AVCANADA

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:03 pm

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:03 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:47 pm
Posts: 1337
https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Canada

Its the first post



Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:21 am 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 am
Posts: 38
Oh that's not a job posting. It's just Air Canada's profile page.
A job posting is like:
https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot-Job-Posting-Pilot-Opening-Pilot-Job/11361/Canada/First-Officers/Q400%2C-CRJ705-900/Jazz-Aviation-LP



Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:43 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:47 pm
Posts: 1337
Well thats what I was thinking but a couple weeks ago another posted posted that he thought ac was hiring again also...this is the second company update in a couple weeks for AC that following the news update states hiring.
I guess the confusion is they are technically hiring just they dont have a job posting open so OTS cant apply.



Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:45 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:32 am
Posts: 38
Yes they are definitely "hiring". That part is not wrong. They just aren't taking applications right now from the general public.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:01 pm 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 9:07 pm
Posts: 13
Do you have any cues when AC will hire from now? I was wondering if they are filling up all their groundschool?

I was told that you could be hired by Air Canada straight out from a King Air, is that true? In this case, this would be amazing!

Safe and happy flights to all!



Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:16 am 
Online
Rank 10
Rank 10

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm
Posts: 2410
Air Canada is actively hiring right now.

There is no problem filling the courses.

Air Canada has hired out of 703/704 turboprops before, and probably will again in the future, but current new hires are all mostly experienced on larger aircraft... mostly 705 jet, some 705 turboprop, some military, some corporate...



Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:51 pm 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 9:07 pm
Posts: 13
altiplano wrote:
Air Canada is actively hiring right now.

There is no problem filling the courses.

Air Canada has hired out of 703/704 turboprops before, and probably will again in the future, but current new hires are all mostly experienced on larger aircraft... mostly 705 jet, some 705 turboprop, some military, some corporate...


Thank you Altiplano for sharing. Safe flights to you.



Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:00 am 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:48 am
Posts: 49
altiplano wrote:
Air Canada is actively hiring right now.

There is no problem filling the courses.

Air Canada has hired out of 703/704 turboprops before, and probably will again in the future, but current new hires are all mostly experienced on larger aircraft... mostly 705 jet, some 705 turboprop, some military, some corporate...


I guess they might soon do away with the uni requirement as well ... last I heard jazz has been hiring ppl without atpls as well.



Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:09 am 
Online
Rank 10
Rank 10

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm
Posts: 2410
University isn't a hard requirement, but is highly desirable.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:35 am 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 9:07 pm
Posts: 13
altiplano wrote:
University isn't a hard requirement, but is highly desirable.


Very nice altiplano! That's funny, when I started in Quebec, many persons in the industry told us to do a degree in something but many of us (students) of our generation (90's) were puzzled about that idea but I found that important, as a plan B. I am glad you say it is still desirable.



Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:58 am 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Posts: 3
altiplano wrote:
Air Canada is actively hiring right now.

There is no problem filling the courses.
...


I suspect you mean actively hiring from PML & from the ones who applied during the 2016 Spring window?
Because there is still no pilot jobs posted on AC's site.



Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:08 am 
Online
Rank 10
Rank 10

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm
Posts: 2410
Maybe.

I'm sure they have lots of applications on file from the past, maybe they are working through those.

It used to take years of applying at AC to get hired for the most part... even now if you have just met the minimum to apply, then I wouldn't expect a call.

Anyway, the new bid shows in excess of 500 vacancies. Lots of hiring to come...



Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:57 am 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:59 pm
Posts: 3
Thanks altiplano. I got 5000+hrs and I'm an FO on the 737NG, bilingual with a degree. Hopefully all that will help. Do we need internal recommendations in order to get in AC, like Westjet does? I'm trying to compare benefits between AC and Westjet, trying to do what's best for my family. I'll look at other posts to try to compare. It looks like AC pilots are divided about the latest TA and the DC pension switch. I was hoping they'd go with Defined Benefits,, not MEPP, but that would have been too good to be true. That's for another post.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 pm 
Online
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:35 pm
Posts: 158
From what I've heard and seen AC is the major in Canada where internal references will not help you so much.


