It's time to buzz the tower

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: It's time to buzz the tower

Post by complexintentions »

hahah! I go do a PPC and this thread is still going? Ok, I'm game.
rookiepilot wrote:I'm curious if the pilots here, -- answer honestly -- would be pleased if they were sitting in the back of their company A/C..., or another carrier, and the pilot did something like this without you knowing anything in advance.

My guess is most of you would be less than pleased. :roll:

Not dangerous.

Not particularly cool, professional, with (non pilot ) passengers to do any abnormal maneuvers, in any sized aircraft from a 150 on up...stalls, spins....IMO, and especially without prior permission......things can go wrong.
Guess again. Good lord, most flights I doubt I’d even be awake or notice. How did this conflate to “stalls and spins”? The guy wasn't conducting aerobatics ffs. Exactly my point - overheated hyperbole. Why don’t we save it for something worthy?
atphat wrote:If the plane was empty, sure. It wasn’t. I’m pretty shocked at the responses on this thread. I’m just assuming most are GA pilots. It is not the place of a professional pilot to ever have “fun” at the controls with people on board. Ever. This isn’t a difference of opinion. Want to be treated and perceived as a professional? Act like one. It’s so incredibly black and white.
I know this will disappoint you, but I have "fun" at the controls with people on board, every day I go to work. (Captain, B777). Otherwise why would I even go to work? :mrgreen: Your comment about "black and white" speaks volumes. "Black and Whites" always get frustrated living in a grey world that doesn't fit their neat and tidy, simplistic worldview. Guessing you're kinda young/new to the industry? Not meaning that as an insult, I've just never met anyone over the age of about 30 who hasn't figured out yet the world isn't binary. (There are a few though, like Rockie hahah!) I do get why though, living with a belief in absolutes must be a lot easier.
Rockie wrote: How is a published departure procedure related to this event? I must be missing something.

There are too many retired vintage aircraft pilots and other people who don’t know what they’re talking about saying “no big deal”. Well...it is if you want to keep working in this industry today so if you’re new to this game choose wisely whose advice you listen to.
The point about the published departure procedure is that passengers in the back would have no way of telling the difference between a published departure procedure and this go-around. Duh. Do passengers freak out on your every go-around, Rockie? Mine don't.

But, it's nice to see you adopting your usual condescending tone. :lol: I am certainly not a "retired vintage aircraft pilot" (I wish!), and maybe I know what I'm talking about, maybe I don't. What I do know is in my day job I somehow manage to to be "be treated and perceived as a professional", and I find the level of outrage expressed by a few here pretty entertaining. :mrgreen:
---------- ADS -----------

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Do people film your published instrument departures and post them on the Internet Complex? Do you fly the 777 using made up procedures to make some personal statement?

Don’t pretend to be daft because I know you’re not. Don’t pretend you’ve been living under a rock and are ignorant of the emphasis this industry has been placing on SOP compliance of late either because you simply can’t be that clueless. But then I’ve been wrong before

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Some of these guys go way beyond entertaining Complex, I find this one is down right frightening in his opinions.
TOTALLY reckless for an airline pilot to have a “watch this” moment. Anytime. Anywhere. Maybe that shit flies where you work. Totally out of line where I do.
He gives a whole new meaning to a black and white thought process.

Wow....easing into a ten to twenty degree bank angle for about a forty five degree change of departure heading at a very shallow climb angle, hell the passengers probably did not even know it was being done.

And that is TOTALLY reckless, dear God give me the strength to hope I don't have to fly with that mindset. :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Don't worry Rockie.

I heard there was an FA on the flight deck for the entire maneuver.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

altiplano wrote:Don't worry Rockie.

I heard there was an FA on the flight deck for the entire maneuver.
Oh boy...you funny man.

I believe you work for AC Altiplano or at least one of its feeders, have you been living under a rock too or is what I’ve been saying true? Because if you still haven’t gotten that message there’s a serious problem somewhere in your ability to absorb a relentlessly repeated message.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Incredible.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

U boat mentality anyone?

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Don't take it so personally Rickie.

I'm just joking with you.

I haven't been paying attention that closely to your relentless repetition.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Well then, I guess I’m all alone in being wrong. Looking forward to the next entertaining bit of flying in a large commercial aircraft. Who will it be?

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Well things generally come in threes, we had Halifax then San Francisco so lets see what AC does next.

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Ya still got it, Cat! :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Yeh, goes to show I am to old a cat to be fucked by a kitten. :mrgreen:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Rockie wrote: Surely you know these aren’t the “glory days” of aviation anymore, and that the next generation will be looking at today as the glory days. You also no doubt know what “intentional non-compliance” means and how what this crew did fits alongside that definition. If not you’d better learn PDQ.

Lament the good old days all you like, but if you do stupid stuff in an airplane you know, or should have known will land you in a pile of shit who do you have to blame?

Today isn’t yesterday...
Re:Glory days... just because it's today, doesn't make everything about it better...

Intentional non-compliance is today's buzz term... in the era of LOSA audits where "Roger 350 set" vs. "Roger 350" is intentional non-compliance... taking your shoulder harness off through 10,000 on climb out of YYC is intentional non-compliance... not wearing your blazer after October 1st is intentional non-compliance... again, I said what those guys did in today's environment was wrong, but I think part of the problem is today's environment.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Cat Driver wrote:Yeh, goes to show I am to old a cat to be fucked by a kitten. :mrgreen:
You've gotta be kidding... :roll:
altiplano wrote:Re:Glory days... just because it's today, doesn't make everything about it better...
Never said it did.
altiplano wrote:Intentional non-compliance is today's buzz term...
It's a buzz term with teeth which seems to escape you and many other people including the pilot in this video. What makes this a stupid thing to do is knowing it would have to be explained afterwards to people holding your license and livelihood in their hands who aren't applauding your audacity and skill. If you're ok with that and the consequences sure to result then have at...

I call it stupid.

corytrevor
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by corytrevor »

I call it well done.

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

Rockie (et al) logic - Airbus accidental low level maneuver at night in San Fran taxiway - Safe. Intentional wimpy left bank day VFR - Dangerous.

This is the world we live in kids.

Everything's amazing right now, and nobody's happy.
- Louis CK
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

JeppsOnFire wrote:Rockie (et al) logic - Airbus accidental low level maneuver at night in San Fran taxiway - Safe. Intentional wimpy left bank day VFR - Dangerous.

This is the world we live in kids.
Simple.

Airbus maneuver was a good ol' Canadian carrier, left bank was a scary foreign carrier.

Home team bias.....

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Don't be ridiculous.

1) SFO was a mistake nobody is defending, they are taking steps to ensure it never happens again. If you only knew...
2) The flypast was deliberate.

Get a grip.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'll agree with Rockie there.

2 different things.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Well, on that SFO thread I read numerous comments that said, in essence, "ridiculous comments, , nothing to see here, move on, was a routine go around / missed approach that happens every day, etc etc.....

But ok. Now it's no one is defending that. Musta changed. All good... :mrgreen:

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”