on their seniority number? If you can't get what you want they give you the next thing on your list that is available?

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Victory wrote:Could you explain how your initial position is determined? Do you submit a list of positions ranked from what you want most to least? Then they try to give people what they want based on their seniority number? If you can't get what you want they give you the next thing on your list that is available?
Exactly how you described it, you also put your base preference on where you want the position.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Ah, I see thanks. So if you care more about what type you are on instead of what base you are at can you ask, for example, for:
1: 767 YVR
2: 767 YYZ
3: 767 YWG
4: 767 YUL
5: 767 Rouge YVR
6: 767 Rouge YYZ
etc?

Also, are all positions available at all bases? Like could you be a 777 RP in Winnipeg for example?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Victory wrote:
As RVR6000 said:
767 mainline and LCC are being offered in initial courses.

Junior YUL 330 FO is #3600... must have bid it right out of his initial course because he's not shown as qualified on any type yet...

787 in YYZ/YUL not far behind and those fleets are still growing too...

We don't have all our firm 787 orders yet and the 13x 787 option announcement is around the corner...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Victory wrote:Ah, I see thanks. So if you care more about what type you are on instead of what base you are at can you ask, for example, for:
etc?

Also, are all positions available at all bases? Like could you be a 777 RP in Winnipeg for example?
Not all types are at all bases.

YVR
320, 787, 777 / L767

YWG

YYZ
EMJ, 737, 320, 767, 787, 777 / L319, L767

YUL
737, 320, 330, 787 / L319, L767

I think I got them all there. . they change/move things sometimes too... pretty regularly in fact...

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Ok thanks. Could you describe some of the advantages and disadvantages of going to a Rouge position?

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Victory wrote:Ok thanks. Could you describe some of the advantages and disadvantages of going to a Rouge position?
This is a tough one, with this new TA I’m not sure what Rouge will evolve into with an increase in narrow body fleet. The pairing quality, days worked can all change (still restricted to 16 days and min 77.5 hours credit monthly). Rouge 320 has been enjoying productive Caribbean/domestic turns (out of YYZ/YUL) and the odd YDF, YQY layover until now. With an increased fleet they will likely use it for Caribbean turns out YWG, YHZ, YXE, YQR, YEG, YYC (similar to what Transat/Sunwing does in the winter) so you’ll see more multi-day pairings out of YYZ. DH’s are free on rouge, mainline they’re paid half credit.

No changes to Rouge 767, still restricted to 25 fins. Multi-day 3,4,5 day pairings to Europe and Africa (out of YUL), LAS, MCO and the odd carribean turns out of YYZ.

To answer your question, benifits as a junior pilot is that you avoid reserve and get socialized bidding. After the flat 4 years the pay is about 15-20% less on the right seat compare to a similiar mainline position.

Last edited by RVR6000 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Thanks. If you go to Rouge initially how does it work if you later want to come over to Mainline?

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Victory wrote:Thanks. If you go to Rouge initially how does it work if you later want to come over to Mainline?
You can bid mainline positions as your seniority dictates, AC puts position freezes as they wish for new hires. Lately they’ve been releasing the freeze such that you will be trained to your newly bid position within 12 months. I believe there is no CR used going between similiar Rouge and Mainline positions.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

altiplano wrote:Straight seniority determines the position you can hold.

Junior EMJ Captain YYZ is about a year.

Junior 320 Captain is maybe 3 years.
Bottom 2% of positions are not really representative of required seniority as the gap between 2% and 5% might be 400 numbers. But there is no doubt that the rate of movement and upgrade opportunities is significant.

The younger new hires at AC will have an unprecedented career path and earnings.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

altiplano wrote:
Victory wrote:Ah, I see thanks. So if you care more about what type you are on instead of what base you are at can you ask, for example, for:
etc?

Not all types are at all bases.

YVR
320, 787, 777 / L767

YWG

YYZ
EMJ, 737, 320, 767, 787, 777 / L319, L767

YUL
737, 320, 330, 787 / L319, L767

I think I got them all there. . they change/move things sometimes too... pretty regularly in fact...
One thing to add if it hasn't been mentioned, not all open positions are offered in each ground school course. For example, the most recent GS had an option of A320, 737 and EMJ. No RP positions were offered.

In the ground school you pick seniority numbers and then based on your seniority number within the class, you pick (or get get stuck with) the positions that are being offered. After your initial position you are 'frozen' on type for a certain amount of time. There are a number of ways to bid 'off' your first position, but as I understand it, it's not automatic that as soon as you can hold another position you get to bid off the aircraft.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Interesting no RPs

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

infiniteregulus wrote:Interesting no RPs
However you do get a RP bid, worth to try it out within the 4 year flat pay to get a taste of WB overseas flying.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

is it possible that with the type of pay over the first 4 years guys are picking all RP positions in hopes of less commuting or a better lifestyle....maybe have more time to have another income source etc?
Lets hope they run out of PML and open up that posting

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

CAL wrote:is it possible that with the type of pay over the first 4 years guys are picking all RP positions in hopes of less commuting or a better lifestyle....maybe have more time to have another income source etc?
Lets hope they run out of PML and open up that posting
It all depends, if you’re looking to upgrade quick it’s easier to do right to left than going from RP to CA. Not that it hasn’t been done, but it makes things a lot easier when you’re familiar with the routes and the airplane.

Given the incidences in the last few years training standards are going up as well.

Return to “Air Canada”