Aircraft maintenance rates.

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Aircraft maintenance rates.

Post by ruddersup? »

Crazy - If you say that all A.D.'s should be researched back to day one are you then going to document in the log book that you have researched all the A.D.'s. and non apply? Will you stake your licence on it? It's a next to impossible task IMHO especially on older aircraft because instruments, radios, engine accessories and components for sure have changed over the years. Just trying to find make and model of instruments might require pulling them out to compare to equipment list. I'm finding that equipment lists are outdated, never mind electrical load analysis. So a detailed research of A.D.'s will more than likely uncover undocumented components installed and now comes the problem of certifying those components. Hmmmmmm. Oh I wish I got into the marine business, how refreshing that must be.
Sorry, a slow rainy Sat. morning.
---------- ADS -----------

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

If you say that all A.D.'s should be researched back to day one are you then going to document in the log book that you have researched all the A.D.'s
No, if the AD is noted in the AD logbook as having been done, N/A due to ? or due at ___ Hours, then that AD does not need to be investigated unless it is obvious that it is applicable and has not been done ( like Cessna 150 fuel caps ad)

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter »

Photofly, if you look at my website, you will find annuals are flat rated, I usually will give a customer a price ahead of doing the job and unless something drastic happens that is beyond our control, we stick to it. So, in that respect, we are pretty much like what you are talking about. If we break something by being idiots, it comes out of my pocket, not the customers. If it breaks because shit happens and it was old and rusty, then... Not so much. As for dealerships with cars, there's still people who take their cars to them and listen to the crap handed to them from the "service advisor" who isn't at all mechanically inclined who will tell them that they should to all kinds of things to their vehicle that is not mentioned in that document called the owners manual that actually has the maintenance schedule published in it. I've actually had service advisors tell me that what is in the owners manual really isn't what the manufacturer suggests for maintenance..... Hmmmm. So, yes, people blindly go to the car dealership and pay $140/hr to get screwed but don't want to pay the same for their airplane. In that respect, myself, as the AMO, cannot afford to pay my guys what they deserve because they do a great job but if I raise my rates to pay them what they are worth, private guys will get their annuals done by that guy with his tools in his pickup truck.. Who has no manuals, no calibrated tools, no insurance and usually no clue.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

If you want to charge more than the "guy with his tools in his pickup truck" it's up to you to market yourself as an AMO that's worth more than the guy with tools in his pickup truck.

I don't need rookiepilot to enter the fray to tell you that blaming and trash-talking your customer because he or she doesn't think you're worth what you think you're worth is a pointless exercise. You need to persuade him or her.

Or, close your AMO and open a car dealership.

On the subject of people getting screwed: that's irrelevant to the argument. There are crooked car dealerships, but (believe me) there absolutely are crooked AMOs too. Not yours - but enough of them.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Maintenance”