Meet Swoop - WestJet's ultra-low-cost carrier has a name, a home and a purpose

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Meet Swoop - WestJet's ultra-low-cost carrier has a name, a home and a purpose

Post by skypirate88 »

I sure hope the bank can give me a loan for my 737 type rating...maybe use my house as collateral. I'd really like to fly the 737 and don't mind pink.

How low are we going to go? I have never seen hiring like this in my career, and yet we have what I thought was a respectable company trying to drive down wawcon even further. I sure hope this isn't going to be a carrot dangled in front of the Encore group to stop them from joining ALPA
---------- ADS -----------

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Dangerous Goods
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Meet Swoop - WestJet's ultra-low-cost carrier has a name, a home and a purpose

Post by Dangerous Goods »

You can bet you pink bottom they'll use it as a carrot, and MANY pilots will bite. Just be prepared to lose flow and your spot on the mainline list. But hey, they'll get to fly a 737, so that's pretty cool....

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

skypirate88 wrote:I sure hope the bank can give me a loan for my 737 type rating...maybe use my house as collateral. I'd really like to fly the 737 and don't mind pink.

How low are we going to go? I have never seen hiring like this in my career, and yet we have what I thought was a respectable company trying to drive down wawcon even further. I sure hope this isn't going to be a carrot dangled in front of the Encore group to stop them from joining ALPA
I agree with you to some extent, but remember, flying as an F/O on a Dash or Q at any of the "regionals" doesn't pay that great anymore. Anyone with half a brain would pick Jazz, Encore or Porter over Swoop, but as long as Flair can get 737 pilots, this Swoop will be able to get them too. Also, if your goal is to go overseas and fly heavy metal, a 737NG type rating and 500 hrs on type is almost a guarantee job, making over 150K a year somewhere in Asia or the ME.

So, it is an attractive offer but only as a stepping stone to those who want to move on quickly.

Das ist mir wurst...
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Dangerous Goods wrote:The numbers that GS has been dropping in hallway conversations with other pilots is 65% of mainline wages and benefits, and more days worked of course.
I can see a mid-level f/o at somewhere stagnant taking that, getting 500pic, and weigh-heigh, off to China and big dollars.

They'll get pilots at 65%, for sure; as I see it, the big question is will they keep them?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Tell me again why Asia and ME pays so highly for pilots and North America does not??

Boreas
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Boreas »

infiniteregulus wrote:Tell me again why Asia and ME pays so highly for pilots and North America does not??
Because people want to live here and raise families and shit. Something thats being exploited more and more by NA airlines...

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

HansDietrich wrote:
skypirate88 wrote:I sure hope the bank can give me a loan for my 737 type rating...maybe use my house as collateral. I'd really like to fly the 737 and don't mind pink.

I agree with you to some extent, but remember, flying as an F/O on a Dash or Q at any of the "regionals" doesn't pay that great anymore. Anyone with half a brain would pick Jazz, Encore or Porter over Swoop, but as long as Flair can get 737 pilots, this Swoop will be able to get them too. Also, if your goal is to go overseas and fly heavy metal, a 737NG type rating and 500 hrs on type is almost a guarantee job, making over 150K a year somewhere in Asia or the ME.

So, it is an attractive offer but only as a stepping stone to those who want to move on quickly.
From my point of view, which doesn't involve extensive interest, it seems the only jobs that pay anything worthwhile are the Captain positions. There is an ad out today on here for A320 FOs with pay of $70k ish and to me that doesn't seem worth de rooting yourself overseas.

I'm sure the low pay will cause turnover so I'm sure it will be quick upgrades.

The question is: wouldn't it be cheaper to just pay your pilots properly than have constant turnover and a strained training department and associated costs?

DropTanks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by DropTanks »

Swoop not looking for pilots. That was in error apparently. Will be flown by WJ pilots.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

swoop

swo͞op/Submit
verb
move rapidly downward through the air.

synonyms: dive, descend, sweep, pounce, plunge, pitch, nosedive; More

informal
seize with a sweeping motion.

How appropriate

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

On a more serious note:

Air Canada Rouge and Encore do not have licences from the Canadian Transportation Agency. I assume Swoop wont either.

Historically, all carriers were required to have a Licence and Rouge and Encore were the first to ask the CTA for a waiver from this requirement which the CTA granted.

I looked at the application and the reply, and I just cant put my finger on it, but I smell a rat.......

If an airline was non compliant in any way, the CTA could pull your licence. Rouge and Encore have no licence to be pulled......

Dangerous Goods
Rank 1
Rank 1

DropTanks wrote:Swoop not looking for pilots. That was in error apparently. Will be flown by WJ pilots.
Just to be clear, WJ is requesting the use of the WJ pilot list BUT at a reduced WAWCON. It's been WJ position from the beginning and it has to be negotiated. Thank GOD we have ALPA at the table. Encore better hurry up and certify as well.

Last edited by Dangerous Goods on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^ Why would anyone with 1/2 a brain do that? Take a paycut to do the same job, and at the same time, undercut your brethren at mainline - that'd make for a *really* frosty cockpit if/when you went back to the mothership..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Dangerous Goods
Rank 1
Rank 1

Went back to mainline line? Yah...BOTL

Eugene_goostman
Rank 1
Rank 1

Swoop

Post by Eugene_goostman »

New ULCC by Westjet announced.

https://www.flyswoop.com

FICU
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by FICU »

North Shore wrote:^ Why would anyone with 1/2 a brain do that? Take a paycut to do the same job, and at the same time, undercut your brethren at mainline - that'd make for a *really* frosty cockpit if/when you went back to the mothership..
Cuz 4 bars. I'm sure many a WJ FO would be more than happy to get Pic time and WJ management knows it. FOs probably off the street or from Encore cuz shiny jet.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Swoop

Gotta love all the cheaply photoshopped pink in all their website's photos. They couldn't even afford a professional designer....

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

infiniteregulus wrote:Tell me again why Asia and ME pays so highly for pilots and North America does not??
Actually, the US does pay. Just check out he legacy rates effective in 2018. Without currency adjustment: 25-30% above Canada. With currency adjustment: closer to 40-50% higher.

The deficiency lies in Canada. Thanks in part to tilted arbitrations and abuse of power by the former Conservative government. And thanks in part to the inability of Canadian pilots to speak and act with one voice.

Perhaps things will change. Perhaps not.

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Swoop

Post by FighterPilot »

Website is so bad I thought it was a fake...

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Well this is indeed bothersome that Canadian pilots are becoming poverty level to the rest of the world. I'd be curious to see a list of what the mean pilot income would rank vs the globe.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Actually, according to this, we don't even rank in the top 11.

http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/11-hi ... ts-448719/

11.Switzerland, 10.Kuwait, 9.Sweden, 8.Japan, 7.USA, 6.Italy, 5.Australia, 4.UK, 3.Hong Kong, 2.UAE, 1.Bahrain

Return to “WestJet”