The Bombardier VS Boeing thing

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: The Bombardier VS Boeing thing

Post by rookiepilot »

DonutHole wrote:
rookiepilot wrote:
sanjet wrote:
That being said, Bombardier needs a better PR department (executive pay raises, late trains for Toronto, etc....)
They don't need a better PR dept. Gosh it seems some Canadian companies have quite enough PR departments. It's the rest of the company that needs attention.

I don't understand why it isn't obvious how incompetent this company is, to everyone. They are currently sueing their major train customer (Metrolinx) for not rewarding them with new business, due to their own incompetence on the bungled train contract! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Just DO YOUR JOB. Bizzare how saying this is SO hysterically offensive to the snowflakes!

This company deserves to die. I'm tired of supporting them, and their rich pay packages, with my money.

We all know of course, if this was an Alberta company, it would be long, long gone. No federal money for the west, but we must mollycoddle Quebec.
Aren't you the guy who was wrong about bombardier lasting six more months before they tanked?
Just look at the stock price. It's a dead corpse. Then look at Boeing's. Without Federal Aid -- This latest Loan :lol: Will never be fully paid back. Ever. This is a bailout.

Don't you guys' ever wonder why no private equity funds, no deep pocketed investment funds, in a raging bull market where money is being thrown at anything with a pulse, money losing Uber and Tesla, among others, are valued at billions of dollars, would touch this rotting company with a ten foot pole? Hint. They distrust the management, I suspect. Duh.

This isn't the financial crisis where there was no money and governments had to step in. Bombardier is so dysfunctional they have to be the only major corporate bailout happening in North America right now, if not the world. It's stupid policy to buy votes.

The Caisse are idiots too, if they are risking their members money on this.

If you guys believe so much, put your own retirement $$$$ in. Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

It's one thing to fly the Canadian flag. Quite another to risk money foolishly.
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Gino Under wrote:It was very eloquently stated by the Quebec Trade Commissioner in New York yesterday regarding 'subsidies' and Bombardier.
A subsidy is a handout. Free and gratis, no strings attached.
In fact, Webster defines a subsidy as "a grant by a government to a private person or company to assist an enterprise deemed advantageous to the public."

Bombardier received NO such grant from the Government of Canada or the Government of Quebec for the C series.

The Quebec Government DID lend BBD (the company) $1 Billion (repayable). The Caisse de Depot invested $1.6 Billion in the C series program specifically and the Feds loaned them some $365 Million. Not a single GRANT among the three so-called handouts everyone seems to think Bombardier received.
So with respect to Boeing's 'subsidy accusation', I think their lawyers need to pull out a dictionary and get their heads around the difference between a loan and a subsidy.

Two years ago Bombardier approached several respected industry aircraft manufacturers about a risk-equity investment in C series, including Boeing, but there were no takers. Airbus and Embraer included. Why wouldn't or shouldn't any manufacturer or business for that matter seek investment capital to strengthen their business??? Which is exactly what BBD did as the spectators laughed and pointed fingers. Who better to understand the cost of a clean sheet design than fellow competitors? Is there something ugly about an investor stepping forward, like the Caisse, to share in the risk? And isn't that what many pension funds do with their money, invest? This is another prime example of WHY governments protect their aerospace industry.

Boeing has had two opportunities to exterminate Bombardier and blew both. DeHavilland and now C series. Now they cry fowl because they did nothing in the 80s when Airbus sold the A300 to Eastern Airlines and look where Airbus is today and how much of a threat they are to Boeing. They simply don't want to let Bombardier, COMAC, or Sukhoi enter the U.S. market by offering aircraft meeting a specific market segment Boeing doesn't presently offer.

Boeing is simply doing what it has to do. I get that. Wanting to protect its home market while they have an idiot in the White House. I get that too.

The hypocrisy of this action by Boeing is only going to bite them in the ass.

Gino
See my post. Stupid is as Stupid does, and the taxpayer is the sucker, again.

It isn't the role of government to be in business, nor pick winners and losers. Frankly, they suck when they attempt either course.

