737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

Post by avcraig »

Hello,

I just recently saw a picture of the first AC 737 MAX parked outside with the rudder part of the vertical stab painted in the Air Canada Livery. After researching online I still see no confirmed or even estimated date of the delivery flight. All I see everywhere is "October 2017". Well we are now half way through October and I still haven't heard a thing so I have 3 questions that any of you smart fellas may or may not be able to answer:

1. Date of first delivery?

2. Which base(I believe it would be YYZ) will the first MAX be delivered to?

3. Will AC do a "Celebration Hangar Event"(not sure what the real name is) like how they did in YYZ the very day that the 787 was delivered?

Thanks everyone.
---------- ADS -----------

ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: 737 MAX 8 Delivery and "Celebration Hangar Event"

Post by ToolShed »

Rumour mill is rampant with order swapping for A320 and 321 NEOS/LRs.

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avcraig »

ToolShed wrote:Rumour mill is rampant with order swapping for A320 and 321 NEOS/LRs.
Oh wow, I really hope that is just what you said it is...a rumor.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

avcraig wrote:
ToolShed wrote:Rumour mill is rampant with order swapping for A320 and 321 NEOS/LRs.
Oh wow, I really hope that is just what you said it is...a rumor.
Not that I'm a fan of Bombardier (the way it's managed, nothing against the hard working "regular" folk even the airplanes), but after what Boeing did, I think no Canadian Airline should buy any Boeing products. We should go back to Airbus... A350s A330 NEO and A32X NEO. Westjet should also order Airbus...

Yes, I like Airbus. I'm European, why wouldn't I want it?

Das ist mir wurst...
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

As recent as last week they were still growing the 737 seats on the equipment bid.

They have 2 sims in the building doing double shift on training with a whole bunch of guys already trained and a whole bunch, including new hires on course, they have announced routes (yyz-snn, yul-dub), they have sent employees to Seattle to fly home with the first fin...

I know the Airbus fans are still hopeful, and I don't doubt there will be future Airbus 321 neo LR orders (rouge), but the 737max is coming to AC...

avcraig
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by avcraig »

altiplano wrote:As recent as last week they were still growing the 737 seats on the equipment bid.

They have 2 sims in the building doing double shift on training with a whole bunch of guys already trained and a whole bunch, including new hires on course, they have announced routes (yyz-snn, yul-dub), they have sent employees to Seattle to fly home with the first fin...

I know the Airbus fans are still hopeful, and I don't doubt there will be future Airbus 321 neo LR orders (rouge), but the 737max is coming to AC...
I see, thanks for the info. Let's hope for a close delivery date. I'm getting ready to see this thing in real life.

Ah_yeah
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ah_yeah »

AC could still cancel options and decline purchase rights to achieve some political and patriotic support. It might even fall into the business plan. I agree with alti, we are in way too deep to cancel and swap now. Too bad the Neo outclasses the Max by a mile.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Ah_yeah wrote:AC could still cancel options and decline purchase rights to achieve some political and patriotic support. It might even fall into the business plan. I agree with alti, we are in way too deep to cancel and swap now. Too bad the Neo outclasses the Max by a mile.
AC bought the MAX for the same reason that it bought the c-series......Boeing made AC an offer it could not refuse. The NEO is a better plane in its class but Boeing sharpened its price pencil AND agreed to take 20 190's off of AC's hands. Having said that, I suspect that Boeing assumed that AC would convert some or all of the MAX options. With the c-series order that followed, it is unlikely that AC will convert any of the MAX options. AC has also decided to convert firm MAX 9 deliveries to MAX 8.

And now AC has a chance to see if Airbus wants back in the game by looking at 321NEO's, A330NEO's, and A350's as possible fleet replacements at Rouge.

