Signing Bonuses!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Signing Bonuses!

Post by North Shore »

I never, ever, thought that I'd see signing bonuses in Canada.. :shock:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=119517
---------- ADS -----------

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Signing Bonuses!

Post by sstaurus »

Good to see, I hope the guys who are there now are also getting compensated with some kind of retention bonus... However a better salary in the first place wouldn't require bonuses.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Bet it doesn't cover the training bond !!!!!!!

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Flying Low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Flying Low »

sstaurus wrote:Good to see, I hope the guys who are there now are also getting compensated with some kind of retention bonus... However a better salary in the first place wouldn't require bonuses.
The employers aren't stupid. If they can retain pilots with signing and retention bonuses, why would they increase salaries. A lot easier to rescind bonuses when they don't need them. The industry has always been cyclic.

"The ability to ditch an airplane in the Hudson does not qualify a pilot for a pay raise. The ability to get the pilots, with this ability, to work for 30% or 40% pay cuts qualifies those in management for millions in bonuses."
justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

valleyboy wrote:Bet it doesn't cover the training bond !!!!!!!
Did you read the ad?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

12 - month training bond in effect for Captains. (no up front funds required).
I did read the ad:

I did and it does not mention the amount of the bond. I was pondering if the signing bonus would cover the bond if did not complete your contract. It seems a bit of an oxymorn to offer a signing bonus and then say there is a training bond. Makes much more sense to eliminate both.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

valleyboy wrote:Makes much more sense to eliminate both.
Not at all. This way, if you stay a year, you'll be 10k ahead. If you leave earlier, then yeah, they might cancel each other out.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Well I still think training bonds are an abused tool. If there were good 2 way contracts used I can understand it but most training bonds are just that, bondage and one sided and usually totally inflated out of proportion. I understand where they came from and it's pilots that created the situation and opened the door but not to at least include a bottle of KY, it's absurd.

It's logical to think that training bonds would be a gateway to allow salaries to creep up to a reasonable level because of the perceived stability but it seems that's not the case. I always felt lower salaries were the "invisible" training bonds but it seems I was mistaken and companies are double dipping. With what is going on today training bonds should be disappearing, in a couple cases it's true but for the most part the die hards are holding on. It seems that we are a group of whores and they know it :mrgreen:

As a foot note - I have never done a bond or ever will so I just sit back and watch the insanity and prostitution. :smt040

sampsonmcd
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sampsonmcd »

Even a flight school is offering a $2400 signing bonus now. Good sign of things to come.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

valleyboy wrote:Well I still think training bonds are an abused tool. ...
I always felt lower salaries were the "invisible" training bonds but it seems I was mistaken and companies are double dipping. With what is going on today training bonds should be disappearing, in a couple cases it's true but for the most part the die hards are holding on. It seems that we are a group of whores and they know it :mrgreen:

As a foot note - I have never done a bond or ever will so I just sit back and watch the insanity and prostitution. :smt040
I couldn't agree more. I'm sure if you scour AvCanada going back a decade, there's a post from me arguing for retention bonuses and raises as a carrot to get people to stay rather than a bond and punishment if you leave.

I've had to work for some crappy companies. One of the most crappy I worked for had bonds. Had there been a good retention bonus, I likely wouldn't have jumped on the first offer I could to get out of there.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Another way to look at signing bonuses is that they are cheaper in the long run. Company offers signing bonus and it's a one time thing. If they gave that to you in salary it stays with you, so, while it sounds good it lowers your salary in the long term.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

We have had a bit of a revolving door for fuellers. The Boss recently signed a bonus check for a year to the date of employ"won't say how much" . "if you stay it is yours". We still have buddy.he also got a bit of a raise.

Return to “General Comments”