Trying to get a AME apprentice job but is really hard

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Ketyo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Trying to get a AME apprentice job but is really hard

Post by Ketyo »

I graduated from SAIT AMT program for almost three months and most of my classmate and I had a really hard time getting a AME apprentice job or any related. Only 2 company gave me a interview so, I don't know is that my resume is missing something or the is just a bad timing for this year?
---------- ADS -----------

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Trying to get a AME apprentice job but is really hard

Post by longjon »

And then the schools put out more graduates looking for work/// If you don't get a job in 18 mo. chances are a recent graduate will have a better chance.

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

Unfortunately, there's simply not a lot of jobs out there right now. There's licensed and experienced AME's out of work right now too.

BGardner
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BGardner »

Not being able to find yourself a job is horse-poop. There are many jobs in Canada, they just aren't right in your lap. Look North when it comes to finding your first gig. Northern Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and the Territories are always looking for apprentices. If you want to get your logbook filled and time in quick, I suggest you start your search in the places mentioned above. Forget about living with Mom and Dad and starting at WestJet. Not everyone gets that luxury. The question isn't where are all the jobs and why aren't I getting hired, it's are you truly applying yourself and exploring every opportunity? Air Nunavut, JD Aero, and Northern Airborne are just a few companies that have been looking for apprentices within the last 3 weeks. Go get'em kid!

747-875
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 747-875 »

Do you have any other aviation experience? If not it might help to take some ramp work on the side or something while you look. The airline I work for most of guys and girls (myself included) in maintenance started with throwing bags, cleaning seats or manning the cargo office before moving up into maintenance.

Also have you looked north? I came back up north after finishing the school for AME and I was on the floor turning wrenches within a week of our graduation ceremony.

tohellnback
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by tohellnback »

The usual shit on this website I can't find a Job!
Have you ever found a job that makes you dedicated to work before you decided to become a ame?
Have you been living off the bank of Ma &pa
You have the intelligences to pass a AME course
If you don't mind traveling and accept that the only thing constant in aviation is change!
then you might be able to land a job
I left ame college in Dawson creek in 1992 with no resumes forwarded to any company and the career counsellors said what are you doing wrong nobody does this
Two days later i was working in Yellowknife and have had a outstanding carreer in aviation and When i want to work i work
Go North Young Man this saying is Gold no seek no find, lotteries are to far fetched
Get off your ass Kid you may become a Engineer

Troubleshot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Troubleshot »

Don't take advice from someone who has this shit-show for grammar skills...

Keep trying, you'll find something.
h.JPG
h.JPG (178.77 KiB) Viewed 7250 times

planemikey
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by planemikey »

Where are all the contract ame's M1/ m2/ structures these days ??/ Have oodles of work with no one available . Apprentices too!! Contact Vic at Contract Aero !250-473-7475

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

planemikey wrote:Where are all the contract ame's M1/ m2/ structures these days ??/ Have oodles of work with no one available . Apprentices too!! Contact Vic at Contract Aero !250-473-7475
My guess would be that the experienced people are going with full time gigs, bypassing the agencies and dealing directly with the AMOs or leaving the industry altogether. It’s simply a matter of financial survival. Most of the contract rates and arrangements I've seen lately weren't very attractive.
As for the hundreds of apprentices that all the schools are churning out each year now; it would be interesting to see the full picture of where they all end up in the year or two following graduation. I doubt many of them find their first job through a contract agency. (I imagine you’re talking about apprentices with some experience, though.)

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

planemikey wrote:Where are all the contract ame's M1/ m2/ structures these days ??/ Have oodles of work with no one available . Apprentices too!! Contact Vic at Contract Aero !250-473-7475

I agree with Gyvair's comments.

Most of the good experienced guys who were around a few years ago have disappeared, and it can be attributed to the continuing low wage offerings and crazy shifts.

Honestly Mike, $38 an hour is garbage for a contract/experienced AME's that you and Vic are continually looking for. Tell your customer's to cough up, but I sense it may be becoming too late.
I've seen a $50 an hour gig come up repeatedly for eastern canada for Dash-8 guys, but it looks like no ones too interested either. Wage seems allright, so is there a hidden detail turning guys off, or just nobody wanting to go to northern quebec for night tours?

For me personally, I haven't used an agency in over 15 years and all I do is contract work.

