Strange Restrictions

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Strange Restrictions

Post by ahramin »

I'm looking at ny uncle's PPL. He stopped flying for 20 years and got current again 2 years ago. The night rating from 20 years ago is still on the licence as it should be, but underneath in Remarks it has:

Valid Daylight Only, 2-Way Radio Required At Controlled Airports

I'm thinking it must be a colour vision thing but he's sure his doc never mentioned a colour deficiency during the medical. Plus he got his night rating years ago and I'm not sure if you can develop colour blindness with age. The medical certificate has no limitations except that glasses must be available. Anyone seen this before?
---------- ADS -----------

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Strange Restrictions

Post by pdw »

ahramin wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:05 pm I'm looking at ny uncles PPL. He stopped flying for 20 years and got current again 2 years ago.

Valid Daylight Only, 2-Way Radio Required At Controlled Airports
An old night rating would also require getting current.

I believe he needs to have actual proof of the radio license when using the "2-way radio".

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

pdw wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:32 am I believe he needs to have actual proof of the radio license when using the "2-way radio".
Sort of.
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/regu/ ... html#sec38 says:
Proof of Radio Authorization

38 The holder of a radio authorization shall, at the request of an inspector appointed pursuant to the Act, show the radio authorization or a copy thereof to the inspector within 48 hours after the request.

pdw
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by pdw »

Ok, and it takes a while to get a copy if it's not around any more, more than 48 hours. A good reason for them to put that in the remarks. Proof of Pilot's license and medical is the quickest way to have a new one issued / sent out.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I was able to replace my Radio Operator's License/Certificate with an email to Industry Canada. No need to show my Pilot's license to anyone, they had me on file. A fellow pilot who learned to fly before they issued radio licenses (and hence never had one) was able to have one issued based on his 50+ years of flying experience... Again, he didn't have to send anything to IC, just explained his situation to them and they sent him one. In each case it only took a week in the mail to arrive.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

This went down the rabbit hole quickly. Thank you for your input all. This is not a question about a radio licence or about night currency requirements. It's a question about strange restrictions on a PPL. He has his RROC.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

If there's danger in the language, gentlemen, I recommend no further use of your two-way radio.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

ahramin wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:48 pm This went down the rabbit hole quickly. Thank you for your input all. This is not a question about a radio licence or about night currency requirements. It's a question about strange restrictions on a PPL. He has his RROC.
Sorry for the drift. I meant to include this earlier. The only time I have seen this restriction, I asked about it, and the guy was indeed color blind.

bobm
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bobm »

Stretching my memory here but I think he was deemed color blind. So, he must have a 2 way radio as he cannot "see" the red or green lights from the tower. Night flying restricted for the same reason (nav lights) so, not sure why he would have "had" a night rating unless he became color blind later.

Return to “General Comments”