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:49 pm 
Online
Rank 10
Rank 10

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm
Posts: 2410
There is an internal reference program.

Pilots can recommend someone every few years or so... while it isn't a certainty, I believe it adds to your 'points' ie. all other things equal it might push you over the top...

A lot of us thought that we could stand up for a better pension for the post-FOS hires and had a good shot at even a DB pension through successive no concession interest arbitrations as was laid out in our 10 year deal... many in the union didn't see it that way and sold the TBP and related concessions hard...

Unfortunately many members took the nearsighted, overpriced improvement, or were gun-shy to arbitration, or generally just didn't have a critical review of what was in front of them and voted for it... so the DB in the future has sailed...TBP/MEPP/CWIPP does look reasonable though and is a gain for new hires - we just over paid for it... time to move on...

It's a good job. Lots of openings plus many retirements to come and varied opportunity to someone joining now.



Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:05 am 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 9:07 pm
Posts: 13
altiplano wrote:
There is an internal reference program.

Pilots can recommend someone every few years or so... while it isn't a certainty, I believe it adds to your 'points' ie. all other things equal it might push you over the top...

A lot of us thought that we could stand up for a better pension for the post-FOS hires and had a good shot at even a DB pension through successive no concession interest arbitrations as was laid out in our 10 year deal... many in the union didn't see it that way and sold the TBP and related concessions hard...

Unfortunately many members took the nearsighted, overpriced improvement, or were gun-shy to arbitration, or generally just didn't have a critical review of what was in front of them and voted for it... so the DB in the future has sailed...TBP/MEPP/CWIPP does look reasonable though and is a gain for new hires - we just over paid for it... time to move on...

It's a good job. Lots of openings plus many retirements to come and varied opportunity to someone joining now.



I am eager and very enthusiastic to see that. What is DB or TBP/MEPP/CWIPP altiplano??



Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:52 am 
Online
Rank 10
Rank 10

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm
Posts: 2410
DB= Defined Benefit pension
- Defined pension payout for life after retirement based on a formula of years of service and highest average earnings
- the pension Air Canada Pilots had before Lisa Raitt and the Harper Conservatives illegally allowed the corporation to close it in 2012... Pilots hired today don't have that plan.

TBP/MEPP/CWIPP= Target Benefit Plan/Multi Employer Pension Plan/Canada Wide Industrial Pension Plan
- TBP is the type of plan, the specific one we got for our members is CWIPP... and it's a MEPP...
- basically it allows you to save in a registered, pooled plan beyond current ITA limits
- there are ups and downs of the plan vs. DC/RRSP savings some loss of flexibility and control with your money, you pay more due no ITA limit, the payout can vary, if you leave AC you would do better with your money in a well managed portfolio,... but for those that don't want to think about it and come out the the other end of this career with a payout for life... there you go.



Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 am 
Offline
Rank 4
Rank 4

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:15 am
Posts: 239
Location: Near YOW
altiplano wrote:
There is an internal reference program.

Pilots can recommend someone every few years or so... while it isn't a certainty, I believe it adds to your 'points' ie. all other things equal it might push you over the top...

A lot of us thought that we could stand up for a better pension for the post-FOS hires and had a good shot at even a DB pension through successive no concession interest arbitrations as was laid out in our 10 year deal... many in the union didn't see it that way and sold the TBP and related concessions hard...

Unfortunately many members took the nearsighted, overpriced improvement, or were gun-shy to arbitration, or generally just didn't have a critical review of what was in front of them and voted for it... so the DB in the future has sailed...TBP/MEPP/CWIPP does look reasonable though and is a gain for new hires - we just over paid for it... time to move on...

.



Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:27 pm 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 9:07 pm
Posts: 13
altiplano wrote:
DB= Defined Benefit pension
- Defined pension payout for life after retirement based on a formula of years of service and highest average earnings
- the pension Air Canada Pilots had before Lisa Raitt and the Harper Conservatives illegally allowed the corporation to close it in 2012... Pilots hired today don't have that plan.

