Meet Swoop - WestJet's ultra-low-cost carrier has a name, a home and a purpose

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Meet Swoop - WestJet's ultra-low-cost carrier has a name, a home and a purpose

Post by HansDietrich »

---------- ADS -----------

Das ist mir wurst...
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Meet Swoop - WestJet's ultra-low-cost carrier has a name, a home and a purpose

Post by montado »

Worth leaving Jazz for, Hans?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Meet Swoop - WestJet's ultra-low-cost carrier has a name, a home and a purpose

Post by Inverted2 »

Hopefully this doesn't involve a pink tie and a 20% pay cut.

Let’s Go Brandon
RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

Inverted2 wrote:Hopefully this doesn't involve a pink tie and a 20% pay cut.
100% it will. Will be interesting to see where they get the pilots from. Because for sure the wages will not be mainline wages. I would bet my left nut on that. Also on the pink ties etc.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

'Swoop there is it!' :rock:

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

:lol:

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

If I were WJALPA's newly formed Negotiating Committee, I would be dropping everything right now and focusing on getting the scope clause of the century. This pink piece of garbage has the potential to do some serious damage to our profession

PROC_HDG

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

And here folks is the end of an era. Luxury to meh to this.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

If the fare offers are to good to be true, then consumers should do due diligence with these LCCs.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/airline ... -1.4301505

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Inverted2 wrote:Hopefully this doesn't involve a pink tie and a 20% pay cut.

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/2x8D4T--0v4

YesMassaPayson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YesMassaPayson »

Yikes

Attachments
22054616_10159167875060411_928686950_n.jpg
22054616_10159167875060411_928686950_n.jpg (50.01 KiB) Viewed 6772 times
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Any rumours on pay other than it will probably be crap? $500 maybe? It will be interesting to see where they get captains from.

Dangerous Goods
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dangerous Goods »

The numbers that GS has been dropping in hallway conversations with other pilots is 65% of mainline wages and benefits, and more days worked of course.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Dangerous Goods wrote:The numbers that GS has been dropping in hallway conversations with other pilots is 65% of mainline wages and benefits, and more days worked of course.
You have got to be kidding? Is he smoking crack?

moe
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by moe »

trip G loves crack...and cheap pilots.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

PROC_HDG wrote:If I were WJALPA's newly formed Negotiating Committee, I would be dropping everything right now and focusing on getting the scope clause of the century. This pink piece of garbage has the potential to do some serious damage to our profession

PROC_HDG
This is tricky because they all have a different OC and no official affiliation like AC and Rouge (Rouge is under a LOU in the AC contract. WS reps can't negotiate the pay rates and conditions for Encore and Swoop. So unless the company is playing nice and wants to work out a beneficial for all agreement then it's a bit of a stale mate if they are using it as a negotiating tactict.

All ALPA can do is make it as hard as possible for Swoop to get crewed, no flow with seniority, loss of WS seniority if they go for a management position at Swoop... ALPA owns the seniority, not the company. Might seem unreasonable but the union can only mirror the what is across the negotiation table. When WS plays nice then ALPA will too.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

montado wrote:Worth leaving Jazz for, Hans?
Good question. It would be, if one's goal was primarily to get a 737NG type rating then move overseas. I'm also willing to bet that regardless of how cheap "Swoop" goes, it will never pay a 737 F/O 40K a year. I just don't see that happening; then again, I've seen more shocking things in this industry.

I have a feeling this grotesque experiment will turn into another "ZIP" or "Tango", something that I hope for. We've all been responsible by playing our small part in the degradation of our industry. I just never thought it possible at this level. A guy like me, with thousands of hours of flying should not have to prostitute himself for a type rating or flight benefits.

Yet... there will always be that one individual that sais... F*ck it, I got me a NG Type Rating...

Das ist mir wurst...
FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

I would be expecting a bond and all ancillary costs during training paid for by the pink pilot.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Pardon my ignorance of all things airlines but where are the B737-800 or whatever Captains gonna come from, those guys/gals are not exactly dime a dozen this day and age.

RidersRule
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RidersRule »

I can see it now...

"Come fly Swoop where we charge you to poop!!"

It's funny because it's true...

Return to “WestJet”