The pilot shortage, or what does 55-60k a year get you

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

letmedrive
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The pilot shortage, or what does 55-60k a year get you

Post by letmedrive »

Black_Tusk wrote:
JBI wrote:
johngalt wrote:Regionals are amazing! Who doesn't want get out of their mom's basement into a Radisson or Holiday in to stream Netflix every night.
Certainly a better use of one's time than trolling a month old thread on a message board...
Trolling is right. Because the hotels we stay in are actually really nice.
We get it, you work for Jazz.
---------- ADS -----------

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

rigpiggy wrote:I will admit my sentence structure can be a bit cryptic, oldncold and JBI got the gist. I fly several kingairs, turboprops, and medium pistons. I charge 400-500 day depending on type, plus my 75K main job. Why anybody would work for 55k, unless they are living in their parents basement is beyond me
I assure you they could care less if you get it or not. Either the juice is worth the squeeze for someone or it’s not. If a king air driver is able to handle the pay cut to ensure larger future earnings, good on them. If not. Oh well, enjoy your king air and the earning ceiling it brings. A pilot going to jazz and eventually AC through the PML today can realistically look at earning 150+ a year within 4 or 5 years. Nevermind the higher earnings once you graduate off narrowbody in time. If that’s what one chooses to do.

Doesn’t work for you? Fair enough. Works for someone else? Even better.

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

atphat wrote:
rigpiggy wrote:I will admit my sentence structure can be a bit cryptic, oldncold and JBI got the gist. I fly several kingairs, turboprops, and medium pistons. I charge 400-500 day depending on type, plus my 75K main job. Why anybody would work for 55k, unless they are living in their parents basement is beyond me
I assure you they could care less if you get it or not. Either the juice is worth the squeeze for someone or it’s not. If a king air driver is able to handle the pay cut to ensure larger future earnings, good on them. If not. Oh well, enjoy your king air and the earning ceiling it brings. A pilot going to jazz and eventually AC through the PML today can realistically look at earning 150+ a year within 4 or 5 years. Nevermind the higher earnings once you graduate off narrowbody in time. If that’s what one chooses to do.

Doesn’t work for you? Fair enough. Works for someone else? Even better.
I think the OP is agreeing with you. He's suggesting that posting a job ad for a light twin for 50k and higher experience levels is not a job that they'll get a lot of applicants and/or pilots that they'll keep. Pilots who have the time that they are (were?) looking for would be better off pursuing Jazz or similar as you outline above.

Return to “Employment Forum”