AVCANADA

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:29 pm 
Rank 10
Rank 10

C-FRMV, a Beech King Air BE20 aircraft operated by Keewatin Air under KEW202, was conducting a medevac flight from Lourdes-de-Blanc-Sablon, QC (CYBX) to Sept-Iles, QC (CYZV) with 4 passengers and 2 crew members on board. Shortly after departure from CYBX, the crew
noticed a burning smell in the cockpit, followed by the flight nurse reporting that traces of smoke could be seen in the cabin. The source of smoke was identified as coming from under the middle seat area in the cabin. The crew initiated a return to CYBX, and switched the medical inverter to OFF after which the smoke appeared to dissipate. As the aircraft was preparing to land at CYBX, as the crew selected flaps to approach, the flap motor circuit breaker popped. The circuit breaker was reset successfully and the aircraft landed without further event. While taxiing back to the terminal, the flap motor circuit breaker popped a second time when the flaps were selected to the up position. The crew did not reset the circuit breaker.

After investigation, the operator’s maintenance found that the flap travel limit switch cam assembly had cracked, allowing the flap to bottom out within the flap track, just before the travel limit switch being met. This allowed the flap motor to run continuously to hold the flaps in position versus the gearbox holding the flaps in position. Flap travel limit switch cam assembly was changed and, as a precautionary measure, flap motor and gearbox were also changed. The aircraft tested serviceable and was returned to service.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:56 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Since when do they do medivac in Quebec

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:58 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

dogfood wrote:
Since when do they do medivac in Quebec

I hope you are being sarcastic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:59 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Not at all thought they were nunavut only...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:11 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

When is it a good time to reset a popped circuit breaker?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:27 am 
Rank 7
Rank 7

golden hawk wrote:
When is it a good time to reset a popped circuit breaker?

On the ground when advised to by maintenance one time
Never in the air

Last edited by av8ts on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:58 am 
Rank 10
Rank 10

Incorrect. It depends on the breaker. Some should never be reset, some can be reset once. You follow the instructions in the QRH/abnormal or emergency checklist for your aircraft type.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:31 am 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Hey Meat, a much better answer would be to delete your first two sentences, follow the QRH.

In this example this crew likely did not follow the smoke in the cabin procedure, they made one up. They are lucky. If I was the CP they would be washing lavatories for a week.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:36 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... 1-1801.htm

As always....Transport Canada knows best!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:11 am 
Rank 7
Rank 7

Meatservo wrote:
Incorrect. It depends on the breaker. Some should never be reset, some can be reset once. You follow the instructions in the QRH/abnormal or emergency checklist for your aircraft type.

Incorrect

My QRH says never in the air

Company policy is ok to reset on ground when advised by maintenance

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:13 pm 
Rank 10
Rank 10

av8ts wrote:
Meatservo wrote:

Incorrect

My QRH says never in the air

Company policy is ok to reset on ground when advised by maintenance

Maybe yours does. There are lots of aircraft models in which certain breakers can be reset once, in the air, according to the abnormal procedures checklist.