Just take one look as well, at the message the Liberal government is sending small business with both the tax changes, and their portrayal as small business owners as crooks. Extremely offensive, the government is telling doctors and western farmers they are tax cheats, while they live on gold plated pensions and shell out billions to favoured Quebec pet projects.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

rookiepilot

I respect your opinion. Unbalanced, jaded and as unreasonable as it sounds to me, you're entitled to it. I just don't share your opinion along with many others. It's what makes for good dialogue.

:drinkers:
cheers, Gino

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Gino Under wrote:It's unfortunate that a usually intelligent writer like Andrew Coyne would stick his neck out like this but I guess that's how you generate readership. As preposterous as his thoughts on the subject may seem.
It's pointless to debate with any member of the public the tariff issue over C Series.
Jane and Joe public may recognize an airplane when they see one. But that's where their knowledge about aviation, airlines, and aerospace ends. Including Mr. Coyne's.

For the general tax paying public to offer an opinion or analysis of this complicated an issue is laughable and beyond description.

Gino
Correct me if wrong but there has been success stories in Canadian Aerospace. DHC-2/3/6 come to my mind

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Gino Under wrote:rookiepilot

I respect your opinion. Unbalanced, jaded and as unreasonable as it sounds to me, you're entitled to it. I just don't share your opinion along with many others. It's what makes for good dialogue.

:drinkers:
cheers, Gino
https://www.google.ca/search?q=bbd,b+ch ... jwPq9aK4BA

Here's the collective opinion of millions of investors: (choose 10 year chart)

I have lots of company in my view.

Look this is NOTHING to do with whether the C-Series is a great plane or not. I'm sure it is, and BBD has some great engineers.

The fact is the Management is completely incompetent, not only in my view, but in the view of anyone deep pocketed who might have invested in them. (Sorry the Caisse doesn't count). And they can't be removed due to the share structure.

The big boys couldn't give a crap about the C series, or Z series. Its only the management if they like it, and voting control if they don't.

There you go. I'd rather it were different, and it was a great success story for Canada, but it is what it is.

Cheers

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

"Just look at the stock price. It's a dead corpse. Then look at Boeing's. Without Federal Aid -- This latest Loan Will never be fully paid back. Ever. This is a bailout."
Actually the stock price is up today. The comparative age, size, and book value of Boeing compared to Bombardier? Really? Godzilla versus Bambi. Good example.

BTW, Bombardier sold 50 Q400s today. 14 more C series to Air Baltic yesterday. Tally up those sales and let us know what number you come up with. Then we'll talk about corpses and accurate financial statements.

"Don't you guys' ever wonder why no private equity funds, no deep pocketed investment funds, in a raging bull market where money is being thrown at anything with a pulse, money losing Uber and Tesla, among others, are valued at billions of dollars, would touch this rotting company with a ten foot pole? Hint. They distrust the management, I suspect. Duh."
They might have mistrusted the previous management but they certainly trust the present one who've turned this company around, so far.

"This isn't the financial crisis where there was no money and governments had to step in. Bombardier is so dysfunctional they have to be the only major corporate bailout happening in North America right now, if not the world. It's stupid policy to buy votes."
That's a pretty safe non-statement. But, buying votes in Quebec isn't the issue here as the present Provincial and Federal Liberals are not looking good for re-election. In fact, many Quebeckers will place part of the blame for any 'bailout' or 'ridiculous executive salary' squarely on the present government. Try and buy votes? Maybe. But I don't think that would work. Besides, if Mr. Couillard decides to raise the price of Hydro Quebec power sold to the U.S. by 200%, what do you think it would do the them?

"The Caisse are idiots too, if they are risking their members money on this."
So, you really don't keep track of Bombardier sales and the potential Caisse ROI, do you?

"If you guys believe so much, put your own retirement $$$$ in. Good luck with that."
I do.

"It's one thing to fly the Canadian flag. Quite another to risk money foolishly."
I couldn't agree more.

I've been an investor for the better part of my adult life. Based on my experience, most Financial Advisers and Industry Experts rarely get it right. Wanna start with Bre-X? Be very careful when they give you advise or tell you where the industry or particular company (BBD) is headed. This time last year they were saying BBD wouldn't last six more months.
Yeah, right. Thanks for the investment advise.

