Wow, requirements really going down...

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Wow, requirements really going down...

Post by Meatservo »

HansDietrich wrote:
That's a very poetic way of putting it. Should you ever get to do "bush flying", you'll quickly notice that automation is very much present there (for the most part) and very few operators have aircraft without some basic A/P and if it doesn't, you'll quickly scream for one. There's nothing wrong with automation as long as you get to click that red button from time to time and practice your stick and rudder skills.
Tell me Hans, does the “bush flying” you are talking about involve going to paved airports in a retractable-gear turbine-powered landplane?

You keep using that word... I’m not sure it means what you think it means.

I’ve never heard a bush pilot “screaming” for an autopilot. It must be a very elusive and lonely cry indeed.
---------- ADS -----------

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Meatservo wrote:
HansDietrich wrote:
That's a very poetic way of putting it. Should you ever get to do "bush flying", you'll quickly notice that automation is very much present there (for the most part) and very few operators have aircraft without some basic A/P and if it doesn't, you'll quickly scream for one. There's nothing wrong with automation as long as you get to click that red button from time to time and practice your stick and rudder skills.
Tell me Hans, does the “bush flying” you are talking about involve going to paved airports in a retractable-gear turbine-powered landplane?

You keep using that word... I’m not sure it means what you think it means.

I’ve never heard a bush pilot “screaming” for an autopilot. It must be a very elusive and lonely cry indeed.
Turbine yes, rg yes, no paved runways bud (or extremely rare). Hard core Northern Flying... believe me, you need some sort of skill to do that. Gravel, dirt, snow, ice etc. What are you trying to imply? That you need to fly a clapped out 172 and land on a tree to call yourself "bush"? I got all the Bush I need. I'm married to a European woman.

Das ist mir wurst...
Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

I’m just not sure I’ve ever heard anyone I know “screaming for an autopilot”. I guess dirt, gravel, snow and ice on your runway can really cramp your style with those little wheels...but “hard core”? I don’t know.

I think pound-for-pound if they could invent some way to keep the inside of the plane warm on the ground that weighed the same as the control box, servos, and little red buttons of your auto-pilot, most bush pilots would scream for that instead. As it stands now, I know of very few operators that would spring for either one however. They’d rather use the available weight as cargo or fuel.

I don’t think you can call it “Bush” flying if all you do is fly over it.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

There is no wheel in "bush" in Canada anyway - i have flown as far north as the pole and never considered Arctic flying as "bush" - no fucking trees - but seriously - airport to airport never - off strip was as close as it comes and even then back to the airport to either a gps or ILS approach. Bush to me was before my time when pilots drew their own maps, drained the oil at night and had to walk to town for gas when they ran short. I flew float and ski aircraft in 60's and early 70's and I thought bush flying was dead then.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

HansDietrich wrote: That's a very poetic way of putting it. Should you ever get to do "bush flying", you'll quickly notice that automation is very much present there (for the most part) and very few operators have aircraft without some basic A/P and if it doesn't, you'll quickly scream for one. There's nothing wrong with automation as long as you get to click that red button from time to time and practice your stick and rudder skills.
I don't know where you have been working, but the only time I have had an autopilot is where the CARs required it, or the client demanded it.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

HansDietrich wrote: That you need to fly a clapped out 172 and land on a tree to call yourself "bush"? I got all the Bush I need. I'm married to a European woman.
Congrats Hans, you now owe me a new keyboard since I spat coffee all over mine reading that!

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Have you crept into a TeePee lately?

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Cat Driver wrote:Have you crept into a TeePee lately?
Sadly I haven't as of late.

Trust you are well and still enjoying life and that nice missus of yours! :)

All the best!

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

Cat Driver wrote:It would seem that there has been more pilots looking to fly airline than any other kind of flying and the float flying industry is starting to find it difficult to find pilots.

It should be interesting to see where all this ends up.
So what are the chances of finding floatplane flying work with 100 hours of float time in 2018? Also I guess I have to dig deep to find all the mom and pop operators as they don't advertise too much.

My first float gig I got on a driving trip and he hired on the spot, interesting.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”