Addicted4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Addicted4life »

I have to agree with Pat and Gyvair. I have been in aviation for over 30 years and contracting for the last 20 years on and off. I can no longer afford to do it. No travel expenses, shit wages, shit/no per diems, no accommodations. When I started in this game contractors got paid well because we were temporary, not covered by EI, severance etc. So we charged accordingly. What I have seen is AMOs pitting you head hunters against each other and driving down their cost to the point that why would they employ full time when it is cheaper to use contract labour. Not to mention working us like slaves, who actually wants to work 50 60 70 hr weeks. I am better off to stay at home and drive a truck. FYI I started out pushing a broom in the local flying club and gradually worked my way up. I have wrenched on everything balloons, gliders, bug mashers, helicopters, turbo props, biz jets and most boeings and airbuses and I have always been the last guy out the door at contract end. If we were a recognised trade I would be a Master Mechanic and paid accordingly. In this industry I get paid the same as someone with the ink still wet on their license. Oh, I am also a 2500 hr cpl. Right now I have one foot out the door and the other is not too far behind.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

What I have seen is AMOs pitting you head hunters against each other and driving down their cost to the point that why would they employ full time when it is cheaper to use contract labour. Not to mention working us like slaves, who actually wants to work 50 60 70 hr weeks. I am better off to stay at home and drive a truck
Bingo.

Several times I've seen those kind of hours promoted in agency ad's. I think the expectation is general horniness to do nothing but wrench on airplanes.
The sad reality is, at the wages currently offered, it's what a guy needs to do to make it count, particularly if perdiums, transportation, accommodation are not inclusive. This is not singling out your agency, but all of them. You all offer the same thing.
Its hilarious to see a company post on here looking for everything, a few weeks pass, suddenly 3-4 agencies post in succession looking for the same and offering the same.

IMO, $50 with the above included, is minimum what a experienced contractor should be getting in this day and age, with time and a half after 10 hrs up to 12. "working" after 12 hours in my experiences has shown negligible value in quality of work performed, actually past 10 if graveyard.

Otherwise it seems a classic case of getting what you pay for.

Last edited by Pat Richard on Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Not to mention working us like slaves, who actually wants to work 50 60 70 hr weeks

This is no bullshit. I've heard it spoken directly from a manager's mouth.

Unfortunately, there were a few fellow contractors who took and take pride in that.

There's always a phuking hero(s) in the bunch.

edmanster
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by edmanster »

Oh cry me a river! Ive been in this business for 30 years (.. Attn: To Hell& back .. iv grad Dawson creek 87) .. also first job in Yellowknife. Everything from paint stripping Twin otters for 6 months straight to playing tag with mosquitoes in N. Manitoba. Presently dealing with a company in Mississauga - nobody here knows what sweat & panic is .. Seen guys walking around the hanger floor with hands in pockets complaining how tough life can be ..
.. believe me .. u want a job. Start at the southmost hanger & work your way north to the northmost hanger. Knock on every door. Have your tools in your car, pair of workboots, & a can-do attitude in your pocket. You will be employed before you get to the last hanger. Its just a matter of being at the right place at the right time. Get to know the head mechanic personally - shake his hand & look him straight in the eye. Small aviation companies dont have time to waste interviewing people - they want somebody now that looks semi-intelligent & capable. & for Gods sake .. dont let the first question be .. How much u pay ? ...

black hole
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by black hole »

When I worked at AIR spr%%Y; There was a guy overhauling wheels and brakes, just retired from the gas company.15 minutes of training, and he!s doing aircraft work and can sign the check sheet. No other aviation training. WHAAAAAAAAT?

bh

BeaverFlaps
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BeaverFlaps »

Here is my perspective,

Apply to flight training units (flight college, flight school, flight training centre) affiliated Approved Maintenance Organization (AMO)

Reasons:
1.High demand for maintenance + DEEP POCKETS
2.High amount of flight hours flown per year
3.High Potential for flight defects
4.Short inspection cycle turnarounds
5.Many airplanes = many potential snags.

Thoughts:
-With all the reasons I listed above allow the apprentice to get that logbook filled quickly.

-I believe these AMOs are the best place to get a well rounded M1 Industry experience as an Apprentice AME.

-The quicker a apprentice becomes an AME (M1 or M2 or Both) the quicker they can move on to what work they desire. Get a ticket then aim for your dream job.

-Every apprentice will have to "put in their time" in the industry... Sweeping floors, mowing the lawns, scrubbing toilets, running to town, Days upon Days of not wrenching.... BEEN THERE!!----- whatever your doing keep your chin up and have a good attitude it WILL pay off. If the "putting in time" phase persists for too long you may need to find a better AMO. If that is the case DO NOT BURN BRIDGES!Move on with a couple good typed references and a good reputation to set you up for the next job.

-In my M1 experience Flight school was were I was able to lock down my M1 License after 5 years of apprenticing, some people take less time but remember each apprentice will have something unique to offer because that individual brings custom talents to each maintenance organization.

Hope this helps!

let me know your thoughts!

Return to “Maintenance”