If you're a competitor, you file complaints wherever you can. Especially if your product was aimed at a market segment that has been seriously scoped out while yours wasn't.
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/wt ... spartandhp

Gino Under

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

[quote="Gino Under]They might have mistrusted the previous management but they certainly trust the present one who've turned this company around, so far.

Gino Under[/quote]

Excuse me, but...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!

Friday LOL!

And respectfully, I think I know a wee bit more about this stuff than you do.

Carry on ---

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

And, I know what I know.

Bombardier revenue.
2016 Revenues
$16.3 Billion USD
2017 1st Qtr Revenues
3.6 Billion USD
2017 2nd Qtr Revenues
$3.6 Billion USD
This weeks Revenues
50 DHC8 Q400s sold, worth
$1.7 Billion USD
14 CS300s sold, worth
$1.2 Billion USD

Gino

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Gino Under wrote:And, I know what I know.

Bombardier revenue.
2016 Revenues
$16.3 Billion USD
2017 1st Qtr Revenues
3.6 Billion USD
2017 2nd Qtr Revenues
$3.6 Billion USD
This weeks Revenues
50 DHC8 Q400s sold, worth
$1.7 Billion USD
14 CS300s sold, worth
$1.2 Billion USD

Gino
"We're bleeding money. Let's simply increase our volume".

How's that working out again? So successful, and so much profitable business lined up, they had to turn down all kinds of private investors.

No; wait.....

This is such an amusing conversation.

Tell me, Gino. How long have you held this stock? It was $25 in 2000. Today, its a Tooney, plus tax.

Boeing in 2000 was 40 bucks. Now, BA is 250.

Are you telling me Bombardier is better managed than Boeing?

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

rookiepilot, slow down.
I'm still laughing at your previous posts because I can't make any sense of what it is you're trying to say? Other than naw, naw, na naw, naw.

I bought BBD at around 3.75. In 2000 it was somewhere around 32 bucks having split three times during the rise of the Regional Jet. So, foolish investor I am, I'm buying while its' low and planning to watch it rise to around 5 to 10 bucks over the next (say) 3 to 10 years. Imagine if it goes to 15????

I really don't think you understand the folks running this company. For the first time in a long while they have aviation industry people in charge. Not someone from the railway or automotive industry or the federal government.

You really should do more research instead of repeating what others say that you seem to like to repeat here.

:rolleyes:

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

The biggest problem with BBD is the way the voting structure is based, if I remember right each family member share is worth something like 10 votes so they never give up a controlling interest... that shouldn't be allowed if you want support from the government. Also does no one know about the big Boeing plant in winnipeg? What about standard aero etc

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

You are correct in the share structure; the family never loses overall control.

If the C series were a tad smaller, none of this would be happening, but of course Embraer would have their noses out of joint, which would be a different kind of altercation.

I suppose the BBD strategists figured they would squeeze in between Boeing/Airbus and Embraer, and the whole thing blew up in their face. I am curious whether Airbus is considering the erection of their own roadblocks.

Not sure that BBD would fare all that well in the midst of the age old Boeing-Airbus dogfight.

I can actually see more money thrown at BBD's way, it remains to be seen if placing good money after bad will have any material effect on a price war.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Gino Under wrote:rookiepilot, slow down.
I'm still laughing at your previous posts because I can't make any sense of what it is you're trying to say? Other than naw, naw, na naw, naw.

I bought BBD at around 3.75. In 2000 it was somewhere around 32 bucks having split three times during the rise of the Regional Jet. So, foolish investor I am, I'm buying while its' low and planning to watch it rise to around 5 to 10 bucks over the next (say) 3 to 10 years. Imagine if it goes to 15????

I really don't think you understand the folks running this company. For the first time in a long while they have aviation industry people in charge. Not someone from the railway or automotive industry or the federal government.

You really should do more research instead of repeating what others say that you seem to like to repeat here.

:rolleyes:
Good luck with your investments Gino.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

thanks.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/np-view ... -must-stop

100% Accurate.

And thinking our fair haired PM will win any pissing contest with the big dogs is lunacy.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

The article is 50% accurate at best.
The rest is pro-American twaddle.