TBP/MEPP/CWIPP= Target Benefit Plan/Multi Employer Pension Plan/Canada Wide Industrial Pension Plan
- TBP is the type of plan, the specific one we got for our members is CWIPP... and it's a MEPP...
- basically it allows you to save in a registered, pooled plan beyond current ITA limits
- there are ups and downs of the plan vs. DC/RRSP savings some loss of flexibility and control with your money, you pay more due no ITA limit, the payout can vary, if you leave AC you would do better with your money in a well managed portfolio,... but for those that don't want to think about it and come out the the other end of this career with a payout for life... there you go.


Thank you for this info Altiplano, very useful! So, all pilots from after 2012 don't have this DB plan? DB would have been certainly great, let say if you would have been captain on a 777, it would have been a considerable amount. I guess I will see the MEPP soon or later in my career but I will definitely take a look on all the posibilities.



Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:53 am 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:15 pm
Posts: 132
AviatPsy03 wrote:
altiplano wrote:
DB= Defined Benefit pension
- Defined pension payout for life after retirement based on a formula of years of service and highest average earnings
- the pension Air Canada Pilots had before Lisa Raitt and the Harper Conservatives illegally allowed the corporation to close it in 2012... Pilots hired today don't have that plan.

TBP/MEPP/CWIPP= Target Benefit Plan/Multi Employer Pension Plan/Canada Wide Industrial Pension Plan
- TBP is the type of plan, the specific one we got for our members is CWIPP... and it's a MEPP...
- basically it allows you to save in a registered, pooled plan beyond current ITA limits
- there are ups and downs of the plan vs. DC/RRSP savings some loss of flexibility and control with your money, you pay more due no ITA limit, the payout can vary, if you leave AC you would do better with your money in a well managed portfolio,... but for those that don't want to think about it and come out the the other end of this career with a payout for life... there you go.


Thank you for this info Altiplano, very useful! So, all pilots from after 2012 don't have this DB plan? DB would have been certainly great, let say if you would have been captain on a 777, it would have been a considerable amount. I guess I will see the MEPP soon or later in my career but I will definitely take a look on all the posibilities.


To add some important details comparing the DB to the TBP:
Under the DB, once you have completed the years of service required to have an unreduced pension (25 years), the amount of benefit you collect in retirement has nothing to do with your career average earnings, but rather your "best 5" years of service. Example: some one who was a 777 captain from day 1 to retirement at 25 years vs someone who was an RP for 20 years and then held 777 captain for the last 5 years, both would receive identical pensions.
Under the TBP, your benefit collected in retirement is a target based on a number of factors, the but importantly it is calculated based on average career earnings. So the example given above would produce different pensions since pilot #1 earned far more over his/her career. This type of pension has the side effect of encouraging maximum earnings over the entire career. Or interpreted differently, bidding junior positions your whole career.
Another important distinction is that a DB cuts off contributions at a specific YOS (also 25 years I believe?). Meaning a pilot hired young can actually do better in retirement under the TBP since there is no maximum contributions (in percentage of income yes, but not dollar amount or number of years of contributions).
It is far more complicated than anyone can spell out here, but in essence the younger a pilot is hired and the more he/she earns in their career, the difference in benefit between the two pensions is quickly erased. Keep in mind though, more years contributing to a TBP is more you are not getting in pocket during that time.
One final note about the TBP. Many would have you believe that being a Target Benefit Plan, the amount you will receive in benefit is always in limbo and any fluctuations in market return/interest rates/member contribution etc will throw your retirement plans on shaky ground. The fact is the CWIPP has been operating for over 30 years and has only reduced benefit twice (benefits are reduced group specifically; meaning one company's shortfall in contribution affects those members only, not all CWIPP members) and those were for employee groups of less than 20 people. ACPA pilots will be the largest employee group to join CWIPP (over 800 members already) and bring by far the most stability, through amount of money being contributed, and volume of members contributing. And that number will only increase over the decades (as DBers retire and TBPers are hired).
Yes the TBP has inferior qualities to the DB plan. But don't let anyone tell you it's a slightly better DC plan.



Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:24 pm 
Online
Rank 10
Rank 10

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:24 pm
Posts: 2410
aV1...

Some good info.

The contributions are capped at 35 years for DB members.

So while you don't pay beyond that, I believe you also don't benefit if those last, noncontributory years are your highest earning... some of the guys that were hired young or bought back pensions (military) run into that...

I think your 777 Captain from day 1 vs. career RP example is a little extreme...

It's also worth noting though that until you retire (DB), if you go on disability, if you die, if you quit, if you're fired, your pension value is a value based on your actual contributions... ie. you get what you put in...

Also remember, that many guys here have stagnated most of their careers throughout the merger, 9/11, SARS, Great Recession, Age 65... of course some guys have been damn lucky... but it's the exception imo...

Current vintage new hires getting seats it took over a decade seniority to get just a couple years ago... career prospects look pretty good... maybe never better...



Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:29 pm 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 9:07 pm
Posts: 13
altiplano wrote:
aV1...

Some good info.

The contributions are capped at 35 years for DB members.

So while you don't pay beyond that, I believe you also don't benefit if those last, noncontributory years are your highest earning... some of the guys that were hired young or bought back pensions (military) run into that...

I think your 777 Captain from day 1 vs. career RP example is a little extreme...

It's also worth noting though that until you retire (DB), if you go on disability, if you die, if you quit, if you're fired, your pension value is a value based on your actual contributions... ie. you get what you put in...

Also remember, that many guys here have stagnated most of their careers throughout the merger, 9/11, SARS, Great Recession, Age 65... of course some guys have been damn lucky... but it's the exception imo...

Current vintage new hires getting seats it took over a decade seniority to get just a couple years ago... career prospects look pretty good... maybe never better...


I am religiously reading all of your advice! Thank you for your time, I'll be aware of this subject when it will be time, I hope soon, I am kind of eager to be part of the AC team to be honest. You know what Altiplano I am agree on career prospects, I am a 90's kid and since I started my licenses, I've never seen an hiring process like that. I heard a tons of stories about how hard it was to be hired by a major airline 30 years ago and I feel sorry for all of you who had a hard time getting higher with the majors. On the other side, I am very happy that we have an enormous opportunity to fly bigger airplane with only 900 hours (Jazz for example).

Safe flights to you!



Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:20 am 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:50 am
Posts: 127
It was asked above but I'll ask again, does anyone know if/when/how you can get your money out of the new pension if you leave Air Canada after only a couple of years?


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:32 am 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:15 pm
Posts: 132
Thanks for the correction altiplano. I have a more limited understanding of the DB since it was never an option anyways. The extreme rp/777 captain example is unrealistic, but simply to point out the difference between best 5 vs career average earnings.

The CWIPP pension is portable up until age 50, but it is more complicated than just sending an email that you want your money. A more knowledgeable pension expert could provide more details than I can give, but there is limited ability to commute the pension.



Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 am 
Offline
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm
Posts: 1489
THere are Jazz pilots that took over $1 million with them from their jazz DB Plan when they went to AC. 100% convertible to commuted value (with some tax consequences) but not portable to the AC plan(s) as I understand it.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: sportingrifle and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
[ GZIP: Off ]

For questions/comments please send them to
avcanada@gmail.com


AvCanada Topsites List
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. If you feel a topic or post is inappropriate email us at avcanada@gmail.com .  By reading these forums you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable. This website is not responsible or liable in any way for any false or misleading messages or job ads placed at our site. 

Use AvCanada's information at your own risk!

We reserve the right to remove any messages that we deem unacceptable.
When you post a message, your IP is logged and may be provided to concerned parties where unethical or illegal behavior is apparent. All rights reserved.