LASIK anyone?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

EatSleepFly
Rank 2
Rank 2

LASIK anyone?

Post by EatSleepFly »

Hi Avcanada,

Just wanted to get some feedback from those of you who had LASIK done. have Lasik scheduled for tentatively next year and would like feedback.

I got an evaluation from LASIK MD in Toronto. I have 30 days off for Vacation next year.

Has anyone had this done and have any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: LASIK anyone?

Post by Roar »

I had it done 15 years ago, best decision I ever made. I went from not being able to see the big E Uncorrected to 20/10 and am still 20/10 now. No side effects at all. The only advice I would have is to follow the after procedure instruction to the letter (never let your eyes get dried while they are healing)

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
sanjet
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by sanjet »

Make sure you discuss that with a aviation medical examiner or Transport Canada medical department before you do it. Good to back yourself up with the governing body.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

Pay the extra for the " wavefront whatever" and dont go to a discount place.Have you been assessed? if you have thin corneas you may need the PRK and not the "flap" the prk takes longer to heal, and might actually leave your eye in better structural shape. The flaps have been known to open. do your reading, ask lots of questions!

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

sanjet wrote:Make sure you discuss that with a aviation medical examiner or Transport Canada medical department before you do it. Good to back yourself up with the governing body.
Good and valid advice.

I recall speaking to my doc about it (my eyesight has gone down lots with age, but I still pass with glasses), and he told me LASIK is no problem, BUT, you get grounded for three months???

Don't take this as any great truth, I really don't know for sure, best to talk to your doc though.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Yes, glasses are a hassle, but I took the view that there are chances of side effects to the laser, and it would be just my luck to be the 1 in 100 guy who ended up with them - with possible detrimental effects to my career. So, no LASIk for me..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
spruceair
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by spruceair »

North Shore wrote:Yes, glasses are a hassle, but I took the view that there are chances of side effects to the laser, and it would be just my luck to be the 1 in 100 guy who ended up with them - with possible detrimental effects to my career. So, no LASIk for me..
That was my conclusion as well.

EatSleepFly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by EatSleepFly »

It's only 30 days now for TC. Would love to hear more from anyone who has done it in recent times.

They have apparently come a far way with night vision issues

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Good then if it is only 30 days down time.

In that case, I would say it is a serious option. I do have an acquaintance of mine who did it well over 18 years ago and has had no problems since. Fly's a big plane.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

Had PRK done about 10 years ago. I chose PRK over Lasik due to sports, etc. There is always a change of that flap dislodging.

Also... Not sure if they have changed, but please shop around. As great as the Lasik MD ad's sound for 499 an eye (or whatever), ask yourself why they are so cheap compared to others in your market. They harassed me for months after my consult like a used car sales man asking when I was going to book my surgery. I ended up paying way more (way way more) once I found out Lasik MD bought their laser second hand from the doctor I ended up going to because he had upgraded to the new model. They are your eyes, don't cheap out.

cap41
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cap41 »

I think the biggest issue is age, If you are younger 20s mid 30s i think its a great option. As you get older, the impact of the surgery seems to lessen. I had a consult last year, they fixed the distance perfectly. However up close / reading would have been slightly worse. I would still require reading glasses. Might as well keep the glasses. My vision was not all that bad. I have prescription glasses, however I don not need to wear them 24/7 just night driving, and some reading. age:47

Tips Up
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tips Up »

North Shore wrote:Yes, glasses are a hassle, but I took the view that there are chances of side effects to the laser, and it would be just my luck to be the 1 in 100 guy who ended up with them - with possible detrimental effects to my career. So, no LASIk for me..

Same here. Colleague of mine had it done. Complication. Rare but he couldn't continue in his career. Glasses are easy.

guyfullofrage
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by guyfullofrage »

lostaviator wrote:Had PRK done about 10 years ago. I chose PRK over Lasik due to sports, etc. There is always a change of that flap dislodging.

Also... Not sure if they have changed, but please shop around. As great as the Lasik MD ad's sound for 499 an eye (or whatever), ask yourself why they are so cheap compared to others in your market. They harassed me for months after my consult like a used car sales man asking when I was going to book my surgery. I ended up paying way more (way way more) once I found out Lasik MD bought their laser second hand from the doctor I ended up going to because he had upgraded to the new model. They are your eyes, don't cheap out.

If the flap becomes dislodged, your head has probably come off so the flap thing will be the least of your worries.........

I had it done 15 years ago..... still better than 20/20...... best money I have ever spent!

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

I had a friend who had it done sometime around 10 years ago and her vision became much worse and no longer correctable with glasses. She eventually took the chance to have it corrected, but the possibility of going blind was a very real risk and she had to really agonize over it (but was I believe at the point where she wasn't legally blind but couldn't drive). If flying is a hobby, well, you could conceivably have to get a new hobby; if it's your livelihood, I personally wouldn't risk it. I know there are enough things to worry about with my medical as I age without going out and risking creating problems....

nohojob
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nohojob »

Same, losing my medical means not being able to support a family of 5. Although i would love to live without glasses i'd rather not take a chance.

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

Last edited by speedah on Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

I would want to find out about long term complications.

Some employers will not hire candidates who have had laser refractive surgery.

That said, intra ocular lens implants are sometimes done for younger people with serious myopia.

IOLs are common for treatment of cataracts once people hit their sixties. I'm about to get one.

Driving Comet
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Driving Comet »

RatherBeFlying wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:13 pm I would want to find out about long term complications.

Some employers will not hire candidates who have had laser refractive surgery.

That said, intra ocular lens implants are sometimes done for younger people with serious myopia.

IOLs are common for treatment of cataracts once people hit their sixties. I'm about to get one.
Who will not hire someone because they've have refractive surgery?

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

A couple decades ago I heard that AC was one such employer. Their policy may have changed, but I'd want to check first

omgwereallgoingtodie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by omgwereallgoingtodie »

Had it done two years ago. Went for the all singing , all dancing all laser wavefront doo-hickey
Cost just shy of 5k, worth every penny. could see 20/20 as soon as I sat up after the surgery. Vision stabilised at 20/20 within a week
no side effects, the laser procedure itself took approx 30 seconds per eye. was actually rather interesting to experience

After one month my optometrist filled in a form for TC and one for driving license people.
Got my medical back with no vision restrictions on it before i got my D/L back

happy to answer any Q's

Return to “General Comments”