It is pointless to continually restate the obvious as you persistently have a habit of doing. If that’s your thing ... whatever.
Corporate Welfare, handout, bailout, preferred interest rate loans, no interest loans, government investment, tax break, forgivable debt or whatever you care to claim is prevalent when it comes to Bombardier is also accurate when speaking to a much older, more established, much larger company like Boeing. Nothing new here.

It goes on everywhere in the aerospace industry every day. No amount of claiming the moral high ground on this issue makes sense, yet you keep trying to make the point Bombardier is immoral.
Are you blind or just plain bias?
I’m all for the underdog, Bombardier. In case you hadn’t noticed.

As a taxpayer who also finds the taxpayer support for BBD unsavoury is something our aerospace industry needs. So, if it is to continue, how about Bombardier continue to sell aeroplanes and get some of that taxpayer money back into the public coffers?
I’m sick of paying for failed government intervention (Avro Arrow) whether or not they are deserving of our support or not.
By the sound of it, so are you.

Gino :drinkers:

BTW, executive bonuses were negotiated BEFORE government money reigned down on Bombardier.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Gino, I am unabashedly Pro American. We owe an incalculable amount to our best friends and neighbors for where we are today.

The constant America bashing in Canada is completely uneducated. They are not responsible for most of our problems.

It is my professional opinion -- and I do this for a living -- Bombardier is a horribly managed company. That is not bias, that is decades of experience in analysing companies. You are welcome of course to take the other side of that view.

I'll leave it there.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

This is precisely why investment advisors are less accurate and less reliable than a weather forecast. They think they’re right.
Industry analysts no more accurate in their musings and for the same reasons.
Not to be trusted one iota.
Americans get bashed because they leave us with so much to bash on about. The Fall of the American nation as we knew it began years ago. They will be irrelevant in just a few more decades if not sooner.
Whether or not we kneel in deference to all the U.S. has bestowed on Canada has nothing to do with it.
Bullying is bullying.
We need to at least acknowledge it for what it is. Wherever it appears.
I’ll leave it at that.

cheers, :partyman:
Gino

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Gino Under wrote:This is precisely why investment advisors are less accurate and less reliable than a weather forecast. They think they’re right.
Industry analysts no more accurate in their musings and for the same reasons.
Not to be trusted one iota.
Americans get bashed because they leave us with so much to bash on about. The Fall of the American nation as we knew it began years ago. They will be irrelevant in just a few more decades if not sooner.
Whether or not we kneel in deference to all the U.S. has bestowed on Canada has nothing to do with it.
Bullying is bullying.
We need to at least acknowledge it for what it is. Wherever it appears.
I’ll leave it at that.

cheers, :partyman:
Gino
OK, Thanks for the expert opinion on my industry, but I'm neither an advisor, nor an analyst --- But anyway --- :shock:

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Based on the opinions you've expressed over this topic, it's safe to say, I believe I'm as much of an expert in my field as you believe you are in yours. That's fair.

I try to evaluate any financial advice I receive for myself. The last time I blindly followed my financial advisers' confident recommendation, I lost a sh*tload of dollars in the oil patch. Last time I do that. He's told me, even recommended to me that I unload Bombardier. Yet again attempting to fulfill the financial adviser's sage advise, sell low, buy high (better commission). Rarely, if ever, have I been telephoned and told that's as high as she's going dummy, let's sell this sh*t and make a few bucks.

Bombardier is my guy in this fight. Simple as that. I doubt they will be treated fairly by the American courts though. I expect to see a reduction in percentage but a tariff will be applied to C series. Even though, “You can be sure that Bombardier received extensive legal opinions before they accepted any of this money from either the Quebec or the Canadian government and, Bombardier, Ottawa and Quebec all made “a major effort to make sure this would be bulletproof” under international trade law.
Bombardier faces a tough political environment in the U.S., one where the Trump administration has considerably ramped up its review of trade remedy cases. America First!!!

I'm sure we'd have a laugh over a beer, despite our disagreement over this, so don't take this too seriously. WE disagree, and that's fine.

Gino Under :partyman:

Return to “General Comments”