Calgary Flight Training Center (Olds)

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

NDNAV8TR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Calgary Flight Training Center (Olds)

Post by NDNAV8TR »

Good Day,

Looking at starting my PPL (again... :rolleyes: since putting on hold for 15 years). Any info/comments on the Calgary Flight Training Center? I like the idea of training at a quiet (more than Springbank) airport and it is actually a bit closer to me.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Calgary Flight Training Center (Olds)

Post by Beefitarian »

I was thinking of trying their DA40 a few years back but they never answered the phone. I don't blame them it's usually some pain in the butt like me phoning but they lost a chance to raid my rental bucks budget for an hour of dual.

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

They have increased there pricing over the last year by quite a bit. They no longer have a D40. I did my training there because I was very close to the airport. I told them more than once that if it were not for proximity, i would definitely go elsewhere. Overall training was ok, but there were quite a few things that were tedious and unprofessional along the way. Opinions vary...this is just one.

There are freelance options there for sure, but that may not be up everyone's alley.

Good luck

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

How far are you from Reddeer industrial airport? Sky wings was pretty good down south. I presume they are ok there.

NDNAV8TR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NDNAV8TR »

Thanks for the input - I am actually located in Airdrie so for all intensive purposes I am essentially halfway between Olds/Didsbury and Springbank. Each (I have been told) has their pros and cons: Springbank is busy (this can be good and bad)... Olds is quieter and closer to the practice area...

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Yeah, I have never had a problem with busy airspace. When I did my PPL in the early nineties there was a bit of fear mongering about going to YYC. I was told, "just stay away from there. They are too busy and don't like private airplanes." At the time I wanted to get a CPL and thought, "I better get used to busy airspace so I am not afraid of it when I have to go there."Turned out it was not scary at all. So I went to a FTU in YYC.

It definately sucks when you end up in a line up of six planes waiting to depart paying dual rental but I don't think that is all the time. I just went back to Springbank, I am busy with the radios but I am getting used to that again.

One advantage is if you are a pilot sized person you can train in a C-152 at The Calgary Flying Club. They don't have a pool table anymore but the restaurant smells like it's still decent.

Go take an hour of dual at all the places you are considering. Just tell them you want to do some upper air work, you are not sure if you can start training yet and you want a bit more than just a fam flight to check them out. Be sure to have the instructor sign your private training log.

If a FTU won't happily do that without demanding you sign up for a full course I would probably avoid them. It would not be an automatic deal breaker but it would definately be a red flag.

It's strange how the Internet should be a great source of information for this sort of thing but instead, things like Yelp turn into a place where not enough people will bother signing on to post about good things but, most of the dozen or so folks that had a bad experience are there to tell the world. "Worst place ever! My steak was slightly over done and they wouldn't give me free stuff."

I also suggest you get in touch with the Airdrie flying club. Someone there might have an opinion on places to take training.

Good luck, hope you find a place you like.

NDNAV8TR
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NDNAV8TR »

That is great info - Thanks.

On a different note but slightly related topic...

Any advice on how to prove logged hours if your logbook as misplaced?

The story is that I was training (about 15 years ago) and my logbook was kept at the school (they said that "this is how it is done" so I complied not knowing anything different).

I had effectively put my training on hold because of life/job/kids and had forgotten about my logbook. As time went by I realized I would like my book back HOWEVER the school had gone out of business so I was SOL getting my logbook and hence have no proof of my hours....

My question: Is there any way to prove I had logged the hours I had completed (about 23 total) or do I just start from zero...?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

NDNAV8TR wrote:That is great info - Thanks.

On a different note but slightly related topic...

Any advice on how to prove logged hours if your logbook as misplaced?

The story is that I was training (about 15 years ago) and my logbook was kept at the school (they said that "this is how it is done" so I complied not knowing anything different).

I had effectively put my training on hold because of life/job/kids and had forgotten about my logbook. As time went by I realized I would like my book back HOWEVER the school had gone out of business so I was SOL getting my logbook and hence have no proof of my hours....

My question: Is there any way to prove I had logged the hours I had completed (about 23 total) or do I just start from zero...?
Have you checked with the former owners to see if the documents are stored anywhere? Or maybe there's a new flight school at the same location who you could contact to see if they have them?

Return to “Flight Training”