When is AC hiring again?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: When is AC hiring again?

Post by goingnowherefast »

This seems rather disorganized on the part of AC. Advertise lots of hiring, but no method to apply.
---------- ADS -----------

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

iflyroads wrote:
GATRKGA wrote:
iflyroads wrote:

Then I assume the posting on PCC from two days ago would be to replenish the pool?
Yes. And anyone interviewing right now is being told it's for a pool.

I have also seen the email that is sent out to people inviting them for an interview, and it says "in anticipation of expanding the company's existing 175 fleet" in it. Apparently all interview emails don't have that line either.

The pool is probably for this anticipated expansion.

Thank you for the insight :)
And now i'm hearing communication that we may not be expanding the fleet at all due ACPA vote. Lol ...

But I do understand we are losing 4 people to AC per class indefinitely; which is probably why there's a hiring pool. There's about 6 in the upgrade program; otherwise there seems to be no upgrades going on at the moment. Even the upgrades seem to be on hold until we get leaner. I recently flew with a guy who is in the upgrade program, great guy, was waiting on his in person interview. Has been with the company for 18 months. No degree.
CAL wrote:regardless still no new job posting on the ac site
Between Jazz and SR there's 10 in the Oct 02 class that I know of. 4 from SR. I venture to guess a few from GGN and EVAS? So I think AC is holding its up to 80% pretty darn close. If you go to express you have to understand that there will be waves when AC takes express and when it doesn't. It's in AC's best interest to take express pilots. Already in the system, already operating AC routes, already dealing with the mountain of idiosyncrasies that is the AC operation. They will make a seamless transition to AC as opposed to someone needing to learn it from scratch. Not saying just cause you're not express you're not good, it just is more of a natural pick for AC and unless they want to kill off express, it's in their best interest to keep express lean with light at the end of the tunnel clear and bright. Going forward, I am of the opinion the OTS hire link will probably not open soon, and if it does; will not be the source of many new hires. OTS still remains highly competitive. There's enough applicants from last posting from all OTS/Military. Don't let the 2 or 3 courses of OTS be any indication to things going forward. Neither should the 60 Encore/Wj medicals at AC. It was purely reactive to the state of summer flying at express. Many people with medicals done and 1+ year later have to go in for subsequent medicals before offered a spot.

Probably the only company where you get fingered twice to get hired :lol:

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

thats fine but then why the post of PCC I am assuming that instruction came from AC?

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

So over on the pcc site ac is hiring according to them but no job ad.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

I don't see any recent job ad for Air Canada on PCC. Which one are you referring to?

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Oh that's not a job posting. It's just Air Canada's profile page.
A job posting is like:
https://www.pilotcareercentre.com/Pilot ... viation-LP

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

Well thats what I was thinking but a couple weeks ago another posted posted that he thought ac was hiring again also...this is the second company update in a couple weeks for AC that following the news update states hiring.
I guess the confusion is they are technically hiring just they dont have a job posting open so OTS cant apply.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Yes they are definitely "hiring". That part is not wrong. They just aren't taking applications right now from the general public.

AviatPsy03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AviatPsy03 »

Do you have any cues when AC will hire from now? I was wondering if they are filling up all their groundschool?

I was told that you could be hired by Air Canada straight out from a King Air, is that true? In this case, this would be amazing!

Safe and happy flights to all!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Air Canada is actively hiring right now.

There is no problem filling the courses.

Air Canada has hired out of 703/704 turboprops before, and probably will again in the future, but current new hires are all mostly experienced on larger aircraft... mostly 705 jet, some 705 turboprop, some military, some corporate...

AviatPsy03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AviatPsy03 »

altiplano wrote:Air Canada is actively hiring right now.

Air Canada has hired out of 703/704 turboprops before, and probably will again in the future, but current new hires are all mostly experienced on larger aircraft... mostly 705 jet, some 705 turboprop, some military, some corporate...
Thank you Altiplano for sharing. Safe flights to you.

bruced007
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bruced007 »

I guess they might soon do away with the uni requirement as well ... last I heard jazz has been hiring ppl without atpls as well.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

University isn't a hard requirement, but is highly desirable.

AviatPsy03
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AviatPsy03 »

altiplano wrote:University isn't a hard requirement, but is highly desirable.
Very nice altiplano! That's funny, when I started in Quebec, many persons in the industry told us to do a degree in something but many of us (students) of our generation (90's) were puzzled about that idea but I found that important, as a plan B. I am glad you say it is still desirable.

Prop-to-Jet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Prop-to-Jet »

I suspect you mean actively hiring from PML & from the ones who applied during the 2016 Spring window?
Because there is still no pilot jobs posted on AC's site.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Maybe.

I'm sure they have lots of applications on file from the past, maybe they are working through those.

It used to take years of applying at AC to get hired for the most part... even now if you have just met the minimum to apply, then I wouldn't expect a call.

Anyway, the new bid shows in excess of 500 vacancies. Lots of hiring to come...

Prop-to-Jet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Prop-to-Jet »

Thanks altiplano. I got 5000+hrs and I'm an FO on the 737NG, bilingual with a degree. Hopefully all that will help. Do we need internal recommendations in order to get in AC, like Westjet does? I'm trying to compare benefits between AC and Westjet, trying to do what's best for my family. I'll look at other posts to try to compare. It looks like AC pilots are divided about the latest TA and the DC pension switch. I was hoping they'd go with Defined Benefits,, not MEPP, but that would have been too good to be true. That's for another post.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

From what I've heard and seen AC is the major in Canada where internal references will not help you so much.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

There is an internal reference program.

Pilots can recommend someone every few years or so... while it isn't a certainty, I believe it adds to your 'points' ie. all other things equal it might push you over the top...

A lot of us thought that we could stand up for a better pension for the post-FOS hires and had a good shot at even a DB pension through successive no concession interest arbitrations as was laid out in our 10 year deal... many in the union didn't see it that way and sold the TBP and related concessions hard...

Unfortunately many members took the nearsighted, overpriced improvement, or were gun-shy to arbitration, or generally just didn't have a critical review of what was in front of them and voted for it... so the DB in the future has sailed...TBP/MEPP/CWIPP does look reasonable though and is a gain for new hires - we just over paid for it... time to move on...

It's a good job. Lots of openings plus many retirements to come and varied opportunity to someone joining now.

Return to “Air Canada”