AC/CR has done a masterful job pitting the manufacturers against each other in order to attain best terms.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Ah_yeah wrote:Too bad the Neo outclasses the Max by a mile.
Why? Sorry I know almost nothing about Airbus.
I know little about the 320 other than it's bigger, burns more fuel, performs worse, but has a nicer front end than the 737. As for the Neo/Max, I have no idea if the previous advantageous are still there.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Bede wrote: Why? Sorry I know almost nothing about Airbus.
I know little about the 320 other than it's bigger, burns more fuel, performs worse, but has a nicer front end than the 737. As for the Neo/Max, I have no idea if the previous advantageous are still there.
321NEO 6000lbs/hr in cruise. Can carry 200 pax. Cabin is taller and wider than the 737. 6+ hour range. In many respects, it is a 757 that burns 25% less fuel.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

I think the issue is you don't always need a 757 sized airplane otherwise no one would have smaller ones. I believe the 37 max's are more efficient than the smaller 320's so that's probably the reason they are extremely successful.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

fish4life wrote:I think the issue is you don't always need a 757 sized airplane otherwise no one would have smaller ones. I believe the 37 max's are more efficient than the smaller 320's so that's probably the reason they are extremely successful.
With the BBD/Airbus C-series and the 320/321NEO product line now formally integrated from a sales and marketing perspective, Airbus can offer 110-210 seats using the worlds most efficient aircraft.

Meanwhile, Boeing is trying to sell yet another version of a 50 year old product......

I think Airbus is about to feed Boeing its lunch in the narrowbody passenger jet market.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

rudder wrote:
fish4life wrote:I think the issue is you don't always need a 757 sized airplane otherwise no one would have smaller ones. I believe the 37 max's are more efficient than the smaller 320's so that's probably the reason they are extremely successful.
With the BBD/Airbus C-series and the 320/321NEO product line now formally integrated from a sales and marketing perspective, Airbus can offer 110-210 seats using the worlds most efficient aircraft.

Meanwhile, Boeing is trying to sell yet another version of a 50 year old product......

I think Airbus is about to feed Boeing its lunch in the narrowbody passenger jet market.
A lot happened yesterday, I agree now with the C-series acquisition Airbus is in a good place and it will be interesting for Boeing. It would make even more sense now to stretch to a CS500 as that would cover the bottom of the 320 line that isn't efficient, while focusing the 320/321 NEO. Who knows maybe the economics of a CS500 may even be better than a 320NEO. Boeing better get on the redesign train at hyper speed, the one thing they do have going for them is the CS and 320 have nothing in common as far as common type so a company that needs CS300 and A320 size airplanes as a mixed fleet will probably just go with the 37.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

fish4life wrote:...CS and 320 have nothing in common as far as common type so a company that needs CS300 and A320 size airplanes as a mixed fleet will probably just go with the 37.
That shouldn't be that big of an issue. Look at the Dash 8-100/300 and the Q400. They are "sold" as a common type rating, but they're not really the same aircraft. Jazz certainly does not view the two as a "common type"

Das ist mir wurst...
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Lots of parts are the same though, along with Maint training and I believe it’s even just trained as a differences at jazz as far as line in doc goes.

Another big factor will be if BBD can get the production costs down to compete with the 37. I saw something about united getting the last 37 order for 25 mill/ plane. If a CS500 is going to be double that on the conservative side at 50 million it doesn’t make sense with the price of fuel. With a 5% cost of borrowing (which is low for airlines) on that 25 mill difference a company could fly a 37 around burning 1000lbs/hr more (actually difference way less) for 3500 hours a year just on the interest savings.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

“3. Will AC do a "Celebration Hangar Event"(not sure what the real name is) like how they did in YYZ the very day that the 787 was delivered?”

You’d have to have a pretty boring life to want to go to a hangar and have a circle jerk around a 737 with fancy new zig zaggy engine cowlings. 8)

Let’s Go Brandon
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Just saw an AA 737MAX8 yesterday. Nice looking bird.

wowie_kazowie
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wowie_kazowie »

here is a photo over on airliners.net
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Air-Cana ... ctHg%3D%3D

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

It's wearing a black mask, like some sort of burglar... which I guess it probably is in Airbus' eyes. :P

Will fix airplanes for food.
A321
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by A321 »

..and I thought it was the mask of Zorro!

Any word on Route Proving flights within Canada for the MAX?

Return to “